Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a 02 996tt x50 needing engine work worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Jake, point us to the higher IWIS chain grades.. The highest grade that I know that is available without a enhanced treatment is the Motorsports chains.. One can order the latest Porsche factory offering with a 997GT3 or 997GT2RS..

Nizzki, please note that you will need to replace all your cam sprockets and vario cam modules with new. This will require you to split the engine case. Leaving a worn sprocket and fitting with the BEST timing chain will quickly wear to the common denominator.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:50 PM
nizzki
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They checked the sprockets (that you can see on the table), apparently they looked great. I think they said the variocam thingie had some crap in it, so they're replacing that.
Not sure about the other ones, i assume that without a master link, they have to take more of the engine apart to be able to put a new chain in anyway.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would recommend replacing "all" the sprockets on the failed bank at a minimum.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nizzki -
I can't add much to this thread - just sitting here with a sour belly and my fingers crossed. But I can tell you when you put a new chain on a bicycle it will make a racket. The chain rings (sprockets) are worn just enough for you to hear them interfering. Now scale this up from a 39-year-old-bozo-on-a-bike to 450hp German toy (with 83,000 miles).

Please replace your sprockets and keep us informed as you rebuild.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM
nizzki
Intermediate

Yea, since they're already in there i guess they might as well swap the sprockets out. They're already sitting around on a shelf.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 PM
nizzki
Intermediate

A couple more pictures from the shop. Lots of pretty shavings from the plastic guides.
Attached Images   
Old 02-25-2014, 12:17 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In your first picture, the chain has worn the aluminum case web. You will have aluminum shavings also. You need to have the shop look for cracking between the aluminum web. When the chain breaks it can pouch the case outward. This happens when the chain is wound up around the IMS. It is very hard to see.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:37 AM
Os Inspector
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
In your first picture, the chain has worn the aluminum case web. You will have aluminum shavings also. You need to have the shop look for cracking between the aluminum web. When the chain breaks it can pouch the case outward. This happens when the chain is wound up around the IMS. It is very hard to see.
A flouresecent PT or Liquid Penetrant Test should reveal any cracking.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:41 AM
nizzki
Intermediate

I'll ask them about that tomorrow, i was going to swing by anyway to see the engine completely disassembled.
Luckily i wasn't going very fast so there wasn't as much kinetic energy in the chain, but still.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 PM
nizzki
Intermediate

Got an estimate, it's quite a bit higher than they originally said.
So far they've only e-mailed it to me, i didn't have time to go see them today, i'll talk to them tomorrow.
A big chunk of the increase in cost is because they're replacing a bunch of parts that might as well be done with the engine open, such as the bearings, rings, etc. There are also a couple expensive things that needed replacing, i.e. the cam actuator, lifters and chain tensioners.
They also messed up on the rod bearings, i think they got 6 sets of bearings rather than 6 bearings, so that will drop the price a bit. Oh, and this also doesn't include the machine shop work, so yea, not cheap.

Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images    
Old 02-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Looks pretty complete to me.. They will need 6 sets of rod bearings, they are sold per journal.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 PM
nizzki
Intermediate

Right, but when i looked around a full set of 12 halves was about 150 bucks, not the 1200 they had listed.
Either way, i also found the activator new in box on ebay for 699, might not be a bad idea. Those lifters are fairly expensive as well.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

Best of luck - looks like their hourly labor rate isn't too bad. I'm completely intimidated by all of this.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:39 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Best of luck, I feel for you.

Quick Question for Jake and Kevin, do you feel as though this is something that can be avoided for other Metzger engine owners or is this a 1 and a million type of scenario?

I dont remember hearing many timing chains breaking and causing this type of damage.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You shop has quoted you OEM aftermarket rings.. They will find out that you can't use them because our engine have a pinned 2nd ring. That means that you will be forced to go to the dealer.. Cost will go up (you can call Sonnen Porsche 866 Sonnen1)..

Also, I didn't see a oil pump. When they pull apart your oil pump they might see too much plastic or metal being run thru the scavenge side (please note, I have 4 or 5 near new pumps>have the shop call me)..

2) I would recommend that you replace the other bank vario cam actuator..

3) It's a great time to pin or weld all of your coolant fittings (all eight). It would ruin your day if one failed and you had to pull the engine out to get one replaced..

Quick Reply: What is a 02 996tt x50 needing engine work worth?