Sponsored by:

Center radiator - overengineering / overthinking

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Derek997ABQ
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Center radiator - overengineering / overthinking

Hi all, I just picked up the pelican parts standard center radiator kit for my 997.1 C2S. I fully acknowledge that I overengineer (or likely just overthink) most things that I undertake. I don't love the idea of dumping all of the air that comes through the front center opening under the car. I also think that the inlet size relative to the radiator is quite a bit oversized. I am considering making a flanged bracket to attach to the inlet duct, cutting holes in the duct and venting them through the smiley vent. The thinking behind this is to reduce the air pressure / velocity / volume to the center radiator, while still providing ample airflow to the radiator. The air going through the radiator would be exhausted through outlet holes behind the radiator in the "floor" of the front bumper cover.

This makes the smiley functional, splits the airflow over and under the car, can change the airflow split by altering inlet area to the smiley duct. I would be interested to get thoughts on this.

On a side note, I can't believe you can get that entire stack of parts for a Porsche for $209.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:32 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 746 Likes on 426 Posts

Isn't that the whole concept behind the GT3 vent? The GT3 radiator radiates airflow up through the vent, so yeah, your idea is really good! haha. Maybe I do not understand your post though. I did just read a bunch of my student's final exams and it makes my brain feel broken. In any case:
1. GT3 bumper with GT3 radiator...
2. Carrera bumper(s) with vent cut in and either GT3 radiator or Carrera radiator upsidedown?? IDK.
3. Upgraded stock radiators with no center still?

Since you have the carrera 3rd radiator, maybe 2?
Old 08-01-2019, 04:43 PM
Derek997ABQ
Advanced

I think the difference between the GT3 radiator and the standard center radiator is that the GT3 is angled to exhaust the hot air from the radiator out the top and has corresponding ductwork. What I am proposing is using the standard down exhausting radiator and bleeding off some of the cold inlet air through the smiley vent to reduce the overall airflow to the radiator.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek997ABQ
I think the difference between the GT3 radiator and the standard center radiator is that the GT3 is angled to exhaust the hot air from the radiator out the top and has corresponding ductwork. What I am proposing is using the standard down exhausting radiator and bleeding off some of the cold inlet air through the smiley vent to reduce the overall airflow to the radiator.
pointless.

Unless you are lewis hamilton and expect to feel that miniscule difference in front end lift on the track, you are wasting your time here.
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 06:22 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 746 Likes on 426 Posts

could you flip the radiator so it vents up, or is that stupid?
Old 08-01-2019, 06:25 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
could you flip the radiator so it vents up, or is that stupid?
I don’t think that the plumbing will work if the radiator is reversed.
The following users liked this post:
jamesinger (08-02-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 06:38 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Did you buy the top duct? #11 It's additional and doesn't come with the 3rd radiator kit.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:30 PM
Derek997ABQ
Advanced

Does the top duct work with the standard radiator kit? I'm not sure why I was thinking it was GT3 rad specific.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:56 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Does the top duct work with the standard radiator kit? I'm not sure why I was thinking it was GT3 rad specific.
No, it doesn't. The GT3 radiator is larger and the drawing is a bit misleading -- the bracket for the GT3 actually vents upward and connects to the ductwork.

I spent some time over several months last year and was able to acquire all of the parts (except the smiley vent and hoses) used in both the marketplace and ebay. And since the GT3 bumper sticks out a little more, I had to trim back the intake duct a bit more than an inch to make it fit. But it works great, and shows a definite improvement over previous readings on the oil temp. in the Arizona summer.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:41 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 265 Likes on 165 Posts

I've gone back and forth regarding a 3rd radiator for my .1 C2S and have ultimately decided against it....at least for now. As you pointed out, it's an attractive price in order to get some more cooling capabilities. Even on the hottest days here in CO, the highest my oil temp has gotten is 230, which I understand to be normal. Usually it's 225 or lower. I think the biggest drawback to the 3rd radiator without the GT3 smiley vent and appropriate duct work is that it sounds like it turns your frunk into a convection oven. I don't use my frunk all the time, but I use it enough that I wouldn't want the internal temp to consistently get over 100 degrees.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:04 AM
Derek997ABQ
Advanced

I think i will just get a little creative with some carbon fiber and carbon/ kevlar to make some ducting. I live in Albuquerque and will likely end up in Phoenix within the next 6-18 months, so I will want all of the cooling capacity I can get. The frunk heating was something that i hadn't factored in, i'll have to keep that in mind.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:16 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 161 Posts

I just installed a 3rd radiator last weekend. Its dropped my oil temps 10-15 degrees and the grill mesh looks sweet, so im happy. I was getting oil temps up to 245 of hot days ripping through the mountains, and it would get to 225 quickly if I was running through the gears at 4k+ rpm. Now I have to work hard to get it to 220.

I cut two rectangular holes in the bottom of the front spoiler. Im a bit confused what the GT3 does. Ive seen some GT3 front bumpers that have no holes, and another one that had 4 rectangular holes and then a bunch or round holes punched in around those.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:32 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

I think i will just get a little creative with some carbon fiber and carbon/ kevlar to make some ducting. I live in Albuquerque and will likely end up in Phoenix within the next 6-18 months, so I will want all of the cooling capacity I can get. The frunk heating was something that i hadn't factored in, i'll have to keep that in mind.
Just be sure to keep the trips short when you have cold beer in the frunk
Old 08-02-2019, 01:40 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by TheBruce
I just installed a 3rd radiator last weekend. Its dropped my oil temps 10-15 degrees and the grill mesh looks sweet, so im happy. I was getting oil temps up to 245 of hot days ripping through the mountains, and it would get to 225 quickly if I was running through the gears at 4k+ rpm. Now I have to work hard to get it to 220.

I cut two rectangular holes in the bottom of the front spoiler. Im a bit confused what the GT3 does. Ive seen some GT3 front bumpers that have no holes, and another one that had 4 rectangular holes and then a bunch or round holes punched in around those.
I saw your other post. Your install looks great and very clean. Good work!

I was under the impression that oil temps in the ranges you've experienced are considered normal. Is that not the case?
Old 08-02-2019, 01:58 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 161 Posts

Yea I think my temps are normal but I've read some posts from Baz at Hartech and others extolling "lower is better".
https://www.elephantracing.com/tech-...d-engine-life/