Sponsored by:

Adjustable front lower control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,457 Posts
Default Adjustable front lower control arms?

Prices ranges? Anybody know who makes the best ones for 996TT? The best bang for the buck? Just looking to get the front camber to around -1.5 to -2 degrees.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Basic
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rss or factory gt3, prices are easy to find.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Basic
Rss or factory gt3, prices are easy to find.
Who is Rss?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Prices ranges? Anybody know who makes the best ones for 996TT? The best bang for the buck? Just looking to get the front camber to around -1.5 to -2 degrees.
Came across some Porsche techs installing some made by Tarrett. The techs had good things to say about the arms.

When (if) my Turbo ever needs any suspension hardware I think I'll go with these to pick up some extra alignment adjustabilty.

And in fact the Boxster may need some new suspension hardware at its next tire replacment (sometime in May as soon as the backordered Michelin tires come in) and I may go with Tarrett for the Boxster.

We'll see what the cost diff between factory and Tarrett is.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Basic
AutoX

Dont think tarrett makes lower control arms, they sell factory gt3 ones. You might be thinking about rear upper dog bones.
Rss is road sport supply, google them. Their lower control arms are beautiful.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 PM
DEjunkie
Rennlist Member

Would it make sense to replace the LCAs without replacing the full suspension? (sorry for the borderline thread jack)
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We carry both OEM 996 and 997 GT3 control arms.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:55 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I bought a set of the GT3 lower control arms last year for around $800 from the dealer for the set. It was a hell of a deal. The arms come with 7mm worth of shims for each side (3x 2mm and 1x 1mm I believe) which will give you roughly an extra 0.8 degrees of camber per side. You will effectively widen the track by 14mm. If you have Xenons, make sure you get the required bracket for the Xenon leveling arm as I believe that is an option. The trick with the GT3 arms is to mount them backwards from what Porsche shows in their manual (in other words put the left arm on the right side of the car and vice versa). The arms are identical except the position of the off center mounting holes. You need to have the LCA offcenter mounting hole (the one the lower diagonal arm will attach to) pointing toward the front of the car. This will assure that with 7mm of shims your caster will remain unchanged and you don't have any clearance issues. It worked perfectly on my car. If you add more than 7mm of shims you will increase caster (pulls the front wheel forward) and less than 7mm of shims will effectively reduce caster (push the front wheel back) from the static fixed LCA caster setting.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I bought a set of the GT3 lower control arms last year for around $800 from the dealer for the set. It was a hell of a deal. The arms come with 7mm worth of shims for each side (3x 2mm and 1x 1mm I believe) which will give you roughly an extra 0.8 degrees of camber per side. You will effectively widen the track by 14mm. If you have Xenons, make sure you get the required bracket for the Xenon leveling arm as I believe that is an option. The trick with the GT3 arms is to mount them backwards from what Porsche shows in their manual (in other words put the left arm on the right side of the car and vice versa). The arms are identical except the position of the off center mounting holes. You need to have the LCA offcenter mounting hole (the one the lower diagonal arm will attach to) pointing toward the front of the car. This will assure that with 7mm of shims your caster will remain unchanged and you don't have any clearance issues. It worked perfectly on my car. If you add more than 7mm of shims you will increase caster (pulls the front wheel forward) and less than 7mm of shims will effectively reduce caster (push the front wheel back) from the static fixed LCA caster setting.
Great info, thanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Basic
Dont think tarrett makes lower control arms, they sell factory gt3 ones. You might be thinking about rear upper dog bones.
Rss is road sport supply, google them. Their lower control arms are beautiful.
You're right and I'm wrong. I got Tarrett mixed up with RSS. I came across some pictured in a car mag (Excellence) and realized my mistake.

And you are right about being beautiful too. With that hardware installed too bad one can run the in open wheel mode -- sans the front fenders at least -- to show the hardware off.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

When I lowered my car, my front camber settings were forced out of factory specs. I want to keep my lowered ride height, but want the front camber settings to match factory specs as much as possible. Right now i am about -1.2 Can I adjust the camber with the stock suspension parts or do i need adjustable arms. If a need adjustable arms are they the lower or top that i need and where would be best place to get them.

For the rear suspension, I replaced the rear upper control arms with RSS to meet factory camber settings.

thanks in advance for the info...Manny.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:50 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,010 Posts

The split lower LCAs will allow you to dial in more camber over the stock units, NOT less. At -1.2 you are perfectly fine and super duper conservative anyway. No need to monkey with it. There are no upper arms in the front by the way.

Quick Reply: Adjustable front lower control arms?