LED interior lights and horn chirp when setting alarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 PM
jimstav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED interior lights and horn chirp when setting alarm

Hi all,

I have looked and looked in the forums but can't find what I'm looking for. I recently replaced all of my interior lights with the ECS Tuning kit. They look great, but now my horn chirps when setting the alarm. I looked into things and found that the engine compartment bulb had been removed prior to my buying the car. When I replaced the bulb, it remained on when closing the lid. Must be why it had been removed. I also checked the front trunk light and found that it doesn't shut off when closing that lid either. From reading up, I see that this is generally caused by a faulty microswitch either in the engine compartment latch or the trunk latch, however the horn wasn't chirping in the 2 years before I changed out the bulbs. Could the chirp be somehow caused by the lower overall draw of the LEDs, or is it coincidence that it happened now? Thanks for any help.

jimstav
Old 02-01-2016, 08:42 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Any chance you left the center console open a bit? That will cause the chirp when setting the alarm too.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:48 PM
jimstav
Intermediate

Thanks, I did check the console lid and the glove box. They were closed.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:51 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I think you're on the right track - the light staying on with covers closed would indicate whatever switch controls the light is indicating that the cover is still open which would cause an alarm fault.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:49 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My horn chirps when I lock my car. I thought this was normal.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:57 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

My horn does not chirp, but I would like it too. Is there setting for this somewhere?
Old 02-02-2016, 12:47 AM
ALLUC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our cars do NOT beep to confirm the alarm is set. Just the parking lights flash.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-unlock-2.html

I lock the car while standing at the rear and watch for the tail lights to flash, you can also hear it lock
Old 02-02-2016, 08:48 AM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLUC
Our cars do NOT beep to confirm the alarm is set. Just the parking lights flash.
It does if you press the remote twice in rapid succession when arming. That disables the infrared sensors inside the car.

It also chirps when there is a fault in the system, although if memory serves it's two quick chirps.

OP... If the LED kit did not come with load resistors I'd bet money that's exactly what it is. The resistance load to that circuit would be drastically reduced with LED's all the way around which could, to the computer, look like an open circuit.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLUC

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-unlock-2.html

I lock the car while standing at the rear and watch for the tail lights to flash, you can also hear it lock
My lights flash, and I get a single honk when I hit the fob.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:40 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

2001's will chirp if you have replaced your radio unit with an after market unit. While it doesn't on 2002.

I think my trunk and rear lid lights also stay on until the car is locked or left awhile, same as the instrument cluster remains working for awhile.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,457 Posts

The fault is with led bulbs.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:48 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you have a standard bulb in the engine bay light prior to installing the LEDs?
I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me, but if the alarm system uses the completed bulb circuit to tell when the engine (or trunk) lid is open, then a faulty latch causing the light to remain on, would set a fault in the alarm system that wouldn't be present if the bulb were removed.
We have over a hundred of these kits in 996s without a problem. If it turns out to be a faulty resistor in one of the LEDs, we'll certainly send you a replacement.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:06 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
2001's will chirp if you have replaced your radio unit with an after market unit. While it doesn't on 2002.
2001 with a double din radio and no chirp. Alarm works as designed.

OP, I'd replace the LED's with the stock bulbs, including the frunk and engine bay. Then find the faulty switch and get everything operating properly. Afterward install the LED's and see how it goes. Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:06 PM
jimstav
Intermediate

Thanks for your replies. Prior to install of the LEDs I had all of the regular bulbs installed except for (unknown to me) the engine compartment bulb which had been removed. There was no chirping of the alarm when locking. I chose the ECS kit because of the lack of issues, so I trust it, but I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities. Right now, it seems that the possibilities are 1. a faulty LED which is causing the issue based upon a low draw showing an open circuit or 2. A coincidentally faulty microswitch in the trunk or the engine compartment which wasn't there before the LEDs. Any other possibilities? If not, Sanyata, that's my plan. Go back to square one when there was no chirp, then replace the LEDs one by one and test the alarm until it chirps again.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:19 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd pull the LED bulb out of the engine bay and see if it works correctly with no bulb installed. If so, you likely have a faulty engine latch microswitch.

Quick Reply: LED interior lights and horn chirp when setting alarm