Jumping In: New to Me 2002 TT "Apollo"

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:16 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Jumping In: New to Me 2002 TT "Apollo"

Greetings All,

Last Friday I became the proud owner of an Artic Silver over Black 2002 996 TT with 16,800 miles. Mostly stock (compared to my past Porsches) this is a long time "Dream Car" for me. I'm sure that resonates with some of you.

Many have come before this Porsche in my 25 years in the hobby, even a Twin Turbo (955) and four 951 single turbos (2 '86, 88S and '86 PCA Stock Class Racecar). And many 911s (75, 73, 87, 91, 96). Even the odd mid engine Porsche ( '71 914, '06 987 Cayman S). My last Porsche recently sold from This Listing. I've been a HPDE instructor for 23 years, did PCA racing when it first started and also raced enduros karts and SCCA FC.

I like modifying the cars, driving on the track and just driving around in German cars. I started with a 69 Beetle and the rest is history

The 2002 I purchased was from a dealer, which is a fairly rare purchase for me when it comes to Porsches. I tend to buy higher mileage, mostly stock examples and then spend far too much time and money making them "better." In this case, I bought a low mileage, lightly modified car. The plan was to buy a high mileage, highly modified car, but I just could not bring myself to spend a significant sum on a car with over 60K miles. Yes, I'm aware of the legendary durability of the engine in this car, but I still wanted something with less miles. Almost got a Tiptronic, but in the end I have a 6 speed.

In my search I met several excellent p-car enthusiasts and I appreciate all the help they gave me in learning more about the cars.

Exterior Color: L92U –Artic Silver Metallic
Interior Code: AH – Black Leather
Option Codes:
C02 – USA Car
139 – Heat Seating - Left
340 – Heat Seating - Right
513 – Lumbar Support – Right Seat
586 – Lumbar Support – Left Seat
692 – Remote CD Changer (6 Disk)
939 – Seat Cover Rear – Draped Leather
982 – Soft Leather Look or Draped Leather Seat Covers
XJ4 – Leather Ignition Lock Rosette
XNR – Carbon Fiber Center Air Venting
XNX – Trim Strip in Carbon Fiber
XPY – Carbon Fiber Instrument Surround
09991 – Manufacture From the Exclusive Program

The car has the following modifications that I'm aware of:

Seats: Porsche OE 996TT/GT3 Sport Seats with Artic Silver Painted Seat Backs

I would not mind getting a set of OEM non-sport seats. I like Lumbar Support and Heat!

Steering Wheel: FVD (340mm with Airbag)

This is growing on me, with an Ecliptic shift light (ordered today) it might be a keeper.

Carbon Fiber Interior: All Porsche OEM – Speedo, Shifter, Ebrake, Horseshoe, through the dash, Door Sills, Door Pulls, Map Doors

Love! Although those door pocket covers are hard on the elbows...

Console: -OEM GT3 Console Delete, Artic Silver Painted Center Console

Love the delete, my knee likes the free air. Rather have a CF center console.

Interior Electronics: Alpine Ipod Controller, Hardwired for Valentine V1

On the fence with this one, it doesn't have the HD, SAT Radio or Bluetooth modules installed. Alpine loves Ala Carte. Might be better to replace with a single DIN unit that has it all. Suggestions?

Shifter: Porsche 997 OEM Short Shifter With Carbon Fiber

Love

Pedals: Renn Line Pedals including Dead Pedal

Might change to the adjustable gas pedal - will evaluate after the first track event

Engine: FVD Level 1 Kit (490HP, 542 Ft/Lbs), Evo Diverter Valves , Stock Exhaust, FS "Cup Car" Intake

LOVE! Already bought the carbide bits to do the OEM Exhaust mod. The FS will go on eBay and be replaced with a stock air box. Anyone got a spare one?

Brakes: Porsche GT3 Front Brake Calipers (6 Piston, Reds), GT3 350mm Front

I think these have Pagid Yellows now and are noisy for street use. Some stock pads probably are in order.

Suspension: KW V3’s (Coilovers)

Adjustable swaybars may be needed here.

Wheels: Porsche OEM GT2 Wheels (8.5” Fronts, 12.5” Rears, 18”s)

Bought a set of stockers from a list member also for track use. The ones on the car are really nice.

Exterior: 3M Protective Film Front Bumper, Ruf Hood Crest & Center Caps, OEM Clear Corner Markers, OEM Aluminum Gas Cap, Rear Wiper Delete

RUF badging will go on eBay. Dealer is providing a new hood crest. I guess center caps are on the shopping list. I like to have a rear wiper but lets see if RainX and high speed is enough

Here are a few shots of the exterior, interior and undercarriage:

Photo Album

Car is not perfect, the rear wing is inoperative and the clutch accumulator is going. Knew that before purchase and helped to knock the price down. Both will be fixed in the next week. Also found the passenger window is too close to the side window, I'll adjust that (found a procedure on renntech).

Looking forward to hours of time wasting enjoyment!

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by cbracerx; 04-14-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Grammar and intake
Old 04-14-2014, 10:33 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Congrats, 996 GT2 wheels are the ultimate for the 996TT IMO, so I think you are very lucky to have those.

Rear wing hydrolics, clutch accumulator and slave cylinder are all interconnected via Pentosin fluid, so it may be best to get all those done at same time. I had all those go at once in my 997TT.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:47 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Obligatory Pic Post

Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 AM
mig.
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome, congrats Chris - that seems well bought!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

congrats on getting the car! if you plan on selling the seats, let me know. btw, pretty sure it's a 12" wheel... and good call on dumping the badging but sounds like a great car, all told.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Lookin' good Chris. Enjoy the ride.

(too bad all the RUF badging didn't come with a RUF "550" package)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks great, one suggestion get rid of that air intake filter box. Much discussion has been made to were as they provide no benefit, and if the filter is of an oiled nature will have adverse effects on your MAF sensor. The stock one is more than adequate for these cars. Good luck and congrats, enjoy!
Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T

Not too many wanted to spend those bucks. Glad a PO did, and it wandered into my hands.

To the OP, if you do want to dump the Ruf badging/wheel caps/whatever, I can put them on my shelf. Except for a wheel cap--lost one at Chuckwalla a couple of weeks ago. (Yeah, yeah, should have popped them off.)

And finally, welcome! After three months and nearly 5K miles, I'm finding mine a nice commuter. Not so much on the track, though. But I didn't buy it for that.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:17 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Looks great, one suggestion get rid of that air intake filter box. Much discussion has been made to were as they provide no benefit, and if the filter is of an oiled nature will have adverse effects on your MAF sensor. The stock one is more than adequate for these cars. Good luck and congrats, enjoy!
Thanks. As noted, I want a stock airbox ASAP. Anyone have one to let go?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:19 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Nope, this is all I have right now:

Old 04-15-2014, 06:22 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CT944
Congrats, 996 GT2 wheels are the ultimate for the 996TT IMO, so I think you are very lucky to have those.

Rear wing hydrolics, clutch accumulator and slave cylinder are all interconnected via Pentosin fluid, so it may be best to get all those done at same time. I had all those go at once in my 997TT.
Thanks - I'm going to keep the GT2 wheels for street use. They have 315's at the moment.

Rear wing will be fixed soon, and accumulator is on the way from Suncoast. Not going to replace slave unless absolutely needed. It only has 17K miles on it. And yes, 12 years
Old 04-15-2014, 09:21 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I have a RUF 550 package for sale. RUF K24/26 Turbos, RUF 550 RTurbo ECU, RUF/BMG performance air filter and a RUF performance clutch which includes a Sachs Motorsport pressure plate, Sachs GT2 clutch disc, and a DM flywheel. Included is the paperwork and receipts from RUF. Might go well with the badging.... The only thing not included is the RUF intake manifold and exhaust.

Congrats on the car btw. The gentleman that owned it before you was very meticulous. You have a fine example. I got your PM and will try to get you his contact info.

Last edited by powdrhound; 04-15-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I have a RUF 550 package for sale. RUF K24/26 Turbos, RUF 550 RTurbo ECU, RUF/BMG performance air filter and a RUF performance clutch which includes a Sachs Motorsport pressure plate, Sachs GT2 clutch disc, and a DM flywheel. Included is the paperwork and receipts from RUF. Might go well with the badging.... The only thing not included is the RUF intake manifold and exhaust.

Congrats on the car btw. The gentleman that owned it before you was very meticulous. You have a fine example. I got your PM and will try to get you his contact info.
Thanks, I'm really enjoying it so far. Of course, it could be "more better" with the parts you mentioned...

So how do you get to "ABS Only" and deactivate PSM?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
Thanks, I'm really enjoying it so far. Of course, it could be "more better" with the parts you mentioned...

So how do you get to "ABS Only" and deactivate PSM?
You can simply unplug the PSM pump. 2 minute job and fully reversible.

You can also get a 997GT3 brake fluid reservoir, remove the pump altogether, and make a brake line that runs directly from the rear port of the brake master cylinder to the ABS unit. When you do that, you might as well install the 997GT3 Master cylinder as it is a 27mm unit v. 25.4mm on the Turbo. Result is a harder pedal.

PM sent with prior owner's info..
Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
You can simply unplug the PSM pump. 2 minute job and fully reversible.

You can also get a 997GT3 brake fluid reservoir, remove the pump altogether, and make a brake line that runs directly from the rear port of the brake master cylinder to the ABS unit. When you do that, you might as well install the 997GT3 Master cylinder as it is a 27mm unit v. 25.4mm on the Turbo. Result is a harder pedal.

PM sent with prior owner's info..
Terrific, that is very helpful. I'll try that defeat when I go to the track in a few weeks.

Just need to buy track tires now. I was using NT01 on the 987S, not sure of the best choice for a long lasting track tire on this vehicle. I'm not going for short life ultimate grip, I'd like a decent grip tire that lasts.

Quick Reply: Jumping In: New to Me 2002 TT "Apollo"