Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure how much I'm saving on an oil change at this point...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KeepItTidy
I lol'd.
I Hope OP is doing the work hismelf for the love of it and not for the $10 saving
It's $120 at an Indy here. So it's $30 cheaper than DIY.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:49 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just FYI - if you really are doing an oil change on a 997 in less than an hour your likely doing it wrong- it typically takes 30 - 40 minutes to properly drain the oil and will make the difference of more than a quart of oil- drain it till it starts dripping.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:44 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
Just FYI - if you really are doing an oil change on a 997 in less than an hour your likely doing it wrong- it typically takes 30 - 40 minutes to properly drain the oil and will make the difference of more than a quart of oil- drain it till it starts dripping.
Warm the car completely up. I've tested the overnight theory by emptying the drain pan after 30 minutes, and then draining overnight. Drips only after the first 30 minutes. That's on an S 9A1 motor. It may not apply to all versions.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Complaining about having to buy new tools is a completely foreign concept to me. Doing so puts your man-card at risk. You have been warned.

It is standard operating procedure to NOT count the cost of new tools in the overall cost of a particular job. Having to buy necessary tools when you tackle a new job should be looked at as a benefit, not a cost.

I believe this is approved in GAAP. If it's not, it should be.

I am building a tree house for my kids. A few weeks ago I bought a very nice magnesium worm-drive Skillsaw. I needed it. Not buying that saw would have put my children's safety at risk. The purchase of that saw helped ease tensions between the US and North Korea. It HAD to be purchased. It will not be reported to the wife as part of the total cost of the job.
Well written. If you still have room to store more tools, you're doing it wrong 8)
Old 08-16-2017, 09:54 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are three types of 911 owners, the ones who enjoy driving them, the ones who enjoy working on them and the ones who do both. Oh wait, there's a fourth, the dentist who leases them and takes it to the dealer to get it washed every other month.

Anyway, buying tools should be looked at as an investment rather than an expense. After several DIY oil changes, those tools will have paid for themselves. It's good practice to get underneath your car and see what's going on down there. I love working on my own car, now granted I am an aircraft mechanic but still. If you don't like working on your own 911 but you also don't have enough money to maintain the vehicle properly, sell the car to someone that will.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
There are three types of 911 owners, the ones who enjoy driving them, the ones who enjoy working on them and the ones who do both. Oh wait, there's a fourth, the dentist who leases them and takes it to the dealer to get it washed every other month.

Anyway, buying tools should be looked at as an investment rather than an expense. After several DIY oil changes, those tools will have paid for themselves. It's good practice to get underneath your car and see what's going on down there. I love working on my own car, now granted I am an aircraft mechanic but still. If you don't like working on your own 911 but you also don't have enough money to maintain the vehicle properly, sell the car to someone that will.
Changing filter/oil isn't hard. I had to do it in high school and college for obvious reasons. Changing oil on a Porsche isn't much different. At $120 OTD, it's just not worth my time to do it myself. If oil changes goes up to $500, I might considered doing it myself again.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Around the country, some dealers charge well-over $300 for an oil change. Combine that to the cost of my time, and changing your own oil becomes a little more cost-effective.

I've always considered changing my oil to be a good excuse to get under the car and into the engine compartment where I can look things over and make sure the other components are all ok.

I have to admit that I have not changed the oil in my 997. I had all of the service done at the dealer while it was covered by the CPO. Plus, my dealer (Porsche of Southpointe) is reasonably priced and having my car serviced there gives me an excuse to check out their showroom, which always has several cars on display that are part of the Ingram collection.

I change the oil on most of our other cars, though. It's a job that I actually enjoy. Once you have an air-conditioned shop, a lift, a good selection of tools and a well-stocked beer fridge, even the most difficult jobs are a lot less tedious.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Around the country, some dealers charge well-over $300 for an oil change. Combine that to the cost of my time, and changing your own oil becomes a little more cost-effective.

I've always considered changing my oil to be a good excuse to get under the car and into the engine compartment where I can look things over and make sure the other components are all ok.

I have to admit that I have not changed the oil in my 997. I had all of the service done at the dealer while it was covered by the CPO. Plus, my dealer (Porsche of Southpointe) is reasonably priced and having my car serviced there gives me an excuse to check out their showroom, which always has several cars on display that are part of the Ingram collection.

I change the oil on most of our other cars, though. It's a job that I actually enjoy. Once you have an air-conditioned shop, a lift, a good selection of tools and a well-stocked beer fridge, even the most difficult jobs are a lot less tedious.
Fortunately for me, my dealer charges $200 OTD and I still take my Boxster S to the dealer because it's under warranty. Like you, I do enjoy visiting the dealer once a year. Plenty of nice cars in the showroom floor to look at, sit in, and touch the materials. They have a very nice lounge with good coffee, all types of drinks, chips, pastries, and sandwiches. I usually go after work and I get hungry. Sometimes I feel like my oil change is too fast. My 997 goes to an indy.

I don't change my oil in my SUV or minivan either. It's $15, less than $20 OTD with tax around my neck of the woods. $20 is not worth getting my hands dirty. This doesn't mean I don't do things myself. I'll swapped out the suspension, I'll change the battery, cabin/air filters, etc. Some things are just not worth my time.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:18 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, you're missing a good bit.

Most of the neighborhood quick change oil places don't actually drain your oil - they suck it out without pulling the drain plug. On the plus side that means they won't strip the threads in your aluminum oil pan, but they also won't get out even close to all the old oil. Even if they pull the plug and drain it, they don't let it drain long enough. Then there's the oil brand and weight that they use to refill it that doesn't have enough Zinc or Phosphorous to properly protect these engines, nor do they likely know the procedure for properly measuring the oil level in a 997 which means you're probably overfull, which can damage your AOS, or not full enough which can actually damage the motor.

I have difficulty understanding how some people who drive $100,000 cars worry about an extra $50 to have a service like an oil change done properly with the right parts, fluids, and procedures vs. cheaply and quickly, but to each their own.
Agree with you 100%.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:13 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
30 minutes is about what it takes to change the oil for me. I understand that it will take a while to fully drain the oil if you start the car up. 1 hour seems about right. In my case, I don't even have to start the car up or lift it to change the filter. The oil is already 98% in the oil pan ready to be drained. There is maybe 2% of oil still in the oil filter and oil filter housing. I suction it up with a turkey baster and don't have to worry about any more dirty oil in the engine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 08-17-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 08-17-2017, 09:08 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i
30 minutes is about what it takes to change the oil. I don't even have to start the car up or lift it to change the filter. The oil is already 98% in the oil pan ready to be drained. There are maybe 2% of oil still in the oil filter and oil filter housing. I suction it up with a turkey blaster and don't have to worry about any more dirty oil in the engine.
Ok, im not going to argue with you about it, i was just offering my professional input. But i would be happy to send you the note in the FSM specifically for the DFI cars stating you need to allow them to drain untill they drip for the exact reason i stated above, Porsche specifically says it can take up to an hour. I have dome thousands of these services.

Mark
Old 08-17-2017, 10:39 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i
I suction it up with a turkey blaster and don't have to worry about any more dirty oil in the engine.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:35 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23

There's the guy that likes cleaning them and taking them to shows. They don't drive the car or work on them.

All is good, whatever floats your boat.....

I'm not a dentist but I wouldn't single them out. There are plenty of other folks that buy/lease them because they think they have "arrived" and use the car as basic transportation.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:01 PM
keinmitleid
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Complaining about having to buy new tools is a completely foreign concept to me. Doing so puts your man-card at risk. You have been warned.

It is standard operating procedure to NOT count the cost of new tools in the overall cost of a particular job. Having to buy necessary tools when you tackle a new job should be looked at as a benefit, not a cost.

I believe this is approved in GAAP. If it's not, it should be.

I am building a tree house for my kids. A few weeks ago I bought a very nice magnesium worm-drive Skillsaw. I needed it. Not buying that saw would have put my children's safety at risk. The purchase of that saw helped ease tensions between the US and North Korea. It HAD to be purchased. It will not be reported to the wife as part of the total cost of the job.
Nice.

Well if it helps my man card, I need to buy a bigger tool bag, I have accumulated too many tools and the small one is overflowing and now my tools are scattered in various places (probably a big reason I lost my hex set).

I was soooo close to buying the biggest wheeling one at Home Depot, but held off (it also looked used and dirty) and wanted to check Amazon just in case.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by keinmitleid
Nice.

Well if it helps my man card, I need to buy a bigger tool bag, I have accumulated too many tools and the small one is overflowing and now my tools are scattered in various places (probably a big reason I lost my hex set).

I was soooo close to buying the biggest wheeling one at Home Depot, but held off (it also looked used and dirty) and wanted to check Amazon just in case.
Get the Harbor Freight - US General Red tool storage cabinets.

Its probably one of the best bang for the buck and maybe a 8/10 quality with 10 being Snap On at like a 10th of the cost.

Quick Reply: Not sure how much I'm saving on an oil change at this point...