Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could do it again, what 996 Turbo would you get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:16 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

I looked for mine for 10+ months, i love it i just wish I could add a gt3 or maybe 964rs or something of that nature. I have problems lol not a peep chad
Old 12-28-2011, 11:22 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blockhed
I looked for mine for 10+ months, i love it i just wish I could add a gt3 or maybe 964rs or something of that nature. I have problems lol not a peep chad
peep! "have problems" is a severe understatement!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Santerra
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
Looking for an '02+ 996 Turbo (I need my glovebox) cars and really surprised at the dearth of good examples out there. Lots of ugly aftermarket wheels. Lots of tiptronics and convertibles.

All things being equal, would you take the $42k car with 47k miles or the $50k car with 22k miles?

**What would YOU be looking for in your next 996 Turbo**?

Are eBay, Cars.com, and Autotrader the best places to look? Any other sites?

I'm willing to travel anywhere in the US to get the right car if that matters.
Just bought an '02 996tt coupe less than 60 days ago, after scouring the scene for several months. I decided early on that I did NOT have to have an X-50 car but did want a 6-speed coupe. I decided to follow the "one-owner, very-low-miles, all-or-mostly original condition, and pay-a-bit-more, approach". As others have said, always get a 3rd party full-blown PPI and ask questions (and talk to the mechanic), always get sequential maintenance/repair records and ask questions, and spend some time talking with the owner about the car. Drive the car for at least 30 minutes under a variety of road conditions and speeds. Be prepared to hop on a plane if you find one you like as odds are you won't find it in the city you live in. For me, it was a fun process, learned a lot, and couldn't be happier with the outcome.

I'm in the market for updated wheels. Just for the record ... what are the ugly aftermarket wheels you mentioned?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R5 Turbo 2
First rule:

DO NOT buy a car that has been owned by a woman.

Second rule:

See first rule.
Third rule, see first and second rule!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

I would buy a GT2 or GT3. Quite honestly, for me anyway, the compromise of the front drive system isn't worth the reward of owning the Porsche 996TT. I'm a track day guy, so take it with a grain of salt. But you have to add a lot of parts in order to make the chassis as stable and competitive as the other two models. Not to mention the whole "lack of" transaxle cooling that will bite you if you push the car to hard for to long. And the whole "abomination" that Porsche incorporated for the clutch hydraulic system.

Anyway... Loved mine, as it was truly an amazing machine. But I wouldn't buy another one that didn't have the above issues addressed.
Mike
Old 01-02-2012, 10:04 AM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

I bought a car that was owned by a woman. It had a hole worn in the mat where her heel was while on the gas and it had a scratched-up leather door pull where some apparently large, pointy rings had done damage. However, mechanically it was well cared for in its three years and 13,300 miles. I made the selling Dealership replace the door pull and the chin spoiler (Are there any used cars that don't have this problem?). Nearly four years later and with 33,250 miles on the clock, it's winning Concours events and kicking butt on the track!

Get one that has some miles on it - not too many and not too few. Use the car; it'll love you for it. Of course, do ALL the maintenance and keep ALL the records - the time will come when you want to sell your baby. I had a CPO warranty, but I guess the time for that on 996s is passed. It's a Porsche: buy as new as you can afford because improvements are incorporated as they come up, not just at model year changes.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DesignerGenes

Get one that has some miles on it - not too many and not too few.
concur on the "drive it" bit. it's been said ad nauseum for a reason. these cars seem to run better and with less issues the MORE they are driven. i swear it's that vw heritage.

when i got my x50 with very low miles. everything we know and expect to fail ( you know..the "LIST " ) all went bad in rapid succession, thankfully all fixed, and all under cpo.

but when i got my current car with 70k miles, all that stuff had been addressed, and although it had been tracked and driven HARD..

it's been trouble free. ( knock wood )
Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Is the general consensus here to avoid cars that are lightly modified? In my relatively new search, I'd like to find a car (preferably here or on 6speed) that has been enthusiast owned and mildly modified (exhaust, reputable tune, & suspension) as I would be doing those things anyway and would prefer someone else take the ~$7k hit on the modifications.

I see cars with 60k miles becoming more common and some of those fit the "lightly modified" criteria but then I start to wonder about maintenance and reliability.

So lower miles and no mods are criteria paramount to price?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If maintained and "lightly" modified, I would not worry. Suspension if done well: a plus. Exhaust if a good one: a plus. Tune if light...a plus (reputable).

My 2c.

jb
Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
If maintained and "lightly" modified, I would not worry. Suspension if done well: a plus. Exhaust if a good one: a plus. Tune if light...a plus (reputable).
I think exhaust would be a positive if anything but for a set of straight pipes (I'd prefer stock in that place).

Tune I would avoid GIAC & REVO...but I think anything from EPL, Evoms, or preferably Protomotive would be a major plus. I think I would shy away from cars with anything more than a set of K24s with a tune as I would hate to stress the motor beyond its safe point.

Quick Reply: If you could do it again, what 996 Turbo would you get?