Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you DD your 996t?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:27 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cayenne and 996 50%/50%, no winters to worry about.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:41 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

My car is a DD, except on snow days, which fortunately is not too often here in Orlando. :-)
Old 12-19-2014, 05:21 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

Daily driver for the last five years (not a commuter car), and still love it.

It's reliable, with no problems beyond the normal stuff, and it puts a big smile on your face everyday.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Surfer161
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drive it daily. i drive it at tack events. watkins glen this week. i will drive it everywhere, all the time until the end of time

surfer161
Old 05-10-2019, 09:20 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,873 Likes on 2,949 Posts

DD spring through fall - I want to get to 600,000 miles like T2.

Everyone needs goals.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:15 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

It makes a fantastic DD
Old 05-11-2019, 08:13 AM
PatBEL
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DD for the last 5 years. (living in Belgium) I do all the maintenance myself.
Parts wise i try to avoid the Porsche tax by buying OEM as much as i can.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:20 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Next month marks 3 years and 24K miles as my DD. The only item outside of normal maintenance has been the dreaded blown coolant fitting. Looking back it's been one of the best car decisions I've made.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:43 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

Nope. I'd drive it more if I had covered parking at work.

Can't risk it outside with the sudden hail storms we have here
Old 05-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

I have never daily driven my 996 Turbo. I didn't buy it for that purpose.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:05 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Do you DD your 996t?
The Turbo makes a great DD, but many of us don't DD them to try and protect their cosmetic condition...

But honestly buying a $50K Turbo and letting it take some dents/dings/wear from daily driving is no different than buying a new Audi for $50K and having the same wear and tear, but the Turbo will have less depreciation.

If anyone happens to do their own work to the cars, cost for parts seperately would be great. Im not a mechanic by trade, but easily could be given past experiences. (ie, Ive rebuilt engines and been racing for the last 14yrs as a hobby) So I would likely be doing any needed work myself.
If you do work yourself, OEM parts are readily available at a huge discount over Porsche sourced parts, and even the parts that are Porsche only can be sourced at 20-40% less than your local dealer might charge.

Example: The starter on my car was starting to bind, occasionally not fully actuating the bendix/solenoid to engage the starter motor to to the flywheel. Not often, but happened enough that I wanted to address it:

Approximate cost to take it to a dealer and say "fix it". $1,400. ~$900 for a Bosch starter in a Porsche box, another ~$500 in labor, shop fees, etc.

DIY: $250 for a new OEM Bosch starter through Amazon, about two hours to change it myself. In fact the original starter was fine, and just needed the shaft cleaned as it was gummed up and worked perfectly once cleaned, so I still have the new starter as a spare:

So for an unexpected starter repair, $1,400 or $0 depending on your ability to fix things yourself. ZERO chance the dealer would have looked at the starter diagnosed it as needing nothing more than cleaning and lubrication, and put it back in.

Same with brake pads...

Take your Turbo to the dealer when you need new brakes and say "fix it", you are looking at a pretty huge repair bill., probably pushing $3K.

But oem rotors and oem pads purchased through a reseller like www.fcpeuro.com or www.rmeuropean.com and you can get all four corners, new rotors, new pads, sensors, fluid, etc. for less than $800 and install them all in an afternoon. Or even less if your rotors are o.k. and you just need to swap in new pads.

Easy car to work on IMHO.

But not all peaches and cream...
Some items that can be expensive are a clutch replacement and coolant line fittings. Both are pretty hard to DIY,. Clutch parts are still expensive even when purchased at typical discounts. Clutch slave is also a PITA item that fails frequently and has expensive parts to replace, unless you bite the bullet and do a GT3 style clutch hydraulics conversion. Radiators are also known to develop leaks and are a bit pricey, Suspension refresh can be expensive from both parts and labor.

No matter how carefully you pick your car, and how thorough of a PPI you have, you are likely going to find things in your first year or two of ownership that you will want to address, so just plan on it.

Last edited by pfbz; 05-12-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:54 PM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default good advice.

Great advice. Now need to find a decent miles 996TT to work on it too.

Hit me up if you know any leads.

Originally Posted by pfbz
The Turbo makes a great DD, but many of us don't DD them to try and protect their cosmetic condition...

But honestly buying a $50K Turbo and letting it take some dents/dings/wear from daily driving is no different than buying a new Audi for $50K and having the same wear and tear, but the Turbo will have less depreciation.

If you do work yourself, OEM parts are readily available at a huge discount over Porsche sourced parts, and even the parts that are Porsche only can be sourced at 20-40% less than your local dealer might charge.

Example: The starter on my car was starting to bind, occasionally not fully actuating the bendix/solenoid to engage the starter motor to to the flywheel. Not often, but happened enough that I wanted to address it:

Approximate cost to take it to a dealer and say "fix it". $1,400. ~$900 for a Bosch starter in a Porsche box, another ~$500 in labor, shop fees, etc.

DIY: $250 for a new OEM Bosch starter through Amazon, about two hours to change it myself. In fact the original starter was fine, and just needed the shaft cleaned as it was gummed up and worked perfectly once cleaned, so I still have the new starter as a spare:

So for an unexpected starter repair, $1,400 or $0 depending on your ability to fix things yourself. ZERO chance the dealer would have looked at the starter diagnosed it as needing nothing more than cleaning and lubrication, and put it back in.

Same with brake pads...

Take your Turbo to the dealer when you need new brakes and say "fix it", you are looking at a pretty huge repair bill., probably pushing $3K.

But oem rotors and oem pads purchased through a reseller like www.fcpeuro.com or www.rmeuropean.com and you can get all four corners, new rotors, new pads, sensors, fluid, etc. for less than $800 and install them all in an afternoon. Or even less if your rotors are o.k. and you just need to swap in new pads.

Easy car to work on IMHO.

But not all peaches and cream...
Some items that can be expensive are a clutch replacement and coolant line fittings. Both are pretty hard to DIY,. Clutch parts are still expensive even when purchased at typical discounts. Clutch slave is also a PITA item that fails frequently and has expensive parts to replace, unless you bite the bullet and do a GT3 style clutch hydraulics conversion. Radiators are also known to develop leaks and are a bit pricey, Suspension refresh can be expensive from both parts and labor.

No matter how carefully you pick your car, and how thorough of a PPI you have, you are likely going to find things in your first year or two of ownership that you will want to address, so just plan on it.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:03 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Radmd74
Great advice. Now need to find a decent miles 996TT to work on it too.

Hit me up if you know any leads.
I can't count how many people I know that are looking for a nice, clean 996 Turbo! My overall advice is to not overly prioritize mileage... eg. Take a higher mile Turbo in immaculate condition that is fully sorted rather than searching for a low mile car that may or may not be sorted. Color flexibility helps as well.

The one thing I personally am not flexible on is 1) Coupe, and 2) 6-speed, not Tip, But many folks here speak highly of the tiptronic and if you happened to want say a tiptronic cabriolet, your search would be much easier!
Old 05-13-2019, 06:35 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

I try to drive mine as much as I can
****ty parking at work ****ty people in general where I live. So drives are limited to whenever I wanna drive it and come home or parking in where I can see it.
I try not to drive too much in the rain as there's lots of s roads and roundabouts. Nothing like people driving 70 in the left lane when everyone else is going 90 plus or taking a 45mph turn at 60 when its been raining for 5 minutes.

Also I hate hate hate getting into a blistering hot car and burning my thumb on my shifter

Question for everyone, would you teach a loved one how to drive stick in your tt?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:41 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by pancing
Question for everyone, would you teach a loved one how to drive stick in your tt?
Not would, but did.

I taught my son how to drive a stick from scratch in my tuned 996 Turbo with LWFW.

Quick Reply: Do you DD your 996t?