Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undo the GT2 Clutch Slave Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:35 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

So I'll ask a stupid question...How do you know you don't have a shot accumulator on a stock set-up? (vs. the GT2 conversion)
Old 04-10-2014, 02:19 PM
928drvr86.5
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I found the stock slave will change engagement heights when it is starting to go bad. Which is common on the power assisted clutches in the 996tt. Check the master clutch cylinder under the front hood. if it shows any wetness around it and the plastic top cover, the slave is on its way out. If that is the case replace both the slave and accumulator. When all is okay, the engagement and disengagement is pretty consistent.
To go back to the stock 996tt clutch system, you are looking at quit a bit of expense.
The stuck up rear wing is probably due to the last owner not fixing the hydraulic system and installing a permanent wing up mode. The hydraulic system for the rear wing complete is around $1700 through internet sales of parts at Gaudin Porsche, and you will need the spoiler removal tool. The installation of the assembly is pretty straight forward. It comes with both rams, pump lines wiring harness and switches. Fully primed and ready to go.

Maybe you can use the MSRP on the unit to leverage a better deal.

MSRP Core Online Price
$2,308.27 $0.00 $1,687.92
I agree with your statement of the symptoms / behavoir of a failed slave cyl. But, those behavoirs are also present to some extent even with a new slave cylinder (in my case from Suncoast). It was a ****ty design in my opinion, with the intent to allow chicken-legged people to drive the car. I say buy a tiptronic if thats the case. Some days i wish i went the tiptronic route myself, not because i can't drive a stick, but because the 996tt is the worst clutch feel i have seen. There is a reason the Gt2 mod exists, it is well-documented.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Funny my new slave and accumulator are consistant! No variations at all!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:54 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
So I'll ask a stupid question...How do you know you don't have a shot accumulator on a stock set-up? (vs. the GT2 conversion)
Exactly my question as well. Maybe my "new" car just has a dead accumulator. The "upgrade" list does not mention the GT2 slave modification.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:13 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
Exactly my question as well. Maybe my "new" car just has a dead accumulator. The "upgrade" list does not mention the GT2 slave modification.
Then I would bet it's a bad accumulator...
Old 04-11-2014, 01:35 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Then I would bet it's a bad accumulator...
Good! That is easy enough to deal with. I'll take a look under and see what is working the clutch release lever once the car is in my hands.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:44 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

BTW, you ought to be able to see if the GT2 slave is installed....vs. stock and look to see if the hydraulic lines from the power steering pump do NOT go to the slave...GT2 hydraulics do not use Pentosin.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Bad accumulator will not prevent a hard pedal when the car is running. If the car is running and the pedal feels easier then I would suspect the accumulator. The accumulator is there to assist pedal depressions when the pwr steering pump is not assisting the slave cylinder, as when first starting the car. If the car is running and the pedal is hard to push then it should be investigated if the GT2 mod was done.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 PM
robertgalka
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad accumulator will not prevent a hard pedal when the car is running. If the car is running and the pedal feels easier then I would suspect the accumulator. The accumulator is there to assist pedal depressions when the pwr steering pump is not assisting the slave cylinder, as when first starting the car. If the car is running and the pedal is hard to push then it should be investigated if the GT2 mod was done.
My accumulator was bad when I bought my car and the clutch was still hard to press when the car was running. If you pressed it in really slow it was easy. With the new accumulator it's easy all the time.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:41 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Default Bad accumulator

I picked up this car last night got it on the lift today. It's a bad accumulator. I do not have the GT2 modification of the slave cylinder.

So I'll be ordering a new accumulator and some fluid.

As another data point, my wife drove the car initially and didn't complain. But I know on a long trip she would be very unhappy.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

I would also replace the slave at the same time. they also will go bad.

robertgalka - I suspect you had a bad slave also!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 PM
robertgalka
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still am running the original slave and the clutch engagement is a little inconsistent. I don't think it's bad enough for me to change it. I thought they were all like that anyway? If I don't sell the car, I will probably do the GT2 slave conversion before I change out the stock one.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:47 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

I would also replace the slave at the same time. they also will go bad.

I'm going to start with the accumulator. In the mean time, I'll try and drive a car equipped with the GT2 mod. If the Slave goes, and the GT2 mod is no worse than what I am experiencing now, I'll do the mod.

You see, my wife loves the car so much she has not complained about the clutch effort yet. But it is coming...
Old 04-14-2014, 05:59 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 269 Posts

Slave cylinder (996-116-237-52) is probably toast in addition to the accumulator. The slave is, of course, the more expensive part. But, the time spent replacing just the accumulator is wasted b/c in all likelihood replacing just the accumulator will not solve the problem. It may be your own time, but time wasted nonetheless.

(Take a read over on 6speed before your venture down the GT2 mod rabbit hole.)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

my accumulator has been bad for awhile. I have no fluid leak up front and haven't fixed it yet as i like the feel without it working. Its been on my list to do and already have the bomb for when i get around to putting it on the lift to change it.

Quick Reply: Undo the GT2 Clutch Slave Mod