Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun while it lasted...rear ended, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Baumer1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun while it lasted...rear ended, now what?

Well, I was stopped at a red light this afternoon in my four-month old to me 2002 996tt when I felt the collision from behind. My guess is that the guy had to be going 35+ mph when he hit me. No sound of tire squeal, and I doubt he even tried to slow down.

My neck is sore from smacking into the back of the head rest and I've got a headache. Hopefully those go away. The turbo, has more permanent injuries. A 911 turbo was my dream car since I was 13, and after 28 years, I finally got it. After less than four months, this happens. I felt like crying and still might.

The rear end (and my spirits) are crushed. I can't open the engine bay to assess the damage to the motor- I can definitely see that the airbox is crushed. The engine runs and I was able to drive the car the 1/2 mile back to my house. I can't see any fluids dripping at the moment.

The other driver is insured by American Family and assumed responsibility with the police (although he said his foot slipped off the brake and he hit me- yeah right).

What next? I'm wondering if the car will be totaled out by his insurance company. Its unclear what damage may have occurred to the engine- definitely rear deck lid, rear bumper cover, bumper, rear right quarter panel all are damaged- both tail lights, and the air box from what I can see under the deck lid... and who knows what else.

Any idea what a diminution in value claim would be for something like this? The car was immaculate before the accident- I'd spent a couple grand getting all maintenance current, and it was running perfectly. I'd planned on keeping this car long term after spending almost 9 months looking for it.

On the bright side, the physical injuries to me (hopefully) could be worse. Just need to vent....

Old 05-11-2015, 10:17 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow what a shame. I'm sorry this happened. I bet it will be nicely repaired though since you drove it home. Certainly not catastrophic. Rear bumper and deck lid no big deal. Rear fenders...bigger deal. My C4S was rear ended before I bought it, looked fine to me, sold it for more than other similar cars were going for. May not affect the sale price much.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:41 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 337 Posts

Sorry to see that! Very similar situation happened to me a couple months ago in my beater bmw...lots of stupid people out there...
Unfortunately the other car completely missed the bumper beam/structure on your car, the quarter panel damage is the worst part IMO, the rest shouldn't be too bad, make sure to get diminished value compensation
Old 05-11-2015, 10:51 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that's sux. Hope you get well soon. As far as the car goes, good luck, that's rear fender will be tough.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Bummer about the car.

Glad no one was hurt.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:26 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Terrible thing to happen but happy you weren't hurt badly. Hang in there it will work out.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:44 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry for you're accident, glad you are ok. Have a few(s) beers and watch some videos on YouTube of people slipping or falling
then start here

http://kielichlawfirm.com/what-is-diminished-value/
http://kielichlawfirm.com/how-to-eva...d-value-claim/
http://kielichlawfirm.com/how-to-sub...d-value-claim/
Old 05-12-2015, 12:47 AM
Blswan
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely make sure you get a fair loss of value payment. Repaired, this car will be worth 20 percent less than no accident history.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:53 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

doesn't look too bad. diminished value is usually about 10-25 % of value of car this one looks like 10%. if repair is over 70% value of car they will write it off.
hope you feel better. although we love em it is just a car and can be replaced.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:37 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

A few things that you folks are missing..

If this car is a tiptronic I would NOT get it fixed..

This car sustained a good hit.. The rear energy absorber on the left side has collapsed. The energy transferred into the frame rail. I have seen hits like this Totalled due to the possible geartrain damage "IF" it was a tippy. Not so with a manual.. I would be looking at a slight buckle above the rear quarter glass. If one is present on the drivers side, I would try to push this car on the other insurance company.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:37 AM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The quarter panel may likely be repaired by paintless dent repair, it doesn't look too bad. I would be worried about any possible motor damage. Good luck. On the bright side, at least you'll get new wing hydraulics.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:47 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

CK986, you are joking correct??? The inner quarter panel on the passenger side is shoved forward causing the rear quarter buckle>the width of the rear tail light. There is zero gap between the decklid and upper valence.

To the OP, sorry for the damage, but you need to get your NECK checked out!! Many young folks have had these whiplash rear enders to later find out that they had a fracture!! And I am speaking from experience!
Old 05-12-2015, 02:35 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bumper guards...curious to know if they protected you from serious engine damage.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:53 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Got to agree with Kevin.

That's a bad hit.

You need to hope the other insurance company declares the car a total loss.

Be insistent the car be repaired by a Porsche Certified Collision Center.

Remember Porsche does not believe these cars can be properly repaired with salvage or aftermarket parts.

Parts must be bought from PCNA and through an authorized dealer.

All mechanical work must be done by a Porsche tech at an authorized Porsche dealer.

My guess is after the estimate comes in the car will be declared a total loss and that's to your advantage.

Be ready to when the discussion about how much money to allow you for the car you can show in what good shape the car was in, how well it was taken care of, not only by you but the previous owner. You sought out and bought a good car and the other driver's insurance company needs to make you whole again.

Do not turn this over to your insurance company. You have a lot more leverage with the other driver's insurance than you do with your own.

If the car is declared a total loss, avoid the temptation to retain the car with a salvage title and part out the car for supposedly big bucks. Do you want your house/garage/yard turned into a one car junk yard and have people come by to pick over the bones of the car? Do you want to risk someone injuring himself helping himself to some part of the car? Sitting fire to the car and the garage if the car's inside?

And get yourself checked out. You really should have gone to the emergency room.

It is natural that if one is mobile and not bleeding to believe there is no real injury, but emergency room doctors see lots of accident victims and know what can happen.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:44 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with Kevin about getting the neck checked out
Sorry about the car - but they are replaceable
Nice bike in the background

Quick Reply: Fun while it lasted...rear ended, now what?