Sponsored by:

DIY: Shock remote canister installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:05 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Default DIY: Shock remote canister installation

I recently installed a set of JRZ Pros with remote canisters and quick disconnects. I took some picture of the installation in case someone tackled this in the future. The rears are pretty straight forward as I routed the hoses through the existing ABS grommet near the shock towers. It's very easy to enlarge the grommets with a razor blade. I then attached the canisters to the roll bar behind the front seat. The fronts take a little time as you have to make sure the hoses do not bind anywhere during the full steering angle. I ended up doing the front a little differently as most people route the canister to the battery area and attach them to the cross braces. I could not mount them there as my car has an additional RUF strut tower brace in that same area. Plus, I did not want to have the canisters exposed to the elements and decided to mount them in the trunk area where they are easily accessible for compression adjustment (rebound is adjusted at the top of the shock). I ended up drilling a hole in the forward part of both wheel wells (don't forget to install grommets to seal the holes and prevent chaffing the hoses) and routed the hose through there and around the ABS pump on the drivers side. The passenger side is largely open although some cars have an auxiliary Bose amp there. I then zip tied the canisters to the trunk liner tucked neatly away in corners of the forward portion of the trunk. For further protection of the hoses, I bought about 10' of 7/16" ID fuel line and cut it open lengthwise with a razor. I then slipped the fuel line over the canister hoses and secured with zip ties. Worked like a champ. With this installation, it is very easy to adjust compression of the rear shocks by simply reaching behind the front seats, and the fronts by simply opening the trunk.

The JRZ Pros with remote canisters are an amazing set up. The first time I drove the car I giggled like an idiot. When the compression is set up soft (I have it 2 clicks (out of 12) from full soft on the street), the car rides better than any suspension set up I have ever had which says a lot considering everything on the car is monoball including solid subframe bushings. Even my friend that owns a 997TT with stock PASM was impressed when he rode with me and commented how much better and less harsh the suspension was than his stock PASM. Truly comfortable enough to be a daily driver. Once you tighten up the compression at the track however, the car becomes Cup car stiff or anywhere in between. I am really looking forward to getting it dialed in at the track in the coming weeks. I just wish I had not waited so long to get this set up installed...

Old 04-14-2014, 03:14 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your doing some good work on that car

Quick Reply: DIY: Shock remote canister installation