Sponsored by:

Passenger Airbag Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Airbag Removal Question

want to remove the leather cover over the airbag to re-leather. can you just remove the cover or does the entire unit need to come off. any links to site which provide removal direction much appreciated...thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:09 AM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did a window regulator and I think the whole door panel needs to come off. from what I remember, but I didn't pay much attention to the airbag part...

Here is the best DIY I could find on taking off the door panel. It was pretty easy once you do it...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=504...b4f578ff6b3882
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

IIRC, the leather is part of the door itself and "rips" open upon airbag use. The airbag is a sealed unit that is mounted to the door frame independent of the door panel itself.

Remove the door panel and you will be easily able to determine if the just the leather airbag cover is removable or if part of the door.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

i'm sorry guys for not being specific. it is the airbag on the dash i'm talking about not the door...thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 03:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That one is more difficult to remove as it comes out with the removal of several bolts that are mounted to the structural support behind the dash. You might be able to get it out without removing the dash. From what I remember when gutting my spec boxster, the leather cover is on a hinge attached to the airbag itself so the entire unit comes out. I'm heading out right now but can get you a pdf of removal later tonight or tomorrow if nobody else can.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

thanks Dell.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You might very well be able to get it out by just removing the side vent and the speaker. Here is a diagram of the dash removal as well as the vent. The vent is for the drivers side but the passenger is very easy.

Also are some pics of the airbag removed. The bolts that hold it in place are VERTICAL and you can see (another pic attached) that shows the support piece that it mounts onto that is welded onto the horizontal support.
Attached Images     
Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

for those who might be interested, the removal of the in-dash airbag is pretty simple. the hardest part is removing the glovebox which is not real complicated. need to remove some screws around the glovebox surround and disconnect the globebox light by simply pulling on the small connector. once you have the glovebox out you can see two, blue colored bolts that secure the airbag frame to the dash substructure. remove the two bolts and disconnect the electrical connection and pull the entire unit out. took me total of about 20 minutes. pretty simple. do not need to remove anything else from the car.

before you do anything though make sure you disconnect the battery.

Quick Reply: Passenger Airbag Removal Question