Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Porsche really so well-built?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:14 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As they say, opinions are like ****-holes...and I have one of both.

I have had 5 911's but I didn't daily drive one until I got a 997. 2005 C2 base. I got it at about 25K miles. (if you are motivated enough to waste a lot of time, my troubles are well documented on this site a few years ago--my sanity was only preserved by being able to get feedback from this forum.)

My 997 was by far the most unreliable car I've owned. Started with CEL but wound through most systems in the car.

Like a previous poster said, lucky it was fun to drive. I got killed on the repair costs. Nearly $25K over 4 years or so.

None of my previous 911's were this, but I drove them relatively rarely.

Good luck, I mean that sincerely. I miss having a 911 badly, but I'm glad my '05 is gone.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:05 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
in less than 10k km of ownership.

-bad voltage regulator
-Y-cable
-bad starter
-headlight switch
-scored cylinders
oh and window regulators....looks like I am changing out my 3rd one in less than 2 years. or maybe its the door micro switch now. who knows.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:16 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think part of the reason why Porsches do so well in reliability is because people never take their car to the dealer. This is probably because they know that Porsche charges a ton of money for just about everything. Therefore, the data is skewed. On the other hand, if you look at the supply of parts in the market for all Porsche cars, there are plenty and many vendors supplying the parts.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 PM
McCulla
Pro

AWDGuy, you are my evil twin..

Alternator (x2)
PCM
Battery/Y/started cable
Air/oil separator
CEL diagnosis lead to:
Coil packs
Change all lifters ($$$)
Cam position sensor
Variocam acutators
Cruise control switch
Shift linkage breakage (in 5th gear, thank you shifter gods)

Never found the cause of the CEL (misfires on all cylinder code)

Traded on an IS350.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:23 PM
McCulla
Pro

*starter cable

Oh, I forgot -water pump
-driver's side door handle breakage
-(all the dash swtiches losing their surface)

All my service was done at a trusted indy shop. I feel sorry for them because I think my car was the most hated vehicle they have ever seen.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 PM
L96A1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Mine is 12 yrs old, has not quite 70K mi on it. Recently had to put a new engine in it due to bore scoring.

One by one every plastic part in the car is breaking due to brittleness from age. Just yesterday the engine compartment fan shroud broke off. Every time some panel needs to be removed for servicing something, no matter how carefully it is removed, one or more plastic clips break. The piston damper in my glove box is held together with a twisted paper clip because the plastic broke. The problem is, every little piece on these cars costs an enormous amount of money, and many perfectly good assemblies are rendered useless by one stupid plastic clip breaking.

I would count myself extremely lucky if the worst I had to contend with is a broken window switch (if you took it to a dealer, I would bet $5 there was nothing wrong with the motor) and a coil (I replaced all of them at 50K...you guessed it, nothing wrong with the electronics, it was the plastic housings that had cracked from heat and age).
About that bore scoring, is it inevitable?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 PM
L96A1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Starbuckslova1
There's some things to consider.

Ignition coils go on any car but seem especially bad on Mercedes - example would be cl63 plus expensive.
there plastic they fail.

Im surprised with the VW, they honestly probably have the worst record in reliability just look at the touraeg, jetta or Passat.

All Gm cars have there issues door handles breaking off, roughing rough, dirty throttle body.

IMS bearing on 996 and boxster.

911sc airboxes exploding- issues without Carrera chain tentioners

Toyota prius random gas pedal stuck down.

All cars have issues, its impossible its just how many and is it one after the other.

The 750i I had had 59k and 4.5 years old and a major vanos issue where the motor had to be pulled. sold it.

The audi I had was a disaster, random check engine non stop.

Any new dodge Chrysler is bad really expect for the RAM trucks.

Out of the german brands Porsche is the most reliable.

But german cars for the most part have gone down hill, the last 20 years no one noticed. They really dident increase their prices, they've either stayed the same or decreased. so accountants force engineers to use cheaper subsututes like the plastic cooling pipes on you cayenne. usally once the warranty is up that's it.

I believe its a requirement in Germany to make all plastic biodegradable breaking down within 10 years.

another thing with any car is the maintance, all the records and previous owner.

I drive a 2007 escalade ext pickup with 200k on it, I bought it with 166k- because it was 1 owner, only dealer serviced and I had every record on the car. Except for maintance and changing 2 door handles and the tranny cooler line ( it was not leaking but about to breakdown). I have not had one issue ever.

997's build quality is very good, for what it is, but its not a lexus or Toyota, ford now- if you miss maintance its not forgiving.

A car is only as good as it previous maintance only then can you compare it to other vechicles

last thing, Ferrari 360 needs timing belt service every 8-10k or 4 years that's a 7500+ job, if you don't do this bye bye engine.

I feel you can easily get 100k out of a 997. not gonna happen with an Italian car. unless its 8-10 owners later
I have only owned 3 cars, 2 VW and this Targa 911, the 2 VWs never gave me an issue, actually I'm ok with car issues, but I can't accept major failures that just you have to pull over and wait or an open window in a bad rain...
im planning for a 3000km drive, I still want to take the Porsche, but I'm not sure. We buy German cars that were made in Germany, not Mexico or South Africa. Bad experience with both.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I'll tread lightly as I don't want this to be perceived as gloating but the current 997.2 S has been rock solid barring a very early factory recall of the HPFP. No interior peeling, minor niggles , etc. As a matter of fact, in all of my Porsche ownership (5 911's) the biggest "failure" was a bad steering rack on my '95 993 C4.

They can pry this one from my cold dead hands.

Quick Reply: Is Porsche really so well-built?