Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could do it again, what 996 Turbo would you get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Skullbussa
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default If you could do it again, what 996 Turbo would you get?

Looking for an '02+ 996 Turbo (I need my glovebox) cars and really surprised at the dearth of good examples out there. Lots of ugly aftermarket wheels. Lots of tiptronics and convertibles.

All things being equal, would you take the $42k car with 47k miles or the $50k car with 22k miles?

**What would YOU be looking for in your next 996 Turbo**?

Are eBay, Cars.com, and Autotrader the best places to look? Any other sites?

I'm willing to travel anywhere in the US to get the right car if that matters.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

My take is to grind the $50K car to $48.5 and enjoy the near new car. The up side is that you will get alot of the delta back in your pocket when you sell the car.

The only exception is if you can find a original owner 44K to 48K mile car. The down side to that is, most original owners will ask more monies! Catch 22.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
puma
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would get the cheapest possible, age seems to be more of a concern than milleage with these cars. I would buy the cheapest so i have money to fix the things that will need to be fixed anyway, ergardless of milleage. But i work on the car myself, might be an other thing if you get it repaired at the dealer everytime.

Also, make sure you get the color you want the FIRST time. If i had to do it again, i would pay more and get the color i really want.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're doing the right thing by seeking 996tt owners advice early in your search. Search the posts that reference what to look for and PPI's and such.
We bought a multi owner mid 48k mile car with warranty. It did need repairs shortly after purchase - which warranty helped with. Having to do it again, I wouldn't buy a multi owner car from a used dealer, as they rarely have a good idea about the service/vehicle history, in spite of what they say. Then there is the whole debate about a car that has been tracked versus a car that sits around all its life.
Enjoy your search, take your time, and keep us posted.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 48K mile car with a CPO. I'm the third owner.

So far no regrets at all. The car was extremely well cared for by the previous two owners and I have all the service records.

The downside is that I know I will begin having to replace worn stuff. The upside is that with the savings, I don't feel bad about that and I can upgrade things as I replace them. For example I needed a new front strut and went ahead and upgraded to the X73 suspension. The upgrade was about 2500, but I probably picked up at least 1000 in market value, so the upgrade cost me just a little more than a new set of stock struts.

It really depends on what you want out of the car, but there is nothing wrong with an extremely well cared for car that has a few miles on it.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 PM
schred
Racer

I would not change a thing about the way I bought my car and the car I bought.
Low , low miles, well kept at a fair market price at that time ( 5 years ago)
The way these cars are going at the moment,, If you buy a good clean one and take car of it, you wont loose much if any when and if you sell.
There are a lot of them on the market and you can be patient and picky about your choice.
Get one that is as close to perfect as you can and you wont regret it. These things are bullitproof and can be driven hard!
Good luck
Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 PM
schred
Racer

I almost forgot the two most important rules,,, PPI, PPI, PPI,, and after you get her home, call Kevin for a tune and enjoy it for years to come ! Aside from getting the maintanance up to date, his tune is the best bang for the buck that you can spend on these cars.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
Looking for an '02+ 996 Turbo (I need my glovebox) cars and really surprised at the dearth of good examples out there. Lots of ugly aftermarket wheels. Lots of tiptronics and convertibles.

All things being equal, would you take the $42k car with 47k miles or the $50k car with 22k miles?

**What would YOU be looking for in your next 996 Turbo**?

Are eBay, Cars.com, and Autotrader the best places to look? Any other sites?

I'm willing to travel anywhere in the US to get the right car if that matters.
Depends upon how important cost vs. low miles is to you.

I prefer low miles but with a warranty. My 03 that I bought in June '09 came with just 10K miles but a 2 year 100K mile CPO warranty. The CPO warranty was worth it.

I love my 03 Turbo but I would not buy another one. How long I'll keep this car I do not yet know. I may sell it after the first of the year, I may keep it until the wheels fall off.

Look everywhere. A good car is where you find it and you should not limit yourself to just a few sites or sources of used cars.

Were I in the market for another Turbo, I would look for a stock well maintained car in good condition. The nearer the car the better. A CPO warranty or good 3rd party warranty a plus.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:29 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Searched. Got a one owner car with warranty off a high end, private used dealer for a fair but not bottom line price. PPI'd at a PCA tech location in a major city.

I've fixed all the issues that have come up.

If I bought today, I'd do the same or buy from a guy like me with all the records of service, knows to cool it down 2min after every drive, etc.

Had to be a coupe. Had to be stick. Hand to have a nice interior.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-28-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:12 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I looked for over 10 months at hundreds of turbos all across the country. If I found a car that looked good and would buy it if it checked out, I'd have someone do a walk around inspection and report their findings. If it still looked good, I'd pay for a PPI where I had outlined critical things to be checked out by an expert. I had a half dozen PPIs done before I found the right car.

I bought an '04 Turbo Cab with 14,750 miles. I paid a bit more than I had allotted, but price is only one of the considerations and not the most important to me. It had 4 keys, all books, all service records and receipts. It had had the oil changed about every 2600 miles. This car looked brand new in nearly every respect. I've owned it since April. Still looks and drives like new. I'm very happy with my decision. I never buy on impulse and don't get in a hurry. It's a long drawn out process that takes the emotion out of the purchase. It pays big dividends in the long run. I don't quickly tire of what I buy and am as happy with my purchase years later as the day I bought it. This was the case with my previous 996 as well.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You looked at hundreds of turbos?! Sounds like my search for a wife
Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am happy with my purchase! I went out of the way to get the color I wanted (my wife actually suggested that) and was lucky a clean one popped up pretty early in my search.

Only regrets I have are some of the mods I have done, but most of those have been corrected - live and learn! It is a love / hate when you mod, but I am in the love stage right now!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 PM
R5 Turbo 2
Advanced

First rule:

DO NOT buy a car that has been owned by a woman.

Second rule:

See first rule.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:41 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R5 Turbo 2
First rule:

DO NOT buy a car that has been owned by a woman.

Second rule:

See first rule.
lol tru dat! My wife always tells me after a month or two when the van is making funny noises or smells!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:57 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Macster, why wouldn't you buy another?

Quick Reply: If you could do it again, what 996 Turbo would you get?