Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire kickers.....venting

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:53 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

At the end of the day, the buyer and seller should be assessing one another in any transaction, whether it be for an expensive car or a used couch. You just assessed this guy as not serious, no big deal, it's your car, sell it to whom you want. Same goes on the buyer's side, doubt that anyone will buy a car with absolutely no test drive.

At the end of the day, I'm bypassing all these problems with my 997.2 and probably giving it to one of my kids. Hopefully I can get another 911 at some point along the way so they each get one.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:03 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

I gave my last car to a consignment shop to sell.

Send me more pictures request get old.

Hey, I dont have any money and this would be my first sport car. But, can you tell me more about your car? I know you have posted a world class detailed ad but I didnt read it. Can you tell me more?

Funny.

I like to buy but i am not fond of selling.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:37 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 233 Posts

Dad is in the business. LivIng downtown seattle it’s not worth it to park the old car at $200 a month. I just give it to him and get a fair number. Less than retail but worth it after saviNg the headaches.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
You always have to keep in mind that 95% of the people are F**king crazy! Conservatively!
No argument against that.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I'm clearly in the minority here but that mandatory "test drive" is not mandatory to me under certain circumstances. I've bought two E46 M3's and my current GTS sight unseen without a test drive. Why? Because I had driven an E46 M3 at the local dealer so I knew what it drove like. With the GTS, this was my third 997 so I knew what that would drive like as well. All three were about three hours flights from where I live so I spent the money on thorough PPI's and enclosed transportation to my house instead of two or three wasted days, airplane tickets and hotel rooms just to drive a car I already knew what it drives like for 15 or 20 minutes.

All three deals worked out perfectly and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again with a car I was familiar with. As discussed in another current thread, a first rate PPI by a highly reputable indy or dealership is critical to this kind of purchase though and to me is the equivalence to the test drive except someone else is doing it for me. To each their own.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:01 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 284 Posts

Regardless of knowing a car I would have to have a test drive it , respectfully of course. You can discern alot form the ride quality and avoid having to chase down rattles and frustrating vibrations - just look at some the threads here. That would also be a selling point when selling a car that is "right"
Old 05-30-2019, 12:13 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I'm clearly in the minority here but that mandatory "test drive" is not mandatory to me under certain circumstances. I've bought two E46 M3's and my current GTS sight unseen without a test drive. Why? Because I had driven an E46 M3 at the local dealer so I knew what it drove like. With the GTS, this was my third 997 so I knew what that would drive like as well. All three were about three hours flights from where I live so I spent the money on thorough PPI's and enclosed transportation to my house instead of two or three wasted days, airplane tickets and hotel rooms just to drive a car I already knew what it drives like for 15 or 20 minutes.

All three deals worked out perfectly and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again with a car I was familiar with. As discussed in another current thread, a first rate PPI by a highly reputable indy or dealership is critical to this kind of purchase though and to me is the equivalence to the test drive except someone else is doing it for me. To each their own.
You compared a new car from the dealer to an used car you were buying???

Because used cars are always as the new version at the dealer.
No part on the car can wear out, No potholes can damage suspensions, Engine parts newer fail.
That is a great world you got there.

I like that approach and i'm glad it worked out for you!
Old 05-30-2019, 02:19 PM
Conch911
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a little more relaxed than most about this. I have bought and sold a dozen cars over the past 10 years and have test driven exactly none of them, as I buy and sell on Ebay. Granted, half of these were stretch limos for a business I owned, so there were limited choices and I wasn't going to be personally driving them. The others included an F-150 Tuscany custom truck, a BMW M3 and my current 997.1 cabriolet 6MT. I find it fun and exciting to drive a car totally foreign to me, and I trusted Carfax, the sellers and multiple photos for the condition of the vehicles. I was most apprehensive of the 997 as my last 911 was a 1987, but it has worked out great, and what an awesome surprise to drive after it was shipped cross country from Seattle.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:00 PM
gekko997
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Para82;15872137]One thing is certain - the majority of the general public are COMPLETE MORONS.

This^^ 100%
Old 05-30-2019, 03:48 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

mo·​ron \ ˈmȯr-ˌän, noun
A person who believes or adheres to an opinion that is inconsistent with the opinion of the person who has identified the "moron."
Old 05-30-2019, 04:12 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

[QUOTE=gekko997;15875629]
Originally Posted by Para82
One thing is certain - the majority of the general public are COMPLETE MORONS.

This^^ 100%
Yeah. You get people like this who think their car is worth more than certified dealer retail!

https://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/51...=1559243494226
Old 05-31-2019, 02:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Zettinger
You compared a new car from the dealer to an used car you were buying???

Because used cars are always as the new version at the dealer.
No part on the car can wear out, No potholes can damage suspensions, Engine parts newer fail.
That is a great world you got there.

I like that approach and i'm glad it worked out for you!
I have no idea what you're talking about. Where did I say I drove a new car at my local dealership to get an idea of how the used one I was eying would drive? Of course I drove a used one, same model year and very similarly equipped.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:48 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I have no idea what you're talking about. Where did I say I drove a new car at my local dealership to get an idea of how the used one I was eying would drive? Of course I drove a used one, same model year and very similarly equipped.
lol. Almost no difference in what I wrote. Dealer brings used cars usually up to speed in case there is something worn.

In your logic, any same model car from the same year, miles drives the same right.
Because there are definitely no damages, worn mechanical pieces etc. when a private party owned a car.

I repeat myself, I'm glad that worked for you.
If someone refuses to give me a test drive, I run since there is definitely something wrong with the car or he is not serious selling.
So far that never happened to me.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
As **** as I am about my own vehicles, I treat other people's cars like my own. That being said, if I can't drive or at least ride in a car, I'm not buying it. And I may just ride the first time, but at some point before the title is signed over, I'm going to drive the car. If anyone told me I couldn't drive the car until I bought it, I'd politely excuse myself and I'd be gone.

When selling a car, even the most inconsiderate buyer's money is green. I wouldn't run someone off, but they're not taking my car out on a test drive without me. That's silly. In addition to the damage they could cause without me there, sitting in the car with them is a sales opportunity and gives you a great deal of information about the buyer.

I don't care if I'm selling a Porsche or an old pickup truck. I'm going with the buyer on the test drive. If he brings the whole family and we don't all fit, then somebody is staying in the driveway, and it ain't me.
I do exactly the same!
Old 06-01-2019, 12:53 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Kg11;15875787]
Originally Posted by gekko997

Yeah. You get people like this who think their car is worth more than certified dealer retail!

https://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/51...=1559243494226
Great example. Who would ever pay that much money for that car? Were I talking to that seller, I’d be inclined to share with him that “depreciation is a bitch, deal with it.”

Quick Reply: Tire kickers.....venting