Sponsored by:

What is the real difference in 996tt X50 vs 996tt s

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Kyle1058
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What is the real difference in 996tt X50 vs 996tt s

I have been looking at some 996tt, and wanted to know everyone's opinion on the difference between the turbo s and the X50. Isn't the hp about the same? Which one should bring more money with all else being equal? How much more? What are these cars worth over a similarly equipped regular tt?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to answer question...

If you are a collector, looking to maintain a garage queen with super low miles, and in perfect 'factory stock' condition, then the X50 or S will bring a premium- for the simple reason that they were SLIGHTLY rarer, and represent a higher performance model in Porsche stock trim. HOW much is subject to argument. The X50 for example was $17,880 extra. On an ultra low, 5,000 mile example maybe you add 50%. On a 40k mile driver, maybe 4-5k extra. Similar for the S, however the S is also a 'younger car' hence it has a higher intrinsic or base value.

The S was made in 2005. Compare to the X50 of 2002-2004, and you are 1-3 years younger. All things being equal, the S had brakes, and badging- and therefore more desirable. I'd add 3k per year of difference.

What is the difference between the two? Some say not much, others gush about how rare an S is and the value, etc, etc.

Once you step away from "I will only own a factory stock car and would not consider mods" then the value of an X50 or S is greatly reduced- for the simple reason that you can easily surpass X50/S level performance for relatively low $$.

So what kind of owner will you be, mods wise?

A
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Kyle1058
Track Day

Well I'm not sure. When I was into mustangs, I knew I would mod the car. Being that the 996tt already has 420 hp, I'm not sure it "needs" to be modded. I like the fact that the x50 and s model are different, but I wasn't if anyone really gave a rip about them.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle1058
I have been looking at some 996tt, and wanted to know everyone's opinion on the difference between the turbo s and the X50. Isn't the hp about the same? Which one should bring more money with all else being equal? How much more? What are these cars worth over a similarly equipped regular tt?

Thanks for the help!
I was in the same boat when looking. I wanted an x-50, but, found an excellent local stock non x 2002 with 5,700 miles on the clock. (purchased June 2011) I installed the UMW stage 2 kit, for around $4k, and am extremly happy with my purchase and set up. This is my third Porsche, and by far the best. Good luck with your search. I would put the S/X lower on my "have to have" list, than condition, location and miles.

Have fun.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:26 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well for me, I got mine because that is what I always wanted. I don't expect it ever to be a collectible. I want to enjoy it and mod it. I would have already gone for a UMW tune if it wasn't CPO'd.

Yes, 420HP is insane for a car of this size and it is plenty fast, but wouldn't 500+ be better? I'm not a collector so I didn't by a collector car. I bought one in great shape with a few miles, that I won't feel any remorse about personalizing.

For a collector this might be heresey, but then again, I'm not a collector and didn't by a collector car.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 PM
fodowsky
Intermediate

I always wanted a TTS and found one in like new condition with 17K on the clock for a good price. I will probably mod it. I can tell you the S gets quite a bit of attention. I love the car.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fodowsky
I can tell you the S gets quite a bit of attention.
Really? Over and above the attention a convertible TT would get?

As has been discussed multiple times, Porsche needed something to support sales the last year of a model, so the 2005 was offered as an "s"... they did it in prior models too- a few options are bundled to create a rare and desirable "S" model.

Ceramic brakes, X50 kit, decklid badge- what am I missing? Performance within a few HP, right? (We know a UMW or EPL flash will give you a few more peak HP, the specsmanship of the HP rating on the S is just fiddling with this...really no changes to the motors.)

I mean a turbo S with a brembo BBK, and a UMW Stage 2 and a exhaust is identical to an X50 with the same.

Having said all that- and crapped on you guys that value the S- there is a cachet about saying and owning an S, undeniably- but mostly to people that don't know the lack of real difference. Or once again they value it to keep it stock and factory- (you simply cannot take a TT and make it into an S.) On resale there will be a segment of buyers that value this- but not all.

Get the best car you can- best records, best condition. I got lucky and found an X50...if not I'd surely have done the UMW Stage 2ZCs... but still mine needed mods to unlock the potential of the X50.

And about the power being 'enough'.... Please, what...is your wife reading this????

(I kid, I kid)

A
Old 12-30-2011, 07:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In recent years, the S has become nothing more than a marketing and sales creation to reduce inventory of options that didn't sell up to minimum numbers, nothing else.

This has occurred on the Carreras and Cayennes.

As for adding 50%, I would be skeptical....maybe 10%.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just the plain old TT cab attracts more attention than I want. If it was a S I don't think I could stand the attention .

I was actually looking for a clean, mechanically sound 997 S cab without a black interior. I just stumbled on the one in my avatar and fell in love with it once I started researching the 996TT.

I actually am more jealous of the color combination of Fodowski's car than I am the S designation.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:06 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
In recent years, the S has become nothing more than a marketing and sales creation to reduce inventory of options that didn't sell up to minimum numbers, nothing else.

This has occurred on the Carreras and Cayennes.

As for adding 50%, I would be skeptical....maybe 10%.
Well, not entirely with the Cayenne S. The differences between the regular Cayenne and the "S" version are significant. The biggest being an additional 2 cylinders in the motor,
Old 12-30-2011, 02:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Well, not entirely with the Cayenne S. The differences between the regular Cayenne and the "S" version are significant. The biggest being an additional 2 cylinders in the motor,
Sorry, I should have been more specific and said Cayenne Turbo vs Cayenne Turbo S (which is just a Cayenne Turbo with the optional E51 Powerkit)

Lipstick on a P!g ...
Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the X50 (or S) model has slightly larger turbos. When combined with Kevin's (UMW) chip and his wastegate/DV kits, you can get more out of the x-50 than with a "regular" 996tt having done the same mods--for instance Kevin recommends the wastegate kit for x-50's but not so much for the non-x-50 as its not as significant upgrade in power for the non-x50. At least, thats how I understand it.
So, if you will modify the car, it is my understanding that you can amplify the power to a larger degree with the x-50 car all things being equal. I would recommend you confirm this with Kevin, but thats my understanding of it.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

i thought the x50 and turbo s (essentially x50 package plus brakes and interior upgrades) also included the GT2 gear box?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 PM
fodowsky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by adam_
Really? Over and above the attention a convertible TT would get?
A
It's really more like...

"Nice car!! And holy hell, it's a Turbo S!"

(99.9% have no clue what the S means, so I can make up anything...)

I just say, "Thank you... I kinda like it..."
Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,453 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
You have made a very astute and correct observation.

Quick Reply: What is the real difference in 996tt X50 vs 996tt s