Sponsored by:

Next years man cave/garage Christmas gift

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 06:06 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ReidN
I just started gutting the inside of my 2000sf garage. Currently running all new electrics and removing half of the second floor to get a lift installed. After that a nice HVAC system and all done!!
I put a Mitsubishi unit in my garage - have heat in the winter, AC in the summer, and amazingly efficient
Also put in a Mohawk lift - one of only a couple that will fit in a 10' ceiling space and made in America. If willing to send more money to China, many more choices and cheaper.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a great thread to start as I am getting ready to build a garage addition on to the house. Mine will be 1 & 1/2 car and am planning to do a lift. We will be using scissor trusses to get even more ceiling height. Fly2low -- What model is the mohawk and have you had good luck with it thus far? Im looking to do a 4 post so I can stack some toys :-).
Old 01-15-2015, 02:40 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Mine is a System 1. Incredibly solid, but I would get the short arm option if ordering today.
The A7 would work great if you were only doing cars, but I am about to start a restoration of an old pickup
Old 01-15-2015, 11:01 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 251 Posts

In my last detached garage I had a Rotary two post two arm lift which was excellent for Porsche work but did have the cable and hydraulic lines passing between the posts. It was a "rescue" from a shop that had upgraded, so the cost was low. This design did need substantial ceiling height to work, as the pistons moved up from the posts. I cut holes in the ceiling...

Had to downsize to a Mohawk scissors lift when moving to an small attached garage. It has proven to be very useful and I have done engine R&R on the 987 platform without issue. 911 is easy of course

One advantage of the scissor is no posts. So opening car doors and moving around the garage is easy. But I much prefer the bigger two post design overall. A friend has the four post version and it is excellent for storage - much harder to do quick mechanical work with the wheels off.

Last edited by cbracerx; 01-15-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-15-2015, 07:03 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What type of unit for HVAC? As in how many tons? Is it one of those wall mounts. The problem is the main floor of my garage is 2000' square feet and the second floor is 900 I am going to take a chunk of the second floor out that will give me 18' ceiling where I want to put the lift. I really don't want a four post. I do have a Range Rover HSE that needs to able to ride on the lift also. Finally a little warmer here 35. So gonna try and tear some more out Saturday. Have to leave for rehearsals and a few shows. Then back at at it February first for a week. I really want to get this thing done sooner than later.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:28 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/

http://www.ductless-air-conditioners...ditioners.html

My garage is 30 x 30 x 10, fairly well insulated, but without the temp swings you see in Chicago, so whatever I have doesn't translate to your needs. Besides, mine is a three head unit - garage, upstairs space, pump house. Find a local "Black Diamond" level installer (get's you 7 yr warranty, otherwise 5 yrs), and have him help size it.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:00 AM
ReidN
Pro

Originally Posted by fly2low
http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/ http://www.ductless-air-conditioners...ditioners.html My garage is 30 x 30 x 10, fairly well insulated, but without the temp swings you see in Chicago, so whatever I have doesn't translate to your needs. Besides, mine is a three head unit - garage, upstairs space, pump house. Find a local "Black Diamond" level installer (get's you 7 yr warranty, otherwise 5 yrs), and have him help size it.
cool thanks! I will look into it.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

My garage is a disgrace

but I got a new Fender Strat for Christmas !
Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 AM
ReidN
Pro

Originally Posted by Tuxiemama
My garage is a disgrace but I got a new Fender Strat for Christmas !
Sweet!
Old 01-21-2015, 01:49 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

My garage is pink
Old 01-21-2015, 03:35 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My garage is block inside-stone out and have thought about painting interior white for more light etc but hate the thought of keeping it up/clean.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Just turned in the plans for my new garage to the HOA this weekend. Hopefully they like it. Man Cave is progressing further!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:48 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, that is a spectacular improvement in your garage. I'd love to do the floor of my garage, but I just don't think I'm willing to commit the time and effort it would take. Bravo to you for getting it done!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:33 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
Wow, that is a spectacular improvement in your garage. I'd love to do the floor of my garage, but I just don't think I'm willing to commit the time and effort it would take. Bravo to you for getting it done!
There is no doubt it was the single biggest job in my mini renovation. If you don't have oil stains from 12 years of serious car work to remove or cracks to fill you could save a fair amount of time. There are professionals who do this as a service, and for a bigger floor that is probably the best bet. Tell your significant other that a floor coating makes a great Xmas gift

Quick Reply: Next years man cave/garage Christmas gift