Sponsored by:

997 Maintenance Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 12:53 AM
kpv3484
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
I'd be interested in that wing if you decide to sell it.
Ill keep that it mind! Thanks
Old 04-26-2019, 01:39 AM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to be suspicious but if you are doing the work and while the car is in storage, I would check the coils and rotors diagnosis. It seems like low mileage for coils to go. If there were misfires, something is bad but it may just be one coil or plug. It also could be something else that is much worse. A good visual inspection should tell if the coils are really bad. Also, I would expect more life out of the rotors unless it has been driven hard and tracked a bit. The rotors can be checked within minutes. If you are paying a mechanic to do the work, I would just do it as it was recommended so your potential additional labor costs are pushed off for a while.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:42 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I was in your exact situation a month ago. I picked up an '07 C2S with 49k miles. PPI showed cracked coil packs, but no misfire codes yet. My brakes are good for a while. The front tires, however, were pretty old and needed to be replaced despite having decent tread left. I replaced all 4 with Michelin PS4S's.

Originally Posted by SFZ GT3
Actually, I think you have the priority order just right from a timing/need/$$ standpoint. If the clutch and brakes will make it to winter, that would be the perfect time for those and any other mods you have chosen by then. Oil, filters, plugs, coils are more "now" oriented and should be less expensive then the "winter" items.
Agreed. I would also wipe up the area of the weep/leak from the RMS seal then monitor it. If the car is derivable with the clutch as is and the RMS isn't loosing a lot of oil, you can probably wait a little while and knock out the clutch and RMS down the road a bit. Here is what I did....

- Changed the oil and filter as soon as I got the car home to Colorado
- Replaced the engine air filter and cabin air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor and front end of the throttle body (I did not remove the throttle body).
- Had the coil packs and spark plugs changed, had them check all other fluids for level and PH. Those checked out good.
- Changed manual transmission fluid (gear oil) proactively

If you take care of all of the stuff you have listed, you should be set for a while. If you are a DIY'er, you can probably knock some of that stuff out yourself. I brought my car in to an Indy for the coil packs and plugs, but did the rest myself, so that saved me a few bucks. My drive belt looks good and since my coolant PH is good, I'll probably wait until next year to do a coolant flush, new T-stat, water pump, drive belt, and associated pulleys/tensioners.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:53 AM
kpv3484
Intermediate

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
I was in your exact situation a month ago. I picked up an '07 C2S with 49k miles. PPI showed cracked coil packs, but no misfire codes yet. My brakes are good for a while. The front tires, however, were pretty old and needed to be replaced despite having decent tread left. I replaced all 4 with Michelin PS4S's.

Agreed. I would also wipe up the area of the weep/leak from the RMS seal then monitor it. If the car is derivable with the clutch as is and the RMS isn't loosing a lot of oil, you can probably wait a little while and knock out the clutch and RMS down the road a bit. Here is what I did....

- Changed the oil and filter as soon as I got the car home to Colorado
- Replaced the engine air filter and cabin air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor and front end of the throttle body (I did not remove the throttle body).
- Had the coil packs and spark plugs changed, had them check all other fluids for level and PH. Those checked out good.
- Changed manual transmission fluid (gear oil) proactively

If you take care of all of the stuff you have listed, you should be set for a while. If you are a DIY'er, you can probably knock some of that stuff out yourself. I brought my car in to an Indy for the coil packs and plugs, but did the rest myself, so that saved me a few bucks. My drive belt looks good and since my coolant PH is good, I'll probably wait until next year to do a coolant flush, new T-stat, water pump, drive belt, and associated pulleys/tensioners.
Great input, thanks man!
Old 04-26-2019, 08:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,953 Posts

Whenever you pull the trans for the clutch and RMS, remove the IMS bearing flange so you can pull the outer grease seal on the bearing.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:31 AM
RRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kpv3484
Nice man! Mind me asking what you paid for it?
Lol! It's not cheap. But if you talk to Jake he'll be glad to explain the charges. When it's done I'll have a unique, fast and beautiful 997, like no other in Nashville. This isn't about increasing the blue book value. It's about a car I'm in love with, and most importantly....peace of mind.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:54 AM
kpv3484
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RRX
Lol! It's not cheap. But if you talk to Jake he'll be glad to explain the charges. When it's done I'll have a unique, fast and beautiful 997, like no other in Nashville. This isn't about increasing the blue book value. It's about a car I'm in love with, and most importantly....peace of mind.
what did you pick up the car for?

Last edited by kpv3484; 04-28-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Remove price
Old 04-26-2019, 04:12 PM
RRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kpv3484
what did you pick up the car for? I paid $33k
A few thousand more. Mine is a Carrera S too.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:06 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by RRX
I'm kinda in the same boat. Same year model, no service records but clean and 60k miles. I'm already scheduled with Flat 6 Innovations for a stage II performance engine upgrade. I'm pretty damned excited about it!
Wow. That's pretty cool. You're the first guy ive heard doing a Flat6 rebuild proactively. Makes sense though: you pickup a 997.1 and put a 4.0 in it for the same price as a stock 997.2.

When do you get it back?
Old 04-26-2019, 05:22 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by RRX
Good point, and not a bad plan if you have the cash to front the project. Did Jake happen to share estimated performance gains from the 4.0L rebuild? I thought I remember reading that ~50hp increase over the stock 355hp was to be expected, but I can't confirm that anywhere. If that is the case, you're getting roughly 997.1 GT3 performance out of a Carrera S. Not a bad deal.

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Wow. That's pretty cool. You're the first guy ive heard doing a Flat6 rebuild proactively. Makes sense though: you pickup a 997.1 and put a 4.0 in it for the same price as a stock 997.2.

When do you get it back?
I'm also curious to find out the turnaround time. When do you have to ship it to Flat6, and when is the expected return date?

Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack. @kpv3484 , keep us posted on the maintenance. For those who are saying that coil packs aren't necessary, it's important to point out that they do need to be replaced if they're cracked. I think that is money well spent.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:58 PM
RRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheBruce

When do you get it back?
I deliver end of October, and completion is end of Feb 2020. Yeah I'm expecting around 50 hp, but Jake tells me the real performance gained by the 4.0L and his engine work is the torque, and power from 3000-6000 rpm, which is different from the high revving GT3.

Quick Reply: 997 Maintenance Help