Sponsored by:

input needed on price point. .

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default input needed on price point. .

Looking at a low mile (45k) 2001 manual tt. Not overly optioned with full leather, heated seats, emblems on crest. Two owner car with records from 30k wh3n second owner picked it up. No accidents. I have been informed that the spoiler hyrdrolics needs fixing and needs new tires. I will get a ppi but if those were the only things needed what would be a good number? Btw.. I will be selling my nicely low miled (40k) 03 c2 for this car so im hoping im making a wise decision. I have driven it and I do like the feel of the awd and turbo but trying to convince the wife a two year downgrade in cars is actually an upgrade.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:34 PM
928drvr86.5
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be an easy sell to your wife based on aesthetics of the Turbo alone.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 PM
tomofva
Rennlist Member

Range 37 to 44 for a 2001 with 45K, depending on color and location.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 PM
928drvr86.5
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

....and what about the IMS bearing failures associated with the 996 NA cars, The GT1 engine in the turbo is reputed to be more reliable.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 269 Posts

Tires and spoiler - depending on remedy - could be $4k+ alone. What's the ask?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 AM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a PPI done (not at a dealership), paint meter, and get an over rev log too.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by PcarDrmr
Looking at a low mile (45k) 2001 manual tt. Not overly optioned with full leather, heated seats, emblems on crest. Two owner car with records from 30k wh3n second owner picked it up. No accidents. I have been informed that the spoiler hyrdrolics needs fixing and needs new tires. I will get a ppi but if those were the only things needed what would be a good number? Btw.. I will be selling my nicely low miled (40k) 03 c2 for this car so im hoping im making a wise decision. I have driven it and I do like the feel of the awd and turbo but trying to convince the wife a two year downgrade in cars is actually an upgrade.
Can't help you with price.

The spoiler if you go with a factory replacement fix runs over $2K. Get an estimate from the dealer service department.

Whether you go this way or another way is up to you.

Get estimate for tires. N-rated.

If the current set of tires shows uneven wear from side to side or across the tread faces an alignment is going to be needed. This can run $100 (service manager's discount price/special) to $200 or more depending upon where you have it done.

Be sure you give the car a thorough check out. This involves a test ride (15 miles) followed by a test drive (15 miles over the same route).

You want to spend time with the car in its natural environment: With the engine running and the car on the road.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You don't need N rated tires, there are other makes out these that will do very well on the tt. With N rated tires . You gain nothing on the street and as a daily driver. If you are going to drive at sustained high speeds such as autbahn speeds and track the car once in awhile then go with N rated.

Convince your wife, let her test drive it!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 PM
gillie
Instructor

37-38k sounds about right if everything else goes well. Once you convince yourself the wife should fall in line.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
You don't need N rated tires, there are other makes out these that will do very well on the tt. With N rated tires . You gain nothing on the street and as a daily driver. If you are going to drive at sustained high speeds such as autbahn speeds and track the car once in awhile then go with N rated.

Yeah, lots of crashes with those 'non- N rated tires'

The N rating has nothing to do with safety nor high speed performance. Speed ratings are unchanged.

I mean Porsche doesnt rate track/race tires, do they?

The N rating is a BS rating that Porsche and tire retailers blather about to sell more expensive tires to uptight owners....

Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Dont think the N rating is BS just not noticeable on a daily driver and at street legal limits. Take them to a track to squeeze out a little better time, then you may want to pay the premium!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd

Didn't say he had to put n-rated tires on just get an estimate. My thinking was he could use this to lower his offer price.

But I do find it amazing that those that state categorically that n-rated tires are not necessary based on no more science than having fitted a set or two of non n-rated tires to their car and not having come to grief, well amazing. To advise owners in direct opposition to Porsche and its recommendations regarding such a critical component borders on, borders on.. well it is amazing.

Simply amazing.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Macster- no its amazing how so many people are so gullable as to applying their mindset to criteria of driving limits that they will never reach! If you did your research you would know how the N rating is used for testing and applied to tire development. I am sure you don't drive at autbahn sppeds continuously!
Thats what is simply amazing, the lack of logic!
Let me know how many Porsche street accidents were the cause on non rated "N" tires. How many insurance claims were denied because they did not have "N" rated tires?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

I've tried to stay away from this thread but it's getting ridiculous!
Forget about N,M,J,Z etc rated tires,it's about quality tires... For example Michelin Pilot Sport 2 is an N rated tire. If you tell me of a better performing,quiet and comfortable tire than Michelin PS2 for our particular cars I'll agree,but there simply isn't!
No offense,but if you're skimping on tires on a Porsche 911 Turbo,a car capable of achieving such levels of performance,then you are definitely driving the wrong car!
When getting all excited for seeing these cars sell so cheap in today's market,think twice before buying because it will cost you afterwards!
So it's not about N rated tires,it's about quality tires!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

neanicu - guess you haven't seen much test on tires lately, i will tell you from experience, that the Hankook Ventus V12 may not have the top performance as PSS 2 but they are quieter, better riding yet come very close to Michelin PSS2 performance for a lot less . Having used both the Michelin Pss2 and the Hankook. for the street there is no difference in performance! Yet the Ventus offer much more comfort and ride a heck of a lot better than michelin Pss2.

Read this!

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

So there you have it!

Quick Reply: input needed on price point. .