Sponsored by:

Condensers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Robert Day
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensers...

My air con is faulty. My low tone horn is faulty too!
So I decided I would attempt to remove the air horn and given the trickery you have to do to remove it without taking off the front bumper, I just wondered IF. IF is a dodgy thing and should be avoided...
If I get the air con re-charged and to no avail, could I kill 2 birds with one stone and take the bumper off and fit new condensers myself.?
(I'm quite handy - i've had a 944 for 2 years and done most things to it, Porsche's are a steep learning curve).

Who's done it?
Have they got some part numbers so I can replace with genuine one's that are genuine but not the Porsche main dealer genuine genuine's.?

There's probably a thread in here somewhere.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:05 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

If your AC is faulty you need find out what the problem is first. If refrigerant is low or absent you’ll need to find the leak source and fix that first before a recharge.

That being said, I’ve removed the front bumper to clean my condensers (I’ve posted pictures here). It’s not too hard if you take your time, especially on the reassembly. Well worth the effort as you can clean the condenser bottoms thoroughly, or replace the horn if needed.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:50 PM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by swingwing
If your AC is faulty you need find out what the problem is first. If refrigerant is low or absent you’ll need to find the leak source and fix that first before a recharge.

That being said, I’ve removed the front bumper to clean my condensers (I’ve posted pictures here). It’s not too hard if you take your time, especially on the reassembly. Well worth the effort as you can clean the condenser bottoms thoroughly, or replace the horn if needed.
+1
at 30,000 miles i took my front bumper off and was surprised how much leaves and grit was in the this area. If yours is like mine you need to clean between the radiator and condenser too. I bought a couple of cans of condenser core cleaner that foams up inside the fins and you rinse it out. Simple Green sells a product for this
Bill
Old 07-26-2019, 06:44 PM
Robert Day
AutoX

Well, the recharge guy put nitrogen in the system to see if there was a leak. ...and there was - right hand condenser.

I am just wondering if I have to replace any oil that is lost when removing the old condensers. Might have to tip them up and measure it. Some say 15 to 20 ml.
Bought a pair and a dryer/receiver plus O rings for iro £250 from a reputable indie.
I also bought Zunsport grilles to go in to protect the condensers and the 3rd rad.
Also, they will look good and will save me all that hassle of debris building up.

https://www.zunsport.com/en/porsche-...ont-grille-set
Old 07-26-2019, 09:27 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Mechanically removing the condensers is really easy as they sit in front of the radiators. The worst part of the job is removing the bumper and keeping track of all of the fasteners for reassembly. If I had the know how on how to disconnect and capture the refrigerant I would have done the job myself.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:29 PM
Robert Day
AutoX

I'm going to do the job myself and then get the system charged locally.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:24 PM
Robert Day
AutoX

Update: Did the job. Air con works, which is a peach because there's a helluva lot of glass to cabin ratio in a Porker and black sure absorbs heat..
Job itself was easy. Removing and re-fitting the bumper was a pita but I think second time around (and there will be) will be far quicker.
Went to the local guy to see when he could do the re-charge and he said he could 'take it now if I like 'and 'come back at 2.30.' oh yes please and I came back slightly early but the car was in the parking lot. My gut feeling was that it leaked and he bailed but no, my fears were unfounded.

Now, what's next on the list... lower control arms and drop links - front, 1 rear control arm, drive shaft and cross over pipes.... And I just remembered; replace all the rusty exhaust system bolts with stainless steel.

...and then my attention turns back to my 944. It's a full time job!

Quick Reply: Condensers...