Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console melted while at the dealership, any ideas on how?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:53 PM
BMFX
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center console melted while at the dealership, any ideas on how?

I recently dropped my car off at the dealership to replace my sunroof assembly. The cable to close the sun-roof had snapped, and the entire assembly needed to be replaced as a result.

I picked up my car with a dead battery and the center console seemingly melted/burned. I am curious if anyone else has ever had this happen and or if anyone has any theories on how this could have happened.

The dealership is saying it isn't their fault at all, and they want photo proof that this didn't exist prior to me dropping it off. Which is mildly frustrating, since I obviously didn't do a full walk through.

My current question is if they pulled the sunroof out and rested it on the center console, could this have happened? It's also worth noting the vehicle was in Arizona - so ambient temperature was 100-110 degrees, depending on where and how they stored it.

I'd love any feedback on thoughts as to what could have caused this, or if anyone has ever seen this before. Thanks... Also, I guess let this be a subtle reminder to do a full walk through of your car before dropping it off at a dealer.

PS. Its a 10-year-old car, and I drive the hell out of it so yes there's a ton of general wear and tear, but this is ridiculous.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:57 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BMFX
The dealership is saying it isn't their fault at all
Imagine that.

Dealerships suck.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:01 AM
BMFX
AutoX

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Imagine that.

Dealerships suck.
I'd agree, but I needed to get the entire sunroof replaced and the aftermarket warranty almost always requires a dealership to do the repairs.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:14 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

PC or PNS?

Auto body temps can get to 175+ degrees if left outside all day.

It also would not surprise me that long exposure to direct sunlight (facing west in this case) might do this on aged plastic and such.

Lastly, did the dealership do a walk around before they took possession? If they did not note it, then it was fine when you dropped off the car.

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. I'm guessing you are now a member of my DASH club, no? Dealers Are Merde Heads
Old 08-25-2017, 12:18 AM
BMFX
AutoX

Originally Posted by eddielasvegas
PC or PNS?

Auto body temps can get to 175+ degrees if left outside all day.

It also would not surprise me that direct sunlight (facing west in this case) might does this on aged plastic and such.

Good luck,

Eddie
PNS.

I am sure it would age the plastic but would it cause it to indent? I am pretty sure even with 175 degree heat there'd need to be a fair amount of pressure to leave indents like that, no?

Trying so hard to make sense of what in the world would cause it.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:23 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

No surprise and that was my guess.

I'm saying older plastic may lose some of its properties, especially in our oven like temps, so if they did rest a 200+ degree sunroof on it, you might get what you got.

Hope it all works out,

Eddie

Originally Posted by BMFX
PNS.

I am sure it would age the plastic but would it cause it to indent? I am pretty sure even with 175 degree heat there'd need to be a fair amount of pressure to leave indents like that, no?

Trying so hard to make sense of what in the world would cause it.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:02 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Could be electrical. Note that's close to the power port you have something plugged into. I would take it apart and see if sone wiring is melted. Give it a good sniff too as electrical burnt wiring is s odor that's unique, least to EEs like me. Sunlight and interior temps should not get highl enough to melt plastic like that.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:04 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Speculation: If someone put a foot or a tool on a hot (softened) plastic surface while working overhead repairing a sunroof and therefore pushed or levered upwards there might of been enough deformation to cause that indentation.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:09 AM
BMFX
AutoX

Originally Posted by DC911S
Could be electrical. Note that's close to the power port you have something plugged into. I would take it apart and see if sone wiring is melted. Give it a good sniff too as electrical burnt wiring is s odor that's unique, least to EEs like me. Sunlight and interior temps should not get highl enough to melt plastic like that.
I had that thought too, I knew they would need to disconnect the power and the fact the battery was dead when there were no signs makes me question an electrical problem.

Cars still at the dealership at the moment. Debating how to move forward, hoping the warranty companies photos show no damage. That'd make this cut and dry.

Otherwise, I am going to likely have to open it up and check for the burning myself... Because I doubt they'd be will to voluntarily open it up. Plus even if its electrical, they'll likely argue that it was pre-existing.

Which I feel like if a dealer see's that they'd note it when they intake a car but I guess I will just need to do a full video walk through inside and outside.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:27 AM
RodneyB
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I would ask if the tech used a trouble light to see what he was doing inside a dark interior. If he was not bright enough to not drain the battery he might not be bright enough to place a cheap trouble light with the reflector down on top of your console to see what he was doing. Just a thought from a guy who wrenched for a living years ago. A couple hours like that would easily melt plastic. Also it looks like the red seatbelt release button got hot and that is NOT electrical.
Attached Images   

Last edited by RodneyB; 08-25-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:25 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

If it was me, I'd ask politely to speak to the manager, then the managers manager etc etc until I found someone who cares about the businesses reputation more than a single jobs profitability.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:45 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 131 Posts

Give them every opportunity to make this right. Escalate until you have exhausted all your options.

If and only if they don't respond well.. then get a little shady. Test drive another vehicle and swap the parts.

No way am I eating that cost.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
Give them every opportunity to make this right. Escalate until you have exhausted all your options.

If and only if they don't respond well.. then get a little shady. Test drive another vehicle and swap the parts.

No way am I eating that cost.
Shady? How about low life. You don't steal parts off another car unless he wants legal issues on top of something relatively minor..

OP, what state are you in? I am a lawyer and would lend a free helping hand if in a state wherein my firm has an office. Also, what dealer?

Edit . . Sorry . . . See Arizona now. In California, not not Az. Surely someone on here has an Arizona license. This is an easy fix for a decent lawyer.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:56 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Shady? How about low life. You don't steal parts off another car unless he wants legal issues on top of something relatively minor..
Disagree but understand your perspective.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:44 AM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks heat related. Maybe intense reflection off something into the hole in your roof? Electrical problem under the melted area? Could be solvent related.

But honestly your pictures are not doing you any favors. Not sure how to say it nicely, but the "patina" of the surrounding areas make it appear as if the damage is not recent.

Quick Reply: Center console melted while at the dealership, any ideas on how?