Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduction of the engine rattle that many 996 turbos exibit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 PM
innovator
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can now say for certain that the Rotella T is better for taming the rattle. I switched to Delvec ESP and the rattle is as bad as with the 0w-40 Mobil 1
Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Rotella T6 seems to be a really good oil, and easy to find, oh- and cheap too.

I'm on my 2nd fill with Delvac 1- the rattle comes and goes- seems somewhat temperature dependent.

I'll probably run 3 total fills with Delvac 1 (9k miles), then try Rotella.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:38 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
I'm on my 2nd fill with Delvac 1- the rattle comes and goes- seems somewhat temperature dependent.
having heard your car idling just the other day.. if it gets any quieter, you'll have to start it! same with carbon's car. mine just sat there rattling.

i'm ready to take the delvac plunge.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, just put Rotella T6 in. This VOA suggests it might be a better oil than our M1 Delvac and TDT to be honest...and it is cheaper to boot. Fewer decals on Porsche race cars....

From these, it is probably no different than the delvac.

Walmart to me 22$/gallon. Delvac, I cannot find. Done.

T6
http://media.photobucket.com/image/s...04-001.gif?o=1

Delvac Mobil 1

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=248062

New coil packs and new Bosch FR6LDC plugs. Car is a keeper. Just wonderful to drive.

And, I think I am switching to this oil for a bit unless I hear noises. It truly got the engine to sound "better"...just like the first author of this thread suggested. Thanks guys for clueing me in.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 11-24-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:35 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1500 miles. NO, repeat, NO oil use.

Nice and quiet.

FYI.

Jeff

(t6)
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM
AngelOfGrief
8th Gear

Hello.

I have just found this thread... Thing is, my prob is a little different. I bought a 996tt my2002 about 2 years ago. It was perfect, it never had the chain rattle that most turbos have, and I was sort of proud. Then, last spring I suddenly had the IMS noise problem (like on Youtube video on page 3 of this thread), had to have my engine torn apart to address the prob. Turned out woodruff lock and drivechain sprocket. Had to replace them, the IMS itself was ok. Didn't actually replace anything else except piston rings, rod bearings (there was wear) and of course all gaskets that you replace when you rebuild the engine etc etc. The mechanic who did it for me is my friend, he has about 15 yrs of Porsche experience, however he only worked on air-cooled engines before.

Now, the engine was back in the car, TADA! Here was the chain noise that I never had before! It only appears when engine is heated, but it's damn loud!! It's different from IMS noise, it's like 2x times more frequent. After rebuild we put in Motul 300V, yesterday I replaced the oil with Castrol 10W60 hoping the sound would go away, but it remained the same.

We already removed the left tensioner, made sure it was ok, and the sound (used stetoscope) seems to be coming from the left oil pump. The mechanic also said he realized on the right side oil is supplied to the tensioner only, on the left it's passed thru the tensioner and goes to the left turbo. That's the reason, he said, we may have this sound on the left on 996tt.

The thing is, what I have is much louder than on most cars. Once I open the sunroof, I can hear it even in open space...

Does anyone have any idea what happend during engine rebuild that may have caused this? The mechanic is clueless too.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a loud exhaust and your problem will be solved forever.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 PM
MTNRIDE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting dialog.. I've been watching and reading all the posts on this subject. I have an 02 996tt and it has the "normal" turbo rattle at the low end of the idle. Fresh oil changes are fine if you can afford the luxury to quiet it down a bit for a little while. Couldn't hurt. On the other hand.. if this is a normal sound these amazing motors produce at low idle, wouldn't Porsche have declared it as such long ago? Does anyone know what Porsche has said about it, if anything?
For me, the evidence is sufficient to demonstrate the noise is as normal as the old turbo whistle or ringing of your dual quads. It's just what it does. Relax and enjoy the car. Wanna worry about something? Worry about the increased use of tracking drones in law enforcement. Think you have a disadvantage against instant on radar guns? Just wait!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 PM
zblake
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTNRIDE
Interesting dialog.. I've been watching and reading all the posts on this subject. I have an 02 996tt and it has the "normal" turbo rattle at the low end of the idle. Fresh oil changes are fine if you can afford the luxury to quiet it down a bit for a little while. Couldn't hurt. On the other hand.. if this is a normal sound these amazing motors produce at low idle, wouldn't Porsche have declared it as such long ago? Does anyone know what Porsche has said about it, if anything?
For me, the evidence is sufficient to demonstrate the noise is as normal as the old turbo whistle or ringing of your dual quads. It's just what it does. Relax and enjoy the car. Wanna worry about something? Worry about the increased use of tracking drones in law enforcement. Think you have a disadvantage against instant on radar guns? Just wait!
Name:  drones_zps82df1edb.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  12.1 KB
Old 10-21-2013, 12:40 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MTNRIDE
Wanna worry about something? Worry about the increased use of tracking drones in law enforcement. Think you have a disadvantage against instant on radar guns? Just wait!
given that the use of drones now regularly includes the assassination of intended targets ( not here!? but just give them a minute.. ) and abroad, i would think a speeding ticket would be the least of my concerns vis a vis drones. at least speeding tickets aren't given or adjudicated extra-judiciously!

in far more pressing news, i have quieted my rattle by mixing 2.5 qts of m1 5/40 to my regular 0/40 fill. lol..i think.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:13 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 268 Posts

These cars are very quiet IMO. I actually like the engine sound upon start, low RPMS. That said, I am going to try Rotella T6 next oil change (after using M1 5w-50 for last 4 changes).
Old 10-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Dif
1st Gear

Wow wow wow. Valvetrain noise on 996tt is normal & incomparable to any other car!!!! As for the oil issues, it's apparent u don't understand oil properties & spec's, 5-40 vs 0-40 is no problem, I actually use M1 5-40using anything but full synthetic oil is a mistake on a TT as ur finding out in your repair bills use the best oil u can buy!! It appears u guys r confusing IMS bearing noise and trying to mask it, that's a mistake as it will cost u, as in a new engine!!! FIX the IMS bearing if u hear it, it's giving u a heads up, so listen too it. After all there r a lot of people who get the normal "no warning catastropheic failure!!!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Dif, Welcome...

You do realize that this engine does not have a simple IMS BEARING fix... It does not share anything in common to the NA version. You have to split the engine case to replace the IMS bearings. Traditional bearing shells vs a roller bearing setup (NA engine).
Old 10-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dif, the M96 engine is the one with the IMS bearing issues. Turbos have as Kevin stated a totally different setup! The turbo is a metzger engine which is a derivative of the GT1 race engine. The M96 is not!
One other point the M1 5w-50 is a porsche recommended oil in climates over 45 degrees.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:24 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

There's a "death rattle" at idle? The only time I hear anything like that is if I don't slip the clutch sufficiently and allow a start from dead stop that almost kills the engine (with 457 lb-ft of torque, I do mean "almost"). ADDED: I have 42,000 miles on my 2005.

Quick Reply: Reduction of the engine rattle that many 996 turbos exibit.