Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you CA guys putting on a front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:54 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Negative. Just pay the "clean-looking bumper tax" when you get the parking ticket.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:02 PM
Marshal_Mercer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it comical that so many who have responded are adamant about not having a front licence plate on their car. I live in a state that requires one, so I comply with the law. Is it really that big a deal?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:24 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marshal_Mercer
I find it comical that so many who have responded are adamant about not having a front licence plate on their car. I live in a state that requires one, so I comply with the law. Is it really that big a deal?
Thanks. I'm a "law abider" like you. I am new to Porsches, but it seems like the cosmetic look without one is of very high importance to many members. I actually get both sides. Still not sure which way I will go on this. RJ
Old 11-18-2017, 01:05 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I look at it like this. You're out to dinner one night and have a glass of wine. You get pulled over because of no plate. Worth the hassle? Not to me. I run the plate on the tow hook mount from rennline. After getting two parking tickets in front of my office, I gave up.
^^^^This.

Any attention from the police is unwanted attention. The law in CA is you need to run with a front plate. In L.A. at least, the city is broke and cops are just itching to enhance revenue by pulling people over and giving tickets out for any reason they can find. I got pulled over a few times when I had no front plate, and I was tired of it. I don't hate cops, but I hate being pulled over by them.

Would I rather run without a plate? For sure. But I'd rather run with a plate and fly under the radar, than run without one and be a cop magnet.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:23 AM
D3RP
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default And thus the benefit of the tow hook mount...

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I look at it like this. You're out to dinner one night and have a glass of wine. You get pulled over because of no plate. Worth the hassle? Not to me. I run the plate on the tow hook mount from rennline. After getting two parking tickets in front of my office, I gave up.
Never will advocate for drinking and driving, but wine does complement food. And it takes 3 minutes to remove dead plate and screw in tow hook plate when date night is on. Car is warming up whilst tow hook screwing. Best of both worlds.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:29 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by D3RP
Never will advocate for drinking and driving, but wine does complement food. And it takes 3 minutes to remove dead plate and screw in tow hook plate when date night is on. Car is warming up whilst tow hook screwing. Best of both worlds.
This does make a lot of sense, depending on your drinking situation. Thanks RJ

Last edited by SoCal RJ; 11-18-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:40 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

No front plate here in OC. Never an issue. I hear LA is a different story - meter maids in Santa Monica, LAX, etc. all out to get ya. If I have to drive to LA I take my 4Runner, which I might add is also much more resistant to tire and wheel damage from all the nasty broken pavement and potholes up there.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:44 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No way. But I have a tow hook plate set up that I can install in seconds when I park in Santa Monica.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:50 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Marshal_Mercer
Better change your avatar picture. Sure looks nice without the plate!

The only laws I break are the stupid ones.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:13 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mreloc
No way. But I have a tow hook plate set up that I can install in seconds when I park in Santa Monica.
Good idea. Or possibly put it on top of the dash in certain places or situations? RJ
Old 11-18-2017, 03:10 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
Good idea. Or possibly put it on top of the dash in certain places or situations? RJ
Unfortunately, placing on the dash is not legal. They'll still ticket you. I keep the tow hook mounted plate in the frunk with same idea others have. Knock on wood, I have never been stopped or ticketed.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:11 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OP: you asked about California, which is where I live as well

I don't run front plates on either of my 911s

Every few years I get a ticket for this, then I just install my tow hook mount with the plate and pay a minimal fine

IME meter maids in urban areas are more focused on this than elsewhere. CHP will always throw in a no front plate if they pull me over
Old 11-19-2017, 11:22 PM
Marshal_Mercer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996AE
Better change your avatar picture. Sure looks nice without the plate!
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:03 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 239 Posts

I'm actually surprised California, especially being the most populous state, doesn't ditch the front plate for the cost savings alone (probably because the ticket revenue supersedes the manufacturing/material cost savings ). Many states do not require front plates. Motorcycles don't require them, so why should cars? It really is a dumb antiquated law.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:36 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blakecam
Unfortunately, placing on the dash is not legal. They'll still ticket you. I keep the tow hook mounted plate in the frunk with same idea others have. Knock on wood, I have never been stopped or ticketed.
Thanks. This sounds like the best compromise. RJ

Quick Reply: Are you CA guys putting on a front license plate?