What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 01:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
All of my projects are like this. I want to do it myself, wind up spending more, making a mess of the garage and swearing I won't do it again. Then repeat a few months later...
In general, I have finally gotten past doing this (I still change the oil myself.)
Old 04-04-2024, 03:02 PM
QwikKotaTX
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
Too bad we are not neighbors for I'd ask to borrow that paint gun! I have long had my tow hook receptacle with hook installed since I used to use it to affix my license plate holder which I no longer need to do.

So I went to "bumperplugs" to price out a painted replacement since I've bought many times there over the years, and and UN-painted one won't help much aesthetically. I can get an unpainted one for like 30 bucks. Eric at Bumperplugs wants $199.00 for a 92 U silver painted plug.

That's ridiculous and the kind of stuff that really gets my goat now that I am budget conscious. Tow hook stays installed. For now, anyway.
That's a bit high but I'm sure the paint quality is darn good. I believe their wiper plug has a stud and nut to hold it in place whereas mine is a plug with fingers to grab the sheetmetal. Not apples to apples but my car lives in the garage. A little silicone should keep water out when washing.

I have a metal canister sprayer and a gravity fed paint gun as well but not well versed in using them. My officemate has a paint guy as a Father and got me some urethane reducer for a 6 pack which also saved some money.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:05 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
That's a bit high but I'm sure the paint quality is darn good. I believe their wiper plug has a stud and nut to hold it in place whereas mine is a plug with fingers to grab the sheetmetal. Not apples to apples but my car lives in the garage. A little silicone should keep water out when washing.

I have a metal canister sprayer and a gravity fed paint gun as well but not well versed in using them. My officemate has a paint guy as a Father and got me some urethane reducer for a 6 pack which also saved some money.
They may have changed the design, but when I got mine from them (been close to 10 years ago) it was a snap in plug like yours, no hardware.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:17 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 234 Posts

LOVE the LR! I had a 69 Defender ( I think that's what they called it then ) and loved it and at anything under 65 mph! the short one but with the same blue/white fascia. Those things restored now are bringing huge $$! Don't even want to think about what the new ones sell for!

Classic vehicles, those mid 60's Land Rovers.
The older Rovers were called "Series" Series 1 were very simple, then Series IIA which this one is. Later on they moved the headlights out to the fenders which personally never liked the look of. Plans are full strip/redo running gear and repaint/re-do interior. Parts are actually pretty reasonable for them but you can quickly get in the weeds if you are dealing with a broken frame ect. I bought this off my old mentors family estate after his passing as I know how much he loved it and no one in the family has the capital to get it back up and running.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:42 PM
QwikKotaTX
Pro

Originally Posted by T10Chris
They may have changed the design, but when I got mine from them (been close to 10 years ago) it was a snap in plug like yours, no hardware.
$130 is a bit steep for that then. I thought it had a rubber gasket and stud/nut.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:51 PM
Lazurus
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree it's a "bit high"! It's 30 bucks for the plug fro Pelican and then $170.00 for some Porsche colored paint the size of a quarter dollop! A guy's gotta earn a living I get that but..whatever.

I like the wiper "delete" look on the Turbo but I prefer having the rear wiper for when it rains it is truly functional. I have a car I bought used that the PO had also removed the rear wiper for purely cosmetic reasons and I hate not being able to see out the rearview when it rains!
Old 04-04-2024, 04:54 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

$130 is a bit steep for that then. I thought it had a rubber gasket and stud/nut.
Nah, same thing with no gasket. They tell you to seal it with silicone.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:56 PM
Lazurus
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
The older Rovers were called "Series" Series 1 were very simple, then Series IIA which this one is. Later on they moved the headlights out to the fenders which personally never liked the look of. Plans are full strip/redo running gear and repaint/re-do interior. Parts are actually pretty reasonable for them but you can quickly get in the weeds if you are dealing with a broken frame ect. I bought this off my old mentors family estate after his passing as I know how much he loved it and no one in the family has the capital to get it back up and running.
It's funny as I was typing after seeing your pic I was trying to remember and I don't think they were called "Defenders"? back then! Just Land Rover's is all I remember. I know they are the "Defender" now though as I recently was looking at some vintage refurb's and the new ones are closer to the "original" than say the "new" Ford Bronco is in keeping a vintage "look" as compared to the old models.

Good luck with the Resto! It's beyond my ability to even ponder such a project!
Old 04-04-2024, 06:06 PM
QwikKotaTX
Pro

I agree it's a "bit high"! It's 30 bucks for the plug fro Pelican and then $170.00 for some Porsche colored paint the size of a quarter dollop! A guy's gotta earn a living I get that but..whatever.

I like the wiper "delete" look on the Turbo but I prefer having the rear wiper for when it rains it is truly functional. I have a car I bought used that the PO had also removed the rear wiper for purely cosmetic reasons and I hate not being able to see out the rearview when it rains!
I had no idea Pelican sold a plug. I bought a 1" plug from Lowes for $4.

The angle of the window makes for good wind wiping. I have only driven mine a few times in the rain and did not see an issue. RainX may have helped.

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Nah, same thing with no gasket. They tell you to seal it with silicone.
I may have been looking at another product. I found a dead mouse when I removed my wiper motor, hah.

Last edited by QwikKotaTX; 04-04-2024 at 06:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 10:16 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

Painted a hole plug from Lowes for wiper delete. Spent at least $60 on a replacement airbrush since my old one was missing parts and other supplies trying to save some coin compared to Bumperplugs.com The plug I used was not very large but fit well. The scuff marks from the OEM wiper bushing are still visible but not that bad. Should have just bought the pre-painted plug.

i did the same thing with the plastic Lowe's plug... since my car is black, it was an easier blend but i ended up just wrapping it... didn't have to put silicone or rubber seal but the car doesn't see much rain...
Old 04-05-2024, 10:50 AM
QwikKotaTX
Pro

Originally Posted by kamlung
i did the same thing with the plastic Lowe's plug... since my car is black, it was an easier blend but i ended up just wrapping it... didn't have to put silicone or rubber seal but the car doesn't see much rain...
I bought the black plug as well but the surface finish was a bit rough for painting. Quicker to use the metal plug and the fingers held it tighter to the body panel. The one I 3D printed looked like crap.

Beautiful weather here. Going for a drive shortly. Thunderstorms will roll in prior to the eclipse unfortunately.
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 10:58 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 507 Posts

I bought the black plug as well but the surface finish was a bit rough for painting. Quicker to use the metal plug and the fingers held it tighter to the body panel. The one I 3D printed looked like crap.

Beautiful weather here. Going for a drive shortly. Thunderstorms will roll in prior to the eclipse unfortunately.
You gotta use body filler.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:00 AM
QwikKotaTX
Pro

Originally Posted by s65e90
You gotta use body filler.
I did, just didn't come out as well as I preferred.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:03 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

from your pic though, the color looks pretty decent... i'll snap a pic of mine today...
Old 04-05-2024, 03:09 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,859 Likes on 2,939 Posts

For you East Coast Folks; a little spendy, but could be fun...

Smoky 600 Rally — Experiences by Road & Track (roadandtrack.com)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?