Sponsored by:

Smoke on start up after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:08 AM
996TTFTW
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke on start up after oil change

So I know smoke on start up has been covered many many times on these cars but this is slightly different.

I took my car for an oil change/air filter/etc a couple days ago and unfortunately my Mechanic didn't drain all of the oil properly or he added significantly too much. Of course the car started billowing smoke as a result. I only drove the car maybe 2 km's (At first I thought maybe some oil had spilled on the headers or another area and was burning off) before draining the oil and filling it myself.

Anyway, so the car seems to be running fine and I now instead of making my own clouds as I drive I only get a nice puff of smoke on start up after the car has been sitting for a while. There is no smoke after the first 4 or 5 seconds of the car running and the car seems to need to sit for at least an hour to puff again.

My question is how long should I expect it to smoke? The oil level is correct so I assume its some sort of residual oil that's burning now. Is there anything I should do other than wait for it to stop smoking?

Before the oil change I would only get smoke on start up rarely.. Maybe once per week max. and it would be much less smoke than I get now.

All input is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:33 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can pull your intake hoses and y-pipe, to see if there's any oil and clean any sitting in there. Throttle body and plenum too.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never seen a single 911 turbo that didn't smoke a little on startup and it's absolutely random when they do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fishey:
occb2 (06-04-2020), Robocop305 (02-09-2022)
Old 06-08-2016, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

No experience with my Turbo in this regard but my Boxster's first AOS failure had the engine thoroughly flooded with oil.

I had the plugs changed. The SM said it could take a considerable amount of engine run time before all the residual oil was removed from the intake system. The oil in the exhaust gets burned up rather quickly.

I was away at the time so I had him drive the car and he put about 50 miles on it and when I picked up the car it no longer smoked.

More recently when the 3rd AOS failed and while the engine didn't get subjected to nearly as much oil as before in the final minute or two of running before I shut the engine off the engine was smoking to beat the band.

After picking up the car there was a bit of smoke upon engine start -- not the first start either as the engine was started at least once after the AOS was replaced to move the car from the service bay to the lot.

I think the engine smoked a tiny bit when I took off from the stop light after leaving the dealer's parking lot but it didn't smoke any more after that.

In the case of your Turbo, as long as the engine is running ok and is only smoking at start up and briefly I think all you need do is drive the car. The oil will work its way out.

What it takes is the engine should get fully up to temperature and the engine then shut off and allowed to heat soak some. Ideally before the engine cools down too much the engine should be started again and run some more so any oil that has collected as the engine sat and heat soaked will be drawn into the engine and burned.

Last but not least you need to find another place to have your car *properly* serviced.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:53 AM
996TTFTW
AutoX

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The car started this morning with no smoke at all. Seems all is clear now.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My car smokes 3-4 seconds on cold start if it's been sitting a few days. Normal, and I like the smell.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (02-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2016, 02:53 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Common in 930s, but also in 996 turbos if you overfill the oil. If it's just by a little let it burn off. If a lot, drain some out at the drain plug.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:09 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
No experience with my Turbo in this regard but my Boxster's first AOS failure had the engine thoroughly flooded with oil.

I had the plugs changed. The SM said it could take a considerable amount of engine run time before all the residual oil was removed from the intake system. The oil in the exhaust gets burned up rather quickly.

I was away at the time so I had him drive the car and he put about 50 miles on it and when I picked up the car it no longer smoked.

More recently when the 3rd AOS failed and while the engine didn't get subjected to nearly as much oil as before in the final minute or two of running before I shut the engine off the engine was smoking to beat the band.

After picking up the car there was a bit of smoke upon engine start -- not the first start either as the engine was started at least once after the AOS was replaced to move the car from the service bay to the lot.

I think the engine smoked a tiny bit when I took off from the stop light after leaving the dealer's parking lot but it didn't smoke any more after that.

In the case of your Turbo, as long as the engine is running ok and is only smoking at start up and briefly I think all you need do is drive the car. The oil will work its way out.

What it takes is the engine should get fully up to temperature and the engine then shut off and allowed to heat soak some. Ideally before the engine cools down too much the engine should be started again and run some more so any oil that has collected as the engine sat and heat soaked will be drawn into the engine and burned.

Last but not least you need to find another place to have your car *properly* serviced.
Hi Macster, the AOS failed on my boxster on Friday - huge billows of smoke, pulled over, flat-bedded to local dealer.

Can you elaborate on your experience? I am having AOS & plugs replaced, then a day of testing before I pick her up. Dealer is not sure about damage to cats or other components and feels I was lucky that there wasn't substantial damage to engine. Cost is ~ $950.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:56 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
I have never seen a single 911 turbo that didn't smoke a little on startup and it's absolutely random when they do it.
I believe that this is partially true, they only really smoke when there are spectators.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
I have never seen smoke on my 993 turbo or 996 turbo on start up ever.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:13 PM
PCAR996C2
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I concur my 996TT smokes on startup but only after I've washed the car. So driven cold out of garage, washed and driven cold back into garage. Next morning there'll be a slight puff of smoke for a second or two then it clears.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:30 AM
Lago
6th Gear

Admin error

Quick Reply: Smoke on start up after oil change