Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member, independent screwed up front diff service, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 06:36 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Wow. This thread just got a lot more interesting.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:39 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,446 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Wow. This thread just got a lot more interesting.

Yeah KrazyK's self proclaimed $165 IMS repair using Walmart nuts and bolts got him in a kafunkle when he sold his car to unsuspecting buyer.
Engine basically detonated soon after buyer purchased it - Buyer posted thread on RL and KK went AWOL.
That was 3 years ago and never heard much from KK after that - He erased all his IMS repair posts.
Now he's coming back here on 997 thread giving mechanical advice?
That's some cowardly/ballsy BS
Selling a car on RL is a privilege and being forthright/honest/supportive is a given to hang here on this Forum.
Since I sell my P-Car every year or 2 and buy newer model, honesty and being upfront is most important and I get riled up when I observe any different.

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-02-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:59 PM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are funny. Even if a Porsche store screwed up a diff on a 75k mile car, they wouldn’t replace it with a new one.

On a 75k mile car, “making you whole” means getting the customer back on the road with a comparable component that works and warrantying it for a reasonable amount of time—usually a year.

Why dont you just just ask for a whole new car while you’re at it?
Originally Posted by groovzilla
Yeah KrazyK's self proclaimed $165 IMS repair using Walmart nuts and bolts got him in a kafunkle when he sold his car to unsuspecting buyer.
Engine basically detonated soon after buyer purchased it - Buyer posted thread on RL and KK went AWOL.
That was 3 years ago and never heard much from KK after that - He erased all his IMS repair posts.
Now he's coming back here on 997 thread giving mechanical advice?
That's some cowardly/ballsy BS
Selling a car on RL is a privilege and being forthright/honest/supportive is a given to hang here on this Forum.
Since I sell my P-Car every year or 2 and buy newer model, honesty and being upfront is most important and I get riled up when I observe any different.
Originally Posted by groovzilla
Hey KrazyK - As awful as the hack job IMS repair you did on your 996 3 years ago?
Was wondering where you went. Haven't seen you around since you erased all your IMS repair related posts 3 years ago after selling your car and basically screwing the buyer of your car who posted issue on 996 Forum after buying your car.
You got a lot of nerve coming back to RL giving any sort of mechanical advice - And to give me me crap about my marker light install on my 997 service thread?
What do you have to say for yourself?? Guess you'll just avoid the question like you avoided your 996 buyer.
+1 to Iceter. OP bought his 997 used -- with no idea how the previous owner treated it so has no idea how long the mechanical assemblies would last. A replacement diff and warrantying it until March 2020, same as the CPO warranty, IS making OP whole.

And +1 to Groovzilla. OP, you can't act on anything Krazy K writes. He used to own a 996 C4S, and came up with his own IMS bearing replacement "system" for it, using the cheapest parts he could find. Short while later he put it up for sale, noting it had a new IMS bearing, but not that it was his own 'design' -- instead of a commercially sold, and tested, system. When this bearing failed and grenaded the engine, the buyer posted it on the 996 forum. Members there told him what KK did, which is when he went AWOL. He has zero credibility in the 996 community, and doesn't deserve any on this forum.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:33 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

On a 75k mile car, “making you whole” means getting the customer back on the road with a comparable component that works and warrantying it for a reasonable amount of time—usually a year.

Why dont you just just ask for a whole new car while you’re at it?
My point was to ask for warranty to match the CPO that goes until March 2020 instead of December of 2019 (1 year warranty). That would be "whole again". I think the shop would not hesitate to offer another 3-4 months.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:43 PM
Moiraine997
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, thank you for the eager discussion, I have resolved the issue with the independent so I thought I would give some closure.

I got my car back with a used diff - they were able to prove that it came from a car with less mileage than my old one - good enough for me. I did not feel it was reasonable to ask for a new diff after I had already agreed to the used one. I also got the warranty extended to March 2020 to match my CPO. Lastly, the shop (after some reluctance) refunded me the original service and paid for my inspection at the other shop. They had originally tried to offer me a free oil change but I insisted on being paid. There are a variety of other shops to choose from, although I was treated well there.

Not sure how to prevent this issue in the future - probably by doing my own work instead. On another topic, just got winter tires today - ready for a 1500km road trip in a couple weeks

All the best, M
Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Engine basically detonated soon after buyer purchased it
Your wrong on all your info but this is the most blatant. The new owner had issues one year and seven months after sale blaming a repair made three years earlier. So you would warranty a private party used car sale? He even admitted his new engine only had a ONE year warranty. Hence this garbage frivolous lawsuit went nowhere. Seems several in this fiasco got banned, suspended, changed user names, etc.

Funny how on the same forum I've seen several 996 sales go boom on the drive home but no calls to sue.

Groov maybe you should mind your own affairs and just stick to helping answer questions for others. I have no problem talking to you civil in person should we ever meet.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:53 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Lastly, the shop (after some reluctance) refunded me the original service and paid for my inspection at the other shop.
Sounds fair. Glad it worked out.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:20 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,446 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Your wrong on all your info but this is the most blatant. The new owner had issues one year and seven months after sale blaming a repair made three years earlier. So you would warranty a private party used car sale? He even admitted his new engine only had a ONE year warranty. Hence this garbage frivolous lawsuit went nowhere. Seems several in this fiasco got banned, suspended, changed user names, etc.

Funny how on the same forum I've seen several 996 sales go boom on the drive home but no calls to sue.

Groov maybe you should mind your own affairs and just stick to helping answer questions for others. I have no problem talking to you civil in person should we ever meet.
KrazyK the information you provided is not what I remember, nor the other members who chimed in - I remember you as seller not disclosing your shotty IMS repair.
Whatever the case, it is something that did happen and I was pretty surprised you erased all your IMS related repair posts and went AWOL during the drama - Doesn't make you look like you have any integrity.
I'm the last person who would condemn anyone unless it was warranted.
...And thanks for at least responding.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:31 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

KrazyK the information you provided is not what I remember, nor the other members who chimed in
-

People who weren't involved in sale or suit wouldn't know any of the facts but the court records are entertaining and public information.

Buyer bought car with ALL receipts for ALL work done in detail.
Buyer used car for one year and seven months before alleged problem. Plenty of time to change whatever his mechanic wanted to.
Buyer blamed repair work done THREE YEARS before.
Buyer gets NEW engine with ONE YEAR warranty.
Lawsuit was frivolous nonsense. Not hard to understand.

I can discuss anything civil but threats and making crap up is just noise.
Anyway good luck with your latest 997. Nice car and similar to what Im looking for after selling my 944.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Moiraine997
I am not mechanically inclined - I would not be able to tell the difference between a good diff and a bad one. The claim is that the diff came out of a car with less km than mine - I will be sure to get documentation to prove this.

All in all, I went to this indie to save a couple bucks. I will not be doing that again until my warranty runs out.
I would expect them to say just that given the circumstances. Not sure how you can get that documented though. Why was it removed from the car with lower mileage than yours? Maybe that car was totaled and parted out and maybe you can get it documented that way.

Quick Reply: New member, independent screwed up front diff service, need advice