Sponsored by:

Deciding between Stage 2 and 2a

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Deciding between Stage 2 and 2a

I've been laundering money into my mod fund, and am thinking of upgrading my turbos as a next step. For those playing the board game at home, here's what I'm sporting:

2003 6MT with 40k miles
stock k16's with UMW tune
PSS9's
GT3 shifter
GT3 rear sway/tarett drop links*
997 trans mount / RS engine mounts*
newish stock clutch (7500 miles)

*(denotes items I'll install this weekend)

My goals are for a fun street car. I don't see myself doing more than one DE a year due to time and other obligations. I also don't want to get into internal modifications. I want reliable, linear power that I can add to, but not go nuts with.

I'm struggling with whether to buy UMW's stage 2 or 2a. I don't see me wanting a lwfw and race clutch, a new exhaust right away, or dropping a ton of cash on further mods. I don't drag race, but I do enjoy taking the long way home, so to speak. My concern stems from the idea that the 2a's are a better technology and would probably have a longer life in the mod world.

Anybody gone through a similar over analysis in their upgrades? At the moment, I'm truly leaning toward just the 2s, but don't want to be short sighted.

thanks,
Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i guess i'm gonna guess what what exactly 2 vs 2a means. but i assume it involves the 16/24's. i have those on my car that has been tracked and daily driven for many years. the 16/24's on this car ( i have been told ) are essentially the same as the one umw offers. there's not a lot of different ways to mess with them lol...

now i don't know what 2 vs 2a means. but i can tell you without equivocation, there isn't a better street/dd/occasional track day setup around. it's all simple bolt on stuff. you just get larger i'/c's, new tune + a 5bar and since you like umw, there ya go..instant full on without sacrificing ANY daily drive-ability, or more importantly reliability, from stock. a respectable 550 crank will result. re clutch, you can stay stock at that power level, no prob, but maybe a sachs 2.5. once needed and you'll be good.

pls tell me you've already switched out exhaust....
Old 06-27-2013, 03:29 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^+1 on exhaust
Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 AM
puma
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i would do the exhaust before the turbos otherwise that would be pretty pointless to add bigger turbos and choke them at the exit.

i beleive the 2a has a better intake wheel than the regular k16/24, i beleive it uses the 997 compressor, not sure though. One thing is for sure, i beleive it is 3k$ more for the 2a.

I have the k16/24 with kevin's tune and i am extremely satisfied, would i do it and pay 3k more to get 20-30hp more? No i wouldn't, at that price i'd prefer to get more than that, you either do it or you don't. I think the K16/24 still is a very good turbo for the price.

there are also other vendors selling hybrids for less money that are probably just as good if not better but once you go with Kevin, it's hard to justify to go with someone else. I would be tempted to try 911tuning though as everyone seems to be satisfied like everyone is satisfied with Kevin's service.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by puma
yeah i would do the exhaust before the turbos otherwise that would be pretty pointless to add bigger turbos and choke them at the exit.

i beleive the 2a has a better intake wheel than the regular k16/24, i beleive it uses the 997 compressor, not sure though. One thing is for sure, i beleive it is 3k$ more for the 2a.

I have the k16/24 with kevin's tune and i am extremely satisfied, would i do it and pay 3k more to get 20-30hp more? No i wouldn't, at that price i'd prefer to get more than that, you either do it or you don't. I think the K16/24 still is a very good turbo for the price.

there are also other vendors selling hybrids for less money that are probably just as good if not better but once you go with Kevin, it's hard to justify to go with someone else. I would be tempted to try 911tuning though as everyone seems to be satisfied like everyone is satisfied with Kevin's service.
I've talked to Kevin at length about stock exhaust vs aftermarket, and have a plan to compensate for that for now. I don't like a loud exhaust at all, and I think even slightly detuned turbos are a bigger bang for the buck hp wise than the 3-5k you'd have to spend in an exhaust for 20 hp.

As for the 2s vs the 2a's, you're right about the 20-30 more potential hp out of the chute, but they are much more upgradeable down the road.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you go to Stage 2 or 2A - you may need to redo your tune.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:00 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
If you go to Stage 2 or 2A - you may need to redo your tune.
Absolutely...in the works.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if and when you do get around to considering an exhaust, consider the Europipe 2Q
I cannot have a loud exhaust and went with the EPQ2, throatier, deeper, but not sig louder
keep an eye on the used section here. they turn up occasionally
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

So I have the UMW tune. I am just going to upgrade my DVs and accutor and will get a great exhaust to make me good. Kevin can turn you n to the plan. That is all u need IMO.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:30 AM
earl3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're interested, I have a set of UMW 2A turbos coming off my car soon as I'm returning it to stock-ish. They are just broken in with ~400 miles on them. They have the UMW wastegates, billet back plates with zero clearance housings and the new(er) 997 GT2 2280 extended tip compressor wheels. LOVE these turbos and would part with them for a good price if you sent working stock turbos.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:00 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by earl3
If you're interested, I have a set of UMW 2A turbos coming off my car soon as I'm returning it to stock-ish. They are just broken in with ~400 miles on them. They have the UMW wastegates, billet back plates with zero clearance housings and the new(er) 997 GT2 2280 extended tip compressor wheels. LOVE these turbos and would part with them for a good price if you sent working stock turbos.
As much as I love a good deal, I need Kevin's support for tuning and support, which I don't get going used. Sure is a shame you're pulling them off though. Why you going back?
Old 06-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
My goals are for a fun street car.
Different strokes for different folks, but a huge part of "fun street car" for me is a great exhaust note. I think the otherwise stock Turbo is way fun on public streets, as long as there is great sound.

I'd rank my mods in the following order of importance...

1. Exhaust
2. B&M shifter
3. X73
4. Tune
Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Different strokes for different folks, but a huge part of "fun street car" for me is a great exhaust note. I think the otherwise stock Turbo is way fun on public streets, as long as there is great sound.

I'd rank my mods in the following order of importance...

1. Exhaust
2. B&M shifter
3. X73
4. Tune
Nobody is wrong in any list like this, but here's where I'd go:

1) Suspension
2) Shifter
3) Tune
4) Exhaust

I think the 996 Turbos are a little boat-y without a suspension upgrade, and now that I have the shifter, I regret not doing it sooner. I've ruined cars I've owned doing exhausts to them that I later hated, which is I guess why it makes me nervous.

I'd think in Atlanta, it wouldn't be hard to find a couple Porsches with different exhausts on them you could hear before you buy. Cincinnati is much more midwestern, so Camaros, Corvettes, and Mustangs dominate the scene, and it's hard to get a good cross-section of what the different tones can be.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Nobody is wrong in any list like this...
I agree.

My personal reasons behind my priority list: For street driving I think the stock Turbo is more than adequate in terms of handling/steering feel and usable power. Not that I didn't want a bit better from both, but these fell behind more pressing needs. The two major defects I saw in the car were the shifter and the lack of exhaust/engine noise. Both of these made the car way too isolated and refined for my tastes.

I'd think in Atlanta, it wouldn't be hard to find a couple Porsches with different exhausts on them you could hear before you buy. Cincinnati is much more midwestern, so Camaros, Corvettes, and Mustangs dominate the scene, and it's hard to get a good cross-section of what the different tones can be.
I actually never heard any of the exhaust options in person before buying my EP 2 Loud.

If you get near Atlanta you are always welcome to drive my Turbo and check out its exhaust..

Last edited by Dock; 06-28-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:37 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been laundering money into my mod fund, and am thinking of upgrading my turbos as a next step. For those playing the board game at home, here's what I'm sporting:,
This made me LOL....

Quick Reply: Deciding between Stage 2 and 2a