Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Turbo Coupe ... Pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Santerra
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, the SY 996tt here in town didn't work out. So, keep looking. There is a white '03 X50 996tt under consideration now ... on the tail where it usually has the word "Turbo" it's shows instead "911". The door sills show the word "Turbo". Does that mean anything?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Santerra
Okay, the SY 996tt here in town didn't work out. So, keep looking. There is a white '03 X50 996tt under consideration now ... on the tail where it usually has the word "Turbo" it's shows instead "911". The door sills show the word "Turbo". Does that mean anything?
Means you need to keep looking.

Seriously, I'm not the expert on model badges but it reads wrong.

My first thought was the car has had some body work at the rear of the car and not very good work to not ensure the right badge is installed.

Get the VIN and do a check to see what the VIN decodes to, at least.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

There is a option code of emblem delete.. However , I was unaware of the option 911
Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

on the tail where it usually has the word "Turbo" it's shows instead "911". The door sills show the word "Turbo". Does that mean anything?
I think it means get a hold of LVDell and buy his car, it has the right emblem
I'll trailer it to KC for you over Tgiving.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Dell is a deal at that price range
Old 10-21-2011, 09:20 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Means you need to keep looking.

Seriously, I'm not the expert on model badges but it reads wrong.
c'mon. no one replaced that badging accidentally ..you can't really think because of the "911" where the turbo badge belongs that should be enough to have you walk away from what might otherwise be a great car? that seems rash. these cars are as you know, pushing 10 years old. people change stuff. i was thinking of bailing the turbo badge for the very same "911" but that's primarily because i have a very "loud" "turbo" sticker down the side skirts and it's either the stickers or the rear deck badge that has gotta go! .. at least i wont put another S like i did before on my old x50

and somewhat off topic, but more importantly, as others have said it and i agree not even knowing the guy or the car.. but it seems to me that anyone in here looking for a 996tt that doesn't SERIOUSLY consider this dell's car in here at what? ..50k$ give or take with 50k miles?.. is nuts...

that's one insanely clean example.. sorry for rambling...
Old 10-22-2011, 02:40 AM
cibergypsy
Instructor

Why didn't it work out? I mean, if you are at liberty to tell or don't mind me asking. I have been looking at that car from afar as it looks very nice on eBay. Was it price or was it something that came up on a PPI? Both Porsche dealers in that area won't do PPIs anymore, AFAIK, will they?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Santerra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cibergypsy
Why didn't it work out? I mean, if you are at liberty to tell or don't mind me asking. I have been looking at that car from afar as it looks very nice on eBay. Was it price or was it something that came up on a PPI? Both Porsche dealers in that area won't do PPIs anymore, AFAIK, will they?
I'm looking for a low miles, one or two owner, '02 to '04 996tt, original factory car, manual. X50 option desirable. I drove this '03 SY car (it drove good), and had a detailed PPI done by well-known independent 3rd party guy. True, it's a low(er) miles, 1-owner car but no maintenance records available for first 5 years and needs +/-$4k work (tires shot, lots of body dings, evidence of repaint work all around car, wheels need refinishing and straightening, driver's bolsters need replacement, etc) to get back to "go". Plus seller has an "interesting" sales track record ... just couldn't get price to match car.

FWIW the only two 996 models I could find that had a "911" badge on the tail were the "Millennium" in 2000 and "Anniversary" in 2004.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Letmebegus
Advanced

In your opinion, what is the car worth/what would you buy it for - compared to what they are asking?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Santerra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Letmebegus
In your opinion, what is the car worth/what would you buy it for - compared to what they are asking?
... See Post #2
Old 10-23-2011, 01:22 AM
cibergypsy
Instructor

I'm looking for a low miles, one or two owner, '02 to '04 996tt, original factory car, manual. X50 option desirable. I drove this '03 SY car (it drove good), and had a detailed PPI done by well-known independent 3rd party guy. True, it's a low(er) miles, 1-owner car but no maintenance records available for first 5 years and needs +/-$4k work (tires shot, lots of body dings, evidence of repaint work all around car, wheels need refinishing and straightening, driver's bolsters need replacement, etc) to get back to "go". Plus seller has an "interesting" sales track record ... just couldn't get price to match car.

FWIW the only two 996 models I could find that had a "911" badge on the tail were the "Millennium" in 2000 and "Anniversary" in 2004.
Yes, I too would run away from this car! Photos can be deceiving and on eBay it looks very good... nothing beats seeing it in person, as you did! Thanks for the reply as now I can discard this car too.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
c'mon. no one replaced that badging accidentally ..you can't really think because of the "911" where the turbo badge belongs that should be enough to have you walk away from what might otherwise be a great car? that seems rash. these cars are as you know, pushing 10 years old. people change stuff. i was thinking of bailing the turbo badge for the very same "911" but that's primarily because i have a very "loud" "turbo" sticker down the side skirts and it's either the stickers or the rear deck badge that has gotta go! .. at least i wont put another S like i did before on my old x50

and somewhat off topic, but more importantly, as others have said it and i agree not even knowing the guy or the car.. but it seems to me that anyone in here looking for a 996tt that doesn't SERIOUSLY consider this dell's car in here at what? ..50k$ give or take with 50k miles?.. is nuts...

With the inability to view the car in person or have an expert view the car and get a suitable explanation for the badging issue yes, walk away from the car.

I can't comment one way or the other on ``dell's`` car other than if the car on the surface appeals to the OP he should look into the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50

I have talked to the OP offline and I don't think my car is what he is looking for.

As far as the badging, I agree it's not "replaced accidentally" like that. Geez, where does Macster come up with this crap? While there are standard badges that come with the car, there are also options to model delete as well as use other optional badges. For example, I have the "911" badge on my 996 CAB. It does not scream "massive rear end collision and rear badge replaced". It screams PERSONALIZATION!

Good luck to the OP finding the car he is looking for. The searching is just as much fun as finally buying one. Just keep posting ones you look at for input and the brain trust here will help. Just remember to ignore the novels and irrational explanations Macster posts.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Santerra
Intermediate

All replies, comments, and views are greatly appreciated. I confess you all know a lot more than I do. Up until 3 weeks ago I was trying to find a really nice manual 928 GTS but just couldn't do it. Plus, repair guys for these wonderful cars are far and few between. So, I went to plan "B" ... a manual 996 turbo coupe, as close to factory stock as possible. Cars offered for sale by Alex and Dell are very nice indeed and I'm sure very fast. Somebody will be getting two incredible Porsches. I'm concentrating on finding a one or two-owner, low(er) mileage, factory stock 996 turbo coupe, hopefully with X50 option and no ECU remapping. They are around, just spread out thousands of miles apart so going to see and evaluate them takes some time. Of course my wife understands all of this ...
Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
With the inability to view the car in person or have an expert view the car and get a suitable explanation for the badging issue yes, walk away from the car.

I can't comment one way or the other on ``dell's`` car other than if the car on the surface appeals to the OP he should look into the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
i'm confident it wouldn't be presumptuous to assume he was either having someone *qualified* look at the car, he would look himself, or both. i still think as illustrated by dell's example that badging is simply that, "badging", and that you are possibly more pedantic even than i am but thanks for your response. i suspect your car is immaculate

Quick Reply: 2003 Turbo Coupe ... Pricing?