Sponsored by:

Glove compartment light

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:54 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glove compartment light

I went to lock the car and got a single horn blip. I’ve checked the usual lids, to no avail. It took me some time to work out that the glove compartment light is not switching off. I’ve taken the light bulb out, so I don’t wake up to empty battery in the morning. Then I found this contact of some kind in the glove box. I have checked pet but cannot see where this could be from or where micro switch is located. Anyone had this?
Attached Images   
Old 10-10-2011, 06:37 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

the metal arm that you show connects to a switch which in turn mounts on the left side of the glove box plastic frame. when the glove door closes it makes contact with the metal arm and closes the switch which turns off the light. if it keeps popping off you might need to glue it to the switch.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Thanks mate. Where? Can you tell me some more please? Where to the side? Can you point me in the right direction on the actual illustration I attached? Do I need to remove the glove box to re-attach?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:27 PM
daytrip00
Intermediate

If you had the good sense to get a 2001, you wouldn't have to deal with this crap. It doesn't have a glove box!

I'm kidding, of course. Just a little frustrated that I don't have a glove box
Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daytrip00
If you had the good sense to get a 2001, you wouldn't have to deal with this crap. It doesn't have a glove box!

I'm kidding, of course. Just a little frustrated that I don't have a glove box
You are damn right! Such fiddly design! What’s wrong with a proper small physical switch like on the fridge; push-in push-out, rather than this micro switch crap? In my 944 turbo switch never broke. They can stuff 997, 991 they are just getting bigger on marketing and smaller on quality.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SimonK
Thanks mate. Where? Can you tell me some more please? Where to the side? Can you point me in the right direction on the actual illustration I attached? Do I need to remove the glove box to re-attach?
simon:

its best to remove the glove box. the switch i'm referring to attaches to the frame body of the glove box on the left side towards the rear. there is a slot on the frame where the switch attaches to and the metal arm protudes thru the slot. as you close the glove box the side of the box makes contact with the metal arm and pushes the arm in which in turn closes the switch.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:03 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by manny_g
simon:

its best to remove the glove box. the switch i'm referring to attaches to the frame body of the glove box on the left side towards the rear. there is a slot on the frame where the switch attaches to and the metal arm protudes thru the slot. as you close the glove box the side of the box makes contact with the metal arm and pushes the arm in which in turn closes the switch.
Thanks mate job done. Yes, you need to take the glove box out – not as difficult as I initially thought. I super-glued the metal part into plastic just to make sure it doesn’t pop out again. What an inferior design though. So guys if your car gives you a blip when locking your car and everything seems shut and ok, make sure you check your glove box if the light is on, otherwise you might wake up to a dead battery.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2011, 03:46 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

simon

good job...i really do not think its an inferior design, its just not complex. sometimes complicated designs translate to higher repair costs..
Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I agree to a point, but surely putting the micro switch on the top ledge facing downwards or the back facing frontwards, so that the glove box would push into it when closed would have been a neater solution without the need for this flimsy metal part prone to disengaging the micro switch base and falling out?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 PM
daytrip00
Intermediate

I could rant all day about the stupid design decisions Porsche made with our cars. (Hello, no dipstick? WTF!!) Thank god it's so wonderful to drive.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:32 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Thank god.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daytrip00
I could rant all day about the stupid design decisions Porsche made with our cars. (Hello, no dipstick? WTF!!) Thank god it's so wonderful to drive.
Right on. Not having a dipstick must have been the idea from a dipstick!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:58 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by uschoice
Right on. Not having a dipstick must have been the idea from a dipstick!
Ha ha ha. Clever. :-).

Quick Reply: Glove compartment light