Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory alarm goes off for no reason...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:55 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Factory alarm goes off for no reason...

A couple of times, my alarm has gone off for no reason. This morning, my wife called and said the car was in the garage, locked and the alarm was just going off. She unlocked the doors via the remote and it hasn't gone off since. This has happened a few times now, it's annoying and embarrassing.

What's wrong?

Michael
Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 336 Posts

Hey Michael,
Not sure an exact cause, but is there anything in the car(or near the windshield) that could possibly move around(or is reflective) while the car is sitting there? Likely a computer scan is needed otherwise....If nothing else, for now disconnect the alarm horn so it doesn't upset anyone..
Cheers,
Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Do you have a faulty microswitch in the side window/door lock assembly? You know when you lift the door opener the one that causes the window to drop down enough to open the door.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you hear any beeps when you lock the car with the remote?
If so, then 1 beep means a zone is still open.
Two beeps means there is an alarm fault - that will need to be diagnosed and repaired.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

What Loren said. I can add that a flying insect in the car can trigger the alarm. Had this problem with my Boxster and it turned out to be a small moth in the car. It would come out after I had shut the car off and locked it/alarmed it and the alarm would sound.

Finally the thing came out one time I was in the car and I smashed it flat against the glass without any delay.

Since then when I park the Boxster (or the Turbo) I do with with the top up, windows up, even the sun roof closed.

A few times before I got into this habit and leave the windows down an inch or so or the sun roof open I'd get in the car and there'd be a flying insect in the car. I'd lower all the windows and shoo it out of the car but I was afraid one would set up housekeeping and cause alarm grief again so I decided to button the car up tighter than Fort Know whenever the car is parked.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Mike,

Do you have a cat or mice possibly? They can trigger the alarm as well...good luck.

Tytus
Old 10-16-2013, 01:26 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Originally Posted by Tytus
Hey Mike,

Do you have a cat or mice possibly? They can trigger the alarm as well...good luck.

Tytus
Negative but the window DOES go down when you open the door. No open zones. Low charge on battery possible?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:37 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

While your window may go down. It could be on it's way out.
Low batteries can cause electronic glitches and warnings. Get your self a battery maintainer and plug it in. If it is because of a weak battery it shouldn't go off when to battery has charged and it is left plugged in.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:16 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Originally Posted by jumper5836
While your window may go down. It could be on it's way out.
Low batteries can cause electronic glitches and warnings. Get your self a battery maintainer and plug it in. If it is because of a weak battery it shouldn't go off when to battery has charged and it is left plugged in.
I have the Porsche one, it goes into the cig. lighter and into the wall. I just had the car serviced, they said the battery tested ok. Gotta see if it still goes off while the car is still hooked up to the tender.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:35 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by The NSX dude
I have the Porsche one, it goes into the cig. lighter and into the wall. I just had the car serviced, they said the battery tested ok. Gotta see if it still goes off while the car is still hooked up to the tender.
There are more then 1 micro-switch in the door. Also I found this as well. If you have access to a durametric it may give your the code as to what is failing.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ch#entry218584
Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 PM
sbefar01
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same exact issue and I think this post may have solved it Finally I see someone posted on this I have been trying to figure why my alarm typically goes off when it is hot out. I took the car to a reputable foreign shop and there were no codes thrown, they showed me right on the laptop. I was told the door trigger sensor was also reading fine. So my theory is that the EZPASS holder/ winshield (suction cups) falls off the winshield when it gets a little hot out. This movement is likely setting off my alarm! Either that or a combo of an insect or both

Quick Reply: Factory alarm goes off for no reason...