Sponsored by:

997 Airbag Deactivation Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:08 AM
Jespinosaesq
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Airbag Deactivation Switch Question

My 997 currently has the airbag light on and the Indy told me that it is the weight sensor for the passenger seat that is faulty. In order to fix this issue I would need a new seat rail that is going to be quite expensive. So I was doing some research and read a thread about the airbag deactivation switch for the 997.

Would it be possible to install the airbag deactivation switch and not use the weight sensor of the passenger seat? Can the AWS system be turned off with something like the Durametric Pro.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:04 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

That switch turns off your airbag. It is intended only if you put a carseat in there. I don't think your front passenger would appreciate that. And with that light on right now, I think that also means your airbag is switched off and won't turn on when someone sits there. Sounds like you should fix it properly.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,204 Likes on 3,958 Posts

I assume you have an 06 or newer as the 05s don't have the weight switch (no TPMS either). Installation of that kit is fairly involved - partial dash removal, partial center console removal, etc. Its probably less expensive when all is said and done to replace the sensor in the seat and have things function as designed. If yiyr habdt, you could probably do it yourself by disconnecting g the battery, removing the seat mounting bolts, tipping the passenger seat back to access the faulty switch, sourcing a replacement from eBay, or somewhere, and reinstalling.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:27 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Durametric Pro can disable AWS (passenger weight sensor) through its coding features. Not sure if the passenger airbag is disabled as a result though. It can also clear the airbag light.

Maybe someone local to you can help you out?
Old 10-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yep AWS can be turned off / warning light "cleared" via durametric and is what i did after installing GT2 seats (before i was able to get to a stealership for a proper recalibration of the AWS). per dealer, the bags are still active but simply not weight determining.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 PM
Jespinosaesq
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
yep AWS can be turned off / warning light "cleared" via durametric and is what i did after installing GT2 seats (before i was able to get to a stealership for a proper recalibration of the AWS). per dealer, the bags are still active but simply not weight determining.
My Indy was telling me that this was impossible.

If I can turn off the AWS via the Durametric and the airbag remains on then that would solve my problem. Currently since the weight sensor is not working the airbag is off.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:39 PM
Jespinosaesq
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Petza914
I assume you have an 06 or newer as the 05s don't have the weight switch (no TPMS either). Installation of that kit is fairly involved - partial dash removal, partial center console removal, etc. Its probably less expensive when all is said and done to replace the sensor in the seat and have things function as designed. If yiyr habdt, you could probably do it yourself by disconnecting g the battery, removing the seat mounting bolts, tipping the passenger seat back to access the faulty switch, sourcing a replacement from eBay, or somewhere, and reinstalling.
If it was just the sensor I would happily replace it. Problem is I am told you can't replace the sensor and have to replace the whole seat rails which involves taking apart my current seat and sourcing a used seat rail. A new seat rail is roughly $4,000.00. So that is why I am looking into an alternate. By bypassing/removing the AWS system the airbag should remain on as it is currently off since the one of the weight sensors is faulty and it throws a fault and turns off the airbag just in case.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:17 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jespinosaesq
If I can turn off the AWS via the Durametric and the airbag remains on then that would solve my problem. Currently since the weight sensor is not working the airbag is off.
I have my center console out right now as I'm playing with the shifter and cables. As a result the AWS light is disconnected which caused the AWS to fault, turning ON the airbag fault light on my dash, and turning OFF the passenger airbag. Using Durametric Pro I coded out the AWS system and cleared the faults. No dash airbag light and no active AWS system even though all the parts are still present in the car (minus the center console light). The passenger airbag is still active.

So yes it is possible to disable the AWS system with Durametric Pro's coding capabilities.

Quick Reply: 997 Airbag Deactivation Switch Question