Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did i do something crazy buying 996 turbo x50 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not crazy, but if you are asking for affirmation - you need to come to grips with your decision. Only you can answer what your breaking point may be. To mitigate...PPI, warrantee, stash of cash in case of a major problem
Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
turbo4 me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much more likely that your 996 C2 motor will break than the 996tt. Totally different bottom end in the turbo, no IMS worries.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

What I learned in a year of searching and finally a year of ownership:

You will love the car, they are awesome.

X-50 is way over rated, as are PCCB brakes. I thought I needed both at one time. Now I'm glad I have neither. If they came with the car I wanted, I would not keep from buying the car, but would not pay extra for either of them. X-50=slower spool on stock motor, PCCB = ruthless expense in the future for rotor replacement, pads are $$$ too.

The condition of the rear spoiler doesn't matter. If it works, it won't for long. If it has the fixed position mod already, this will save you grief in the future.

Check 2nd gear very carefully for the pop out issue. This is common and very expensive to fix.

Check clutch slippage in higher gears under boost, common in chipped cars = expensive fix.

Check radiators, all 3. They are prone to leakage and may need replacement in the first few years.

Enjoy
Old 04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
newton982
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 993 has different qualities that in its own way make it a great car, but it's tough to beat a Turbo Porsche on the performance front.

Like most expensive cars, repairs if they occur can be costly but you already know this with your Carrera.

I hope you the PPI checks out and you can start enjoying your car soon!

Originally Posted by errico
Thank you guys I really appreciate your time. I understand sbout the if you can't play with the big boys then don't play theory but the reason for the posting was to know if I have to be aware of any issues and if I was losing my mind to walk into a dealer and buy a car in 10 mins. I know these cars 996 well I've been driving one for 6 years now and it's really reliable but I just wanted to upgrade into the big boy territory as many would call this but a heads up on possible hits was appreciated, especially if one repair can cost more than the car. Example 996 c2 ims. trying to svoid that hit by buying a 996 turbo. Yes I can afford the repair , but I'd rather the turbo upgrade.

Thank you
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
errico
Instructor

Thank you guys

the ims issue always bothers me with my car, i have a really mint c2 but when iam out of warranty and that goes id hate to spend 20 k to repair it. As far as the x50 it seems nothing is safe anymore , the gear is now bothering me but i will do all the proper checks.

How much is that repair just to know ? what iam looking at ?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Drive the car down a decent hill in 2nd gear. Stay off the gas. If the gear pops out, walk away from the car.

If you do it half a dozen times and it's clear. You're probably good.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have any hills, take it up to 50 in 2nd, abruptly let of the gas, and coast in gear (don't push in the clutch). That will also cause it to pop out of gear if the car has the problem.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Ramp
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the gear is now bothering me but i will do all the proper checks.

How much is that repair just to know ? what iam looking at ?
Errico - dude - seriously - you haven't even bought the car and your obsessing over what hypothetically may happen instead of obsessing on how much fre . . fun you can have.

If your constantly worrying over what might happen to a car, you never truly get to enjoy it - ever.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:44 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

You are not crazy for buying it...

You may be crazy for buying a car in 10 minutes, without adequate research, perhaps trusting a Porsche dealer to do a PPI.

You CANNOT trust the selling dealer to do a PPI. Absolutely cannot. They will not check for paint and bodywork, they will nott dump the DME and look for overrevs...there is no such thing as a standard PPI.

The car has been modded- hence you cannot buy an aftermarket warranty.

Everyone here seems to be talking about this as 'should he buy the turbo or not'... I say 'buy the turbo but buy the right one and dont get screwed.'
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 AM
errico
Instructor

the inspections will be done by independant shops for sure. without the warranty the 2 end gear pop up sort of bothers me. i dont mind spending 10k if it happens but not 20k. i left a deposit on it so that i can inspect it. i am giving away a one one c2 mint i had it from the start 30 k miles for an unknown x50 etc.the aftermarket warranty is something i cannot get and the prices are too expensive and not worth looking into to.

ive been reading lots and it seems that people do have these gear issue often, how often is what i dont know. i want the car and dealer is giving me exactly what i want for my car. the theory behind if i can afford to pay the repairs dont buy the car doesnt stand with me, i can afford this, i dont feel like changing transmissions if 7of 10 people usually have to change them.

thats my only concern, not sure how relevant that gear pop up is or is it really rare but still talked about for discussion purposes, but always thank you for the advice .
Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 AM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

the inspections will be done by independant shops for sure. without the warranty the 2 end gear pop up sort of bothers me. i dont mind spending 10k if it happens but not 20k. i left a deposit on it so that i can inspect it. i am giving away a one one c2 mint i had it from the start 30 k miles for an unknown x50 etc.the aftermarket warranty is something i cannot get and the prices are too expensive and not worth looking into to.

ive been reading lots and it seems that people do have these gear issue often, how often is what i dont know. i want the car and dealer is giving me exactly what i want for my car. the theory behind if i can afford to pay the repairs dont buy the car doesnt stand with me, i can afford this, i dont feel like changing transmissions if 7of 10 people usually have to change them.

thats my only concern, not sure how relevant that gear pop up is or is it really rare but still talked about for discussion purposes, but always thank you for the advice .
If you wind up with the 2nd gear pop out issue, just have the existing transmission rebuilt by Gbox or one of Guard's dealers. You won't spend anything even remotely approaching $20k, I'd guess under $10k.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

All these Pcars are going to be expensive at some point. Having owned a 996 and 2 996 Turbos I would say that the Turbo is a far superior car with a much stronger engine. There's a guy that posts here with 300k miles on his! Reading these posts you would think that 70% of these cars will have the gear pop out issue (or ims problem for 996), but that's not the actual experience. Talk to a service manager that sees hundreds of these cars and he'll tell you that the actual rate of problems is pretty small. It's just that the people that DO have the trans problems are very vocal, while those of us that don't are pretty quiet. Get an independent ppi and then drive the hell out of it. If you are worrying about it all the time you have the wrong model car.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

If you do notice a popout issue, just do this right away, or as preventative:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...insurance.html
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Last930
Reading these posts you would think that 70% of these cars will have the gear pop out issue (or ims problem for 996), but that's not the actual experience.
I agree.

Quick Reply: Did i do something crazy buying 996 turbo x50 ?