Sponsored by:

2006 997S replacement battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 02:46 AM
dickeyjs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 997S replacement battery

So today I tried to start my 997 and it was totally dead. Like no lights or anything even though it's on a battery tender. I am hoping/guessing that it's the battery. Two questions. First, what's the easiest way to get the trunk open when the car has no power at all? Second, can anyone tell me the dimensions of the OEM battery? I'm thinking of ordering this one:
  • Brand: X2Power
  • Voltage: 12
  • Format: BCI Group 94R
  • Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), Starting
  • Cold Cranking Amps: 840
  • Battery Type: Ultimate
  • Capacity 20hr: 81AH
  • Chemistry: Lead Acid
  • Cranking Amps: 1030
  • Lead Acid Design: AGM
  • Made in the USA: True
  • Maintenance Free: Yes
  • Product Category: Auto/Light Truck
  • Product Sub Category: Premium AGM
  • Terminal Type: SAE, Automotive Post
  • Warranty: 60 Month Free Replacement
  • Weight: 55.75 lbs
  • Length: 12.4 in
  • Width: 6.9 in
  • Height: 7.4 in
I'm on a biz trip and would love to order this battery so it's available when I get back later this week. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:29 AM
Latamud
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To gain access to the battery, in the fuse panel on driver foot well, there is a slide out terminal you can add a jumper to, to give enough power to pop the trunk. Check your battery terminals before replacing it. Maybe corrosion build up not allowing the trickle charger to work properly. I had this happen after a long duration storage.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:41 AM
Dripola
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If that doesn’t work, there is a cable release behind the wheel trim on the left front side of the car. It can be accessed without removing the wheel if you can’t access your lock nut. Did this the other month, not ideal but can be done. Cable needs a good tug so get some clamps on it before pulling.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,194 Likes on 3,950 Posts

To use the 12v supply slideout in the fuse panel, the technique is to put the 12v + on the slide out, the ground cable onto the door striker, and then you have to use the second button on the key itself. The normal frunk pos switch on the door sill will not open it, just the remote pop button on the key. Good luck.

I don't know anything about that battery. I use Optima 34R AGM batteries in both my 997s, which are kept on Tenders whenever parked. One is 6 years old now and the other 5 years old. They've just come out with a new Yellow top that is a cross between a Red Top Cranking Battery and a Blue Top Deep Cycle and this is what I'll be going to when one of my red tops fails. I already have a Yellow Top in my 914 and 2 in my Malibu Wakeboard Boat. The one that looks like it should fit in the 997 is this one, but might take some modifying of the hold down plate like I had to do for the 34R versions. The R means the Positive and Negative Terminals are Reversed from normal as that's how the connections in our cars are.

Here are the specs on my current 34R compared to the H6 I plan to use next.

H6

Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,458 Likes on 2,718 Posts

I've had really good luck with Interstate battery for about $175
Last about 3 years.

I guess I don't fully understand why spending $300-$350 on Optima
are they that incredible?

Old 08-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I've had really good luck with Interstate battery for about $175
Last about 3 years.

I guess I don't fully understand why spending $300-$350 on Optima
are they that incredible?

If you buy your Optima's online from Advance Auto Parts, you can always get 15%-25% off of them just using the online coupon code at the top of the web page. Do the Buy online / pick-up in store option and then there also isn't any shipping. This brings the pricing down to much closer to what you're paying for Interstate batteries that seem to only give you 3 years of service.

The Optima in my 914 lasted 12 years, the one in my pickup (which is a DD) is going on 7 years, the one in my 997 6 years, the one in my wife's 5 years, and the one in my 928 5 years. All but the one in the truck are put on Battery Tenders when parked as I don't know how long a particular car will sit between drives.

If your Interstates are lasting 3 years at $200, I'm ahead in the game on every car I've put one into.

Just did what I described above - 15% coupon pop up at the top of the Advance Auto page. Today's price on a 34R is $239. After the 15% that's $203.15 which is about the same as what you're paying for an Interstate and they come with a 3 year replacement guarantee that's not pro-rated. If it fails within 3 years, they give you a brand new one.

Also, sealed, no maintenance, no leaking,

I originally went to the Optima in my 997 to make space for the remote air compressor and control box for my cargraphic AirLift noselift kit, so I could keep everything tidy under the factory plastic trim. I was originally a bit concerned about the size/capacity difference vs the OEM battery, but it worked so well, I put one into my wife's car too.

Here it is installed in the battery tray.

Here's a close-up of what I used to make the hold-down work. I used the OEM hold down bracket with a large stainless washer over it and screwed a stainless bolt into a nut underneath the tray in that last hole where there ins't a threaded nut welded on. Then in the next hole, used a washer and another bolt that holds down the edge of the bracket so the bolt with washer. on top of it applies hold down pressure to the battery lip. It is rock-solid and hasn't moved at all in the 6 years it has been installed.

Here's a shot of the AirLift compressor and control box installed in the space freed up by using the smaller Optima battery. The compressor is mounted on rubber fuel pump standoffs so when it run and vibrates, it doesn't transmit those vibrations to the car

Last edited by Petza914; 08-13-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:08 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

A battery is a battery.
Get a national brand from a national retailer. Then if you have an issue later, you'll have national service. Places like Wal-Mart or Costco
Skip the specialty brands with the specialty prices from specialty retailers with specialty operating hours.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wc11
A battery is a battery.
Get a national brand from a national retailer. Then if you have an issue later, you'll have national service. Places like Wal-Mart or Costco
Skip the specialty brands with the specialty prices from specialty retailers with specialty operating hours.
Good advice about buying from somewhere that has National reach for warranty replacement, just in case you have a failure on a trip away from home.

But, I have to disagree with your statement about "a battery is a battery".

Battery technology is changing rapidly. Lead Acid batteries with removable caps that take water, require maintenance, with short llifespans, etc is outdated technology. Gel cell or AGM batteries have become the new automotive standard - no maintenance, no leaks, longer life, better recovery from a discharged condition, etc. and now Li-Ion batteries are being used in automotive applications as well, but the cost/benefit on those doesn't make sense yet unless you're looking to save every possible pound in a racecar application.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,458 Likes on 2,718 Posts

^^I remember 356 guys using 6V Optima because it didn't leak
Didn't realize u can get 7 years out of them
Old 08-13-2019, 12:17 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 265 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Good advice about buying from somewhere that has National reach for warranty replacement, just in case you have a failure on a trip away from home.

But, I have to disagree with your statement about "a battery is a battery".

Battery technology is changing rapidly. Lead Acid batteries with removable caps that take water, require maintenance, with short llifespans, etc is outdated technology. Gel cell or AGM batteries have become the new automotive standard - no maintenance, no leaks, longer life, better recovery from a discharged condition, etc. and now Li-Ion batteries are being used in automotive applications as well, but the cost/benefit on those doesn't make sense yet unless you're looking to save every possible pound in a racecar application.
Couldn't agree more. Battery materials, manufacturing, and warranties vary greatly. Especially when comparing lead acid batteries to AGM batteries.

When I bought my 997 back in March, it had a no-name battery I had never heard of, but a date sticker of 1/19, so it wasn't my first concern. After I knocked out some other maintenance items and learned my way around the car, I came back to the battery. It was an "Econo Power" battery. After doing some research, those are refurbished Interstate batteries that don't carry a warranty. Likely a battery that the dealer I bought it from threw in the car on the cheap. I don't mind buying rebuilt/refurbished with certain items, but batteries is not one of them. Also, the battery was stamped "no warranty, return to place of purchase". The battery wasn't giving me any problems, but as I start to plan longer trips with my family in my 997, I didn't have much trust in it.

I bought the X2 Power (AGM) for my 997. I have one in my 4Runner (purchased 2 years ago) and one in my wife's Highlander (1 year ago) and they have been great. They are white-labeled for Batteries Plus, but are manufactured by NorthStar. I've owned Odyssey batteries in the past, but they're more difficult to source locally and don't carry a 5-year warranty like the X2's do.

For me, batteries are like tires: you don't want to look for the cheapest option available.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:54 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 265 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dickeyjs
So today I tried to start my 997 and it was totally dead. Like no lights or anything even though it's on a battery tender. I am hoping/guessing that it's the battery. Two questions. First, what's the easiest way to get the trunk open when the car has no power at all? Second, can anyone tell me the dimensions of the OEM battery? I'm thinking of ordering this one:
  • Brand: X2Power
  • Voltage: 12
  • Format: BCI Group 94R
  • Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), Starting
  • Cold Cranking Amps: 840
  • Battery Type: Ultimate
  • Capacity 20hr: 81AH
  • Chemistry: Lead Acid
  • Cranking Amps: 1030
  • Lead Acid Design: AGM
  • Made in the USA: True
  • Maintenance Free: Yes
  • Product Category: Auto/Light Truck
  • Product Sub Category: Premium AGM
  • Terminal Type: SAE, Automotive Post
  • Warranty: 60 Month Free Replacement
  • Weight: 55.75 lbs
  • Length: 12.4 in
  • Width: 6.9 in
  • Height: 7.4 in
I'm on a biz trip and would love to order this battery so it's available when I get back later this week. Any help would be appreciated.
I just bought this exact battery. It will fit fine, with room to spare. It definitely cranks stronger than my last battery, and that battery was less than a year old (see my last post).

My previous battery was wider, so with my new X2, I had to place the battery clamp bolt into the second position in from the passenger side. It fits perfectly.

If your current battery is a lead acid battery, you will no longer need the vent tube to be attached to the battery if you go with an AGM battery like the X2. I just tucked mine out of the way.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:37 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

For in the future if you any of you are interested in Lithium, we have drop in fit options with WIRELESS BUILT-IN Jump Starting.... 8 year Lifespan... saves about 30 lbs over a stock battery.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...es/automotive/

Old 08-13-2019, 05:59 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Odyssey 94R is also an option. Discounted when purchased through Advance Auto.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:10 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
^^I remember 356 guys using 6V Optima because it didn't leak
Didn't realize u can get 7 years out of them
Groov,

Keep in mind that he said that he keeps his cars on a battery tender and that makes a big difference. I use regular AGM batteries with battery tenders and my batteries last forever. I even test them thinking they have got to be bad but still good at 7 years. Not trying to poo poo Optima but I give more credit to the charging.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (08-14-2019)

Quick Reply: 2006 997S replacement battery