Sponsored by:

is Porsche Dealer required to charge AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:54 PM
smithk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is Porsche Dealer required to charge AC

I think my AC is in need of a charge. Both front fans are blowing, the rear compressor is turning but air coming out is warm.

Should any reasonably competent shop be able to recharge the system with coolant and check for leaks or does this require specialized Porsche test equipment?

Thanks for the insights.

Keith
Old 06-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I had the engine out of my car and I recharged my system myself with cans of r134a and a gauge from Walmart. It blows cold as ice now. So if I can do it I would think any repair shop could.

I would caution you though that your system might have a leak somewhere. They usually don't lose that much r134a that it would run warm like that just from normal use. How many miles on your TT and how much do you use your AC? Also do you keep your heat/AC system on auto all the time?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:57 PM
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

As Carlo says, anyone can top off an r134 system. A decent shop will have an automatic machine that will evacuate, do a vacuum holding test of some sort, then refill the system by weight. I would also add a UV dye to the system, in case your leak is bigger than you think, they will be able to pinpoint the source. A dealer can do this also, just at $145/hour.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 AM
gillie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your local Porsche dealer will charge, or I should say overcharge, for anything!

Quick Reply: is Porsche Dealer required to charge AC