Sponsored by:

Cops....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cops....

Getting on off ramp wasn't speeding, noticed a cop 10+ car lengths in front no worries. Getting closer to off ramp he pulls over into shoulder I pass him and he lights me up. I know I wasn't speeding so I'm like wtf. Cop walks up says I was speeding. I didn't argue and the guy gave me a warning. If he was going to write me a ticket I would have called bs, the guy wasn't even using a radar. He didn't notice my lack of front plate. Could he have given me a ticket based on his assumption that I was speeding?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

The officer may not have paced you, but in Georgia officers can pace from in front of cars just like they can pace from behind cars. Additionally, some radar units can measure your speed behind the patrol car when you are both moving in the same direction.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Wealth Manager
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't get a ticket, why are you complaining? lol
Old 04-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Getting on off ramp wasn't speeding, noticed a cop 10+ car lengths in front no worries. Getting closer to off ramp he pulls over into shoulder I pass him and he lights me up. I know I wasn't speeding so I'm like wtf. Cop walks up says I was speeding. I didn't argue and the guy gave me a warning. If he was going to write me a ticket I would have called bs, the guy wasn't even using a radar. He didn't notice my lack of front plate. Could he have given me a ticket based on his assumption that I was speeding?
The short answer is yes, he can write you up based on the assumption you were speeding. He can write you up because he doesn't like your looks.

In the eyes of the court, his "testimony" wins out.

If you get a ticket like this, or really any ticket even if radar or laser is involved, just find a good law firm -- that deals with DUI's and other less serious traffic tickets -- in the area where the ticket will be adjudicated and turn the traffic citation over the law office.

I do this every ticket I get. So far, all have been dismissed.

Just keep in mind these cars stand out and if there is any imagined or real reason to pull you over you'll get pulled over.

(I came upon a metering light at a freeway on ramp the other day. A CHP cruiser was parked on shoulder of the on ramp just on the other side the light. I know why it was parked there. The car ahead of mine went when the light changed green and I pulled up and didn't even get stopped when the light switched from red to green again. I recognized it was a short cycle -- I see these once in a while -- and I thought about just waiting, but it was green so I went. OF course, I got pulled over and the officer accused me of running the metering red light. I told him it was a short cycle and I went on green. Obviously he had not been watching the light, just going by the "rhythm" of the cars pulling away and my car upset the rhythm. He said something about the tie going to the runner, but I didn't quite get the reference in this context, but be he said he was not going to cite me. That I got. A few minutes later on the radio listening to the traffic reports I heard the metering lights had been sped up and I believe I just happened to be at the metering light when they were sped up and that explains the short cycle.)
Old 04-27-2015, 04:18 AM
RdRunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also maybe invest in one of these???

Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2015, 05:33 PM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know where you are from, but in NY this is how it is (probably the same everywhere):
Police officers are trained in "independent visual speed estimation" of a motor vehicle. They take a course and have to be within +/- 5 MPH to pass the course and write tickets (most are accurate between 3 mph after a few hrs of field practice). An officer can not testify in court that the laser said that you were doing X miles/hr. The officer does testify that based on a visual speed estimation, you were doing X miles/hr, then the laser said x miles/hr which corroborates his/her independent estimation. It is totally legal for him/her to write the ticket based solely on visual estimation only, but of course it's weaker in court that way. They can also do a pace on you using their "certified" speedometer. Yes it's certified....every few months, the motor carrier safety unit places the car on a dynamometer type of machine to check the speedometer, then files an official certification with the traffic court so they have it on file.
Another "catch all" that an officer can use is if there are several violations that, when added together, show that you are a danger to other motorists, is reckless driving! That's a bad one because you get charged with a misdemeanor instead of a simple violation. They can also impound the car if they choose.
Forgetting all the legal garbage, the best way to get out of tickets:
- Leave attitude at home
- Be polite and respectful (the way you want to be treated)
- don't lie or think the officer is stupid
- Apologize and let them know that it was a mistake on your part
If you do all of the above, chances are that if you don't get off completely, you will at least get a reduced fine or citation.
I know there are going to be attorneys on this board that jump in and say "don't admit to anything!". While I may not agree fully with that, I do understand their stance (don't forget that you may be recorded and it will come out in court if you do in fact get the ticket and admit to what you did). However, you can usually apply all my tips while not directly admitting to anything. For instance you can say something along the lines of "since you said I was speeding, I'm not going to argue with you, I'm sorry if I was. If I was, I didn't realize it at the time.........."
Most of all, being nice and being genuine goes a loooooong way!

Quick Reply: Cops....