Old 04-27-2019, 05:40 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 866 Posts
Default 19 mm vs 3/4" ??? Lug socket size

2009 C2S 133K miles

OK, minutia... I get it ... but...

My wheel bolts were getting stuck inside my 19 mm impact socket.... had to bang them on the ground to get them to free from the socket. The lugs had some free play in the socket and the heads were getting a little rounded off. So I just purchased a 3/4" socket and some slightly-used lug bolts from a friend... gonna swap them out in a few weeks. The 3/4" socket definitely has less play with the bolts. But the math is so so close..... 19mm = .748 inch and .75 inch = 10.05 mm.... the darn math is so close but 3/4" inch socket definitely fits better. So that is what I will use from now on.

Odd, my manual does not specify socket size.... hmmm...

What do you use?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-27-2019, 05:54 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Regrettably - one of these.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I thought those were so cool when they came out...... I want to own most Porsche technology .... not that nor carbon brakes. Cripes...

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-28-2019, 11:39 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I thought those were so cool when they came out...... I want to own most Porsche technology .... not that nor carbon brakes. Cripes...

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I agree with you on the center lugs, but you're missing out on the PCCB brakes. Yes, they take a little more care during service work, BUT they:
  1. Essentially eliminate brake jobs - pads once at 100k miles and rotors at double that
  2. You can feel the unsprung weight difference in both steering feel and suspension travel, at least on the rear wheel drive cars - not sure if it's as discernable on the AWD cars since the steering feel is already a little more muted
  3. Braking performance, especially when hot, is unbelievable, and doesn't feel like any steel brakes I've ever used
  4. and the trump card - no brake dust. A car with clean wheels make the car look clean even if it's not really, and the PCCBs generate essentially no dust. I cleaned the Cayenne on Friday then drove it 150 miles yesterday, some at triple digit speeds with appropriate braking and here's what those wheels look like this morning (pretty much the same as they looked on Friday, however the tires are now dirty as I had to do some off-roading to get to my ideal track parking spot.

As far as the socket sizes, I say use whichever fits better, but unless your 19mm has wear on the lug bolts or inside the socket, not sure why they'd get stuck. Maybe you use your 3/4" less so it's less worn.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:50 AM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 105 Posts

I think the "best fit" method (tightest) is the way to choose. Lugs and sockets can have machining/manufacturing tolerances (and wear) that "add up" differently in a given instance.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:54 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

PCCBs are a must have IMHO, I can't imagine being without them. Centerlocks - ugh.

First time I agree with him -
Old 04-29-2019, 04:56 PM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jchapura
I think the "best fit" method (tightest) is the way to choose. Lugs and sockets can have machining/manufacturing tolerances (and wear) that "add up" differently in a given instance.
I think this is the best answer
I bought a set of crow foot wrenches a few months ago to help remove my turbo fasteners. The one I needed that was marked 13mm was somewhere just shy of 14mm. If you bought the 19mm socket at one of the deeply discounted tool places near the 'Harbor', the socket may not have been manufactured to the same quality standard as Snapon or Craftsman, etc. The lug bolt should never get stuck in the socket unless something is wrong with the bolt or the socket, especially with impact sockets that are almost always 6 point
Bill

Last edited by tinkerbill; 04-29-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-29-2019, 05:02 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

It's a coincidence that this came up. I was helping a friend with an older Ferrari. I tried a lug socket in a set I had and 7/8" was sloppy. On line, 7/8" is equated with 23mm. I tried a 22mm socket and it fit perfectly. Later I ordered for both of us a hard to find 22mm thin wall socket.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:35 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Never use an impact, but you should buy lug sockets that have plastic sleeves to prevent scratching. I have used many different sockets on many different cars. I never had size problems. I think maybe you have some weird size lugs or painted or coated with too thick materials
Old 04-29-2019, 11:48 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I wrap my sockets in electrical tape.... I paint a ring around them using the touch up paint for the car so I can quickly tell the difference between my Porsche and Lexus sockets.

My 2009 has had its wheels removed many many times now... I started using an impact wrench a few years ago... the lugs are pretty rotten looking and the loose fitting (always was) 19mm socket was slowly taking the edge off of the lug points... it doesn't take much to make them stick the "Harbor" impact socket I was using. Regardless, I purchased almost brand new lugs from my friend (first time the wheels came off, was to put on spacers... he gave me his old lugs)..... the 3/4" socket fits better. Oh, and I have a bunch of old socket sets around and of the three 3/4" sockets I tried, all fit best than any of my 19 mm.. Go figure.

Did Porsche do this to maybe better service the car in USA? Under emergency situations? Again, my manual states a ton of minutia, but does not specify the socket size.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-30-2019, 07:37 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

I use the 19mm. I've converted to Husky tools from craftsman. (HD is super close and I bought the 1100 piece set). But the rear lugs do occasionally have difficulty coming out of the socket. The front, stock style bolts however, do not...

Cw
Old 04-30-2019, 08:53 AM
jfort
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Good lug sockets

Koken makes a good set. Different colors per Bruce above. Well made. Don’t need an extension.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:44 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I almost always use an air wrench to remove my lugs on all my vehicles. One trick I found to ensure that the lugs don't stick is fully pushing the socket on until it stops and then pulling it back slightly, about 1/8". I use 19 mm sockets on Porsche, my Yukon and my wife's Highlander. If I do this correctly they never stick. If I push in all the way while loosening them, they always stick in the socket.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 643 Likes on 402 Posts

17mm on BMW
19 mm on Porsche
21mm on Lexus
22mm on Ferrari

Never use 7/8 or 3/4 stuff on my wheels, ever.

Quick Reply: 19 mm vs 3/4" ??? Lug socket size