Sponsored by:

Buying 996 Turbo S vs 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:52 AM
uwrasta
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying 996 Turbo S vs 997 turbo

In the market and trying to decide between 05 turbo s and 2009 turbo. let me know your thoughts. money is not an issue at this price point. both are cabs

09 has 55000 miles and $67500
pretty much stock

05 has 31000 miles $58000 and mods include:

alpha 28 turbos
- Carrillo rods
- upgraded 997 lifters
- Giac tune
- Speedtech turbo inlet piping
- 997.2 GT2RS IC's
- Siemens 60# injectors
- BBi pulley
- BBi coil packs
- IPD plenum, turbo and manifold blankets
- welded coolant fittings
- GT2 clutch conversion with LWFW (yes, some chatter at idle)
- AWE catted exhaust
- GT3 roll bars w/ Tarett drop links
- Michelin Pilot Sports with plenty of rubber
- awe catted exhaust
Old 10-08-2016, 09:15 AM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're going to mod the heck out of the car eventually anyway then I'd get the 996... if you're not going to mod much then I'd get the 997. My 2 cents.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

You're comparing a track rat and a grand tourer. Radically different animals. Do you want a GT car or a track rat?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:30 AM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy a 2005 turbo s with any mods as that's the most desirable 996TT from a value stand point.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:36 AM
uwrasta
Banned

Well that's good question. To be honest I'm just a weekend fair weather around town driver. I was originally sold on the 997 but saw the 996 in the pca classifieds and thought it might be fun. I have very little knowledge or experience when it comes to these vehicles except what I've read and a single test drive of a local 2001 turbo a couple weeks ago. After that local test drive I was hooked and had to have one. Speaking to some that might have similar mods. Does it make these cars less "pleasant" to drive? Only a car worthy of tracking? Or do they make the car so powerful that the experience would be unpleasant and untame? I really have no intention of tracking the car but thought an 05 turbo s would be a good car to have 10-15 years from now due to its rarity. Not that I'm buying as an investment but who doesn't want to have a car that's potentially worth more in the future. Anyway thanks for the responses. I'm definitely not stressing it to much and feel blessed that I even have the opportunity. Thanks all
Old 10-08-2016, 10:39 AM
uwrasta
Banned

Originally Posted by trendy996
I wouldn't buy a 2005 turbo s with any mods as that's the most desirable 996TT from a value stand point.
So mods of this nature make the car less desirable and detract from potential future appreciation?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:56 AM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
You're comparing a track rat and a grand tourer. Radically different animals. Do you want a GT car or a track rat?
How do power mods and sway bars make it a "track rat"?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:59 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would stay away from the car with mods unless you plan on keeping it longer term, harder to sell= most want stock. Buy a nice stock 996tt and do a small tune exhaust= all the power you will need and easily reversible or better yet leave stock. The 997t is also a nice car.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:19 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vogz
How do power mods and sway bars make it a "track rat"?
GT3 roll bar isn't a track mod?
Old 10-08-2016, 11:22 AM
vogz
Racer

Originally Posted by uwrasta
Well that's good question. To be honest I'm just a weekend fair weather around town driver. I was originally sold on the 997 but saw the 996 in the pca classifieds and thought it might be fun. I have very little knowledge or experience when it comes to these vehicles except what I've read and a single test drive of a local 2001 turbo a couple weeks ago. After that local test drive I was hooked and had to have one. Speaking to some that might have similar mods. Does it make these cars less "pleasant" to drive? Only a car worthy of tracking? Or do they make the car so powerful that the experience would be unpleasant and untame? I really have no intention of tracking the car but thought an 05 turbo s would be a good car to have 10-15 years from now due to its rarity. Not that I'm buying as an investment but who doesn't want to have a car that's potentially worth more in the future. Anyway thanks for the responses. I'm definitely not stressing it to much and feel blessed that I even have the opportunity. Thanks all
Drive both and see what you like better. Also make sure to have a through PPI done on the one you pick.

I don't think the 996TTS will be "less pleasant" to drive based on the mods listed and it definitely isn't a track only car. It basically has a good bit of power over stock (with upgrades to make engine reliable at much higher power levels) and a very minimal suspension upgrade. The car could be making anywhere from 550 to 800+ HP and that will all depend on the tuning + gas used.

In my experience modifying cars there are 3 things that can make a modded car unpleasant to drive on the street. I call them "Loud", "Stiff", and "Jerky".

1. Excessively loud exhaust with drone (The car in question has a catted AWE exhaust so not an issue)

2. Overly stiff suspension (based on mods listed the only suspension change is sway bars which will have nearly zero effect on ride quality)

3. Partial throttle drivability problems (It's all in the tune. If it accelerates smoothly at part throttle it will be just as pleasant to drive around town as a bone stock 996 Turbo)

As far as value in the future goes. If you keep it lower miles and it doesn't get into any accidents the mods won't "hurt" it's value. They will make the buyer market for it much smaller though.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You are essentially getting the same driving exp @ 30k cheaper or 30k more.

I liked the looks of the 997 more than the 996 at first, but now I prefer the 996. drive em both go from there.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:27 AM
vogz
Racer

GT3 roll bar isn't a track mod?
It's a slightly thicker rear sway bar to tame body roll and reduce understeer.

While cars that are tracked a lot probably all have upgraded sway bars, simply upgrading them does not make a car a "track rat". Driving a car with and without them back to back on the street you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference.

Hell, my daily driver has upgraded sway bars. They are a fantastic modification for a street car because they don't lower ride height or adversely affect ride quality yet can vastly improve handling characteristics.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vogz
It's a slightly thicker rear sway bar to tame body roll and reduce understeer.

While cars that are tracked a lot probably all have upgraded sway bars, simply upgrading them does not make a car a "track rat". Driving a car with and without them back to back on the street you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference.

Hell, my daily driver has upgraded sway bars. They are a fantastic modification for a street car because they don't lower ride height or adversely affect ride quality yet can vastly improve handling characteristics.
I see. I thought Gt3 roll bar meant this, or similar:

https://www.gmgracing.com/store/2010...-roll-bar.html
Old 10-08-2016, 12:04 PM
uwrasta
Banned

? Have any/many with 997 street driven turbos had problems with coolant pipes?? I was told that the heat/cool cycles under track conditions make the car susceptible to coolant pipe failure and not to worry about it as a weekend driver.
?
Old 10-08-2016, 12:07 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see. I thought Gt3 roll bar meant this, or similar:

https://www.gmgracing.com/store/2010...-roll-bar.html
Not when drop links are mentioned in the same sentence.

Quick Reply: Buying 996 Turbo S vs 997 turbo