Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushing/ball joints usable life?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:13 AM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bushing/ball joints usable life?

What is it like on these cars?

Ive had some old bmw's which are notoriously hard on that stuff. Any car Ive bought thats older than 8 yrs always needs a full refresh to be up to snuff. It doesnt mean everything is necessarily trashed. But most of it is tired and you may as well do it once.

How are 996tts? I know the wheel bearings can be an issue(well at least it was. not sure if the updated part is better or not). What about ball joints and bushings?
Given the age of the cars now ...even low mileage cars I would assume the bushings are likely in need of replacement. Ask sellers if they have done something like that and everyone gives me a blank stare.

Or am I way off base? Just trying to get an idea.
Old rubber and plastic is old rubber and plastic, regardless of mileage.
Buying a car today Id be compelled to do an entire suspension refresh if it hasnt already been done.

Do most people just replace when something starts clunking? Or do some of you prescribe to preventative maintenance?

Thanks

Last edited by breakfast; 04-24-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:37 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Hey Jon,
Think most are replacing on a as-needed basis or upgrading for track-use advantages.
100% rubber and plastic ages and these cars aren't new, as we know; Porsche's seem to be comparatively very easy on suspension compared to BMW's in my experience.
I'm a huge P.M. guy, my next refresh/upgrade project is suspension(will be tailored for track, but same principles apply), control/toe/thrust arm bushings(monoball'ing), sway bar bushings and links, dampers, mounts, etc.
Don't forget engine and trans. bushings too!
Regards,
Rob

Quick Reply: Bushing/ball joints usable life?