Sponsored by:

Anyone into BMW M2/M2C?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:23 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Anyone into BMW M2/M2C?

I bought my beloved 997.2 C4S manual/coupe with basically all that I needed about 6mo ago. I’ve been slowly setting it up just right for me -> hardwired radar, clear corners, resprayed the front bumper to get rid of the front plate holes for the PO. It’s basically just as I want it and with only 15k miles, I think she’s a keeper.

Which brings me to a dilema. I put deposits on the hotter M2 models many years ago. Even before we knew what they would be called. M2 CSL or M2 competition, etc. My dealer called today to offer me first buildable slot on the M2 C. I’m conflicted. It’s shohld be a riot but seems like a kid car. I think I’m forever converted from BMW. Perhaps I wait for the M2 GTS/CSL, but after the M4 GTS debacle, I am not sure I want to take that risk.

I know the answer is clear to keep the C4S. But do I add the M2 and flip it for little to no cost and drive it for a few months? Not sure this is possible. Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2018, 11:39 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I guess the real question is how much do you want to own a sports car. Because the BMW M2/3/4 are not sports cars. I say that as someone currently thinking about buying an E92 M3. I wouldn't be buying it as a sports car. That's not what it is. I'd be buying it to replace my daily 128i that I drive to the office. So my wife would have a car of ours she will actually drive. Great handling, epic V8, but not a sports car, or even close.

Just because a lot of people say something (like an M2/3/4 is a sports car) doesn't make it true. Its an incredibly competent luxury sedan or coupe. That's it. And that's plenty for a lot of people. Not judging. I'd buy an M2. But I wouldn't lie to myself or others and say its a sports car. Nor would I replace something awfully close to being a sports car (my 911) with that. I'd buy it for a different purpose. If you're gonna get the M2 as another car to add to the 911.. then keep it. But buying it to flip it is the crap that messes it up for people who want to buy the car and actually enjoy it.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Fined, i actually just picked up a E90 M3 DCT as that and my 997.1 4S were my fav cars. Like yourself I've bought it as a daily driver and something more family oriented that i can take the wife and dog with on long drives and to keep low key unlike the 997.

LISSailor, i drove the M2 as well before buying my M3 and its a great car in its own regard. Id be somewhat torn. Im fortunate that i can afford both, although bought both of mine used. If you can keep both, do it, as that M2 chassis is awesome and its much better for daily usage than a 997. Im not sure what your car situation is but in your climate I'm sure a 911 is best reserved as a second car..
Old 06-15-2018, 06:55 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I contemplated a deposit on the M2 variant you're talking about. Never did pull the trigger because BMW keeps diluting specialness of the 'special' cars. The 1M was the car to get.

Don't know production numbers or how truely limited they're going to be or if there's going to be some upgraded version shortly down the road. My dealer currently has two M2 cars sitting outside. Demand can't be that high.

If if in a low sales tax and low property tax state, I'd probably bite but otherwise I'd leave it alone.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:55 PM
LISsailor
Pro

To clarfiy, I daily a GMC Crew Cab Denali and the C4S is used to mix it up. I use the Porsche about 20% of the time. It's a pleasure car.

I do not think I want to carry two cars due to lack of storage and, of course, funds that could be used elsewhere. I think I'd rather add a G50 911 or 964 before another BMW.

The M2 seems like a cool car though, but I think I am beyond that stage at this point. A sad realization I guess.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:05 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

BMW used to have free M Track Days. I was able to sign up for the grand opening of Thermal in SoCal. We've got to boot around all of the M cars around their track. IMO, the M2 was fun but wasn't all that impressed. If you're really thinking about adding the M2 to the stable, drive it around the track first and then go from there.

https://mtrackdays.bmwusa.com/
Old 06-15-2018, 07:13 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 694 Likes on 383 Posts

I sat shotgun with a Spring Mountain instructor on the middle course in an M2, it was plenty capable and with all the nannies off, he killed it. Cup2's on that car and it would have been more than capable for the mere mortal.

I can't wait to see the new M2 Comp.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:51 PM
secasensei
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M2

I have an M2 1.0. It basically is my fun car with a warranty. The M2c will be a 2.0 BUT there will be a 3.0 version coming. If you're first in line for a speedy M2, I'd pass on the M2c and wait for the CSL.

The M2c will have M Performance suspension which is a rebranded KW v3 setup. (Not my favorite) A detuned M3 motor and 2-300 more pounds due to different turbo plumbing. I'd hold off and wait. The CSL might be harder to get and easier to flip.

I have camber and race pads, run a set of RE71's. I enjoy it. BMW must have some kind of an event at Lime Rock to play with their cars, No?
Old 06-15-2018, 11:13 PM
Smindustries
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a month ago I bought a 2018 M2 to drive while waiting my turn at the GT3 well. Like an idiot, I sold a 997 Turbo S thinking, 'The M2 will be fine for another year'. I was excited because I have a buddy at a BMW store and he offered me the first allocation of the new Competition. I told my buddy 'Thanks, but no thanks', and I'm trading the car in for a 997.2 C2S manual while I look for the right Turbo S.

You are absolutely correct insofar as it is a kid's car. The chassis is lovely, and there's ample power, however it is not an impressive car as a whole. There are a number of oddities and downright dumb things in the car, and it's as if BMW is building cars to be different and not building cars to be great.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:38 PM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I've owned a number of M cars before switching to Porsche 7 years ago (for track/pleasure anyway - still like BMW for transport). The new / limited M's tend to uptick in price for a bit so if it were me I would take delivery drive for a few months and sell breaking even or possibly making a few bucks. What is your transmission preference? Manuals seem to be a dying breed so specing as a row your own should increase the rarity when you go to flip.

Comp pkg M2 with a manual? Hell I might be interested, by then I'll need a new DD and love the M2 - when would you take delivery?
Old 06-17-2018, 04:07 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Originally Posted by AutobahnMac911
I've owned a number of M cars before switching to Porsche 7 years ago (for track/pleasure anyway - still like BMW for transport). The new / limited M's tend to uptick in price for a bit so if it were me I would take delivery drive for a few months and sell breaking even or possibly making a few bucks. What is your transmission preference? Manuals seem to be a dying breed so specing as a row your own should increase the rarity when you go to flip.

Comp pkg M2 with a manual? Hell I might be interested, by then I'll need a new DD and love the M2 - when would you take delivery?
My salesman says it would arrive in October. I would buy a manual for sure.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

I find the overall quality, feel and driver experience completely lacking and a bit disappointing in my 2017 M3 Competition Package with manual transmission.

I understand the M2 is even a further step down quality wise. Candidly, I purchased the M3 as one last effort to warm up to a sedan and check it off my bucket list of cool cars to own, but I cannot envision myself purchasing another BMW. The Ms are cheap and compromised feeling.

Quick Reply: Anyone into BMW M2/M2C?