Sponsored by:

Scammer on the web. Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 12:51 AM
fastb4ck
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by sambeerbmw
My wife and I just did a deep dive after finding a CL ad in Indianapolis. It is for sure a total scam. Does anyone know if there is a way to flag ads across CL since folks above have found them all over the country? It is a good scam for sure and would love to help out others from falling in. Thoughts?

Sam
I saw the same one, and was curious...and guess what? lol I got the same email but with a different name now.
Here is the email:

I have the car now at Hollmann Group in Rochester Hills MI, with the title, signed by me, keys and all the docs, and I have empowered them to transfer ownership on my behalf. You can inspect it and than pick it up from this location Mon to Fri from 9 to 5 EDT. If you do not have that possibility you can also do it online and have it shipped to you. You will make payment to them, they will secure your payment and ship the vehicle (all shipping charges will be covered by me). You will receive it, inspect it for 7 days and if you accept it, they will pay me and transfer the title to your name, if not, they will pick it up from you and refund your full payment. To go ahead you will need to Start the Purchase on their website: www.hollmanngroup.com using my reference number (OGGRQENFWU).

Hollmann Group address: 2534 Product Ct, Rochester Hills, MI 48309

Phone: (248) 509-8125

Regards,
Scott O'Connor
Mobile: +1 (438) 795-1273
Old 12-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Fabio421
Man of many SIGs
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I too have had a run in with these guys. This time it was a 6 speed 2002 996tt coupe advertised on Richmond, VA Craigslist. This car had around 50k miles and the asking price was $28,500. I was looking for a cabriolet but for that price and mileage they had my interest. Anyway, same story. The guy claims he was a pilot for "First Air" and that he was now in Canada but that he had left the car at a broker, Hollman Group, in Michigan. The text of his last email is below. I had already thought there was something amiss but now I know for sure. So textbook scammy. LOL

"I have the car now at Hollmann Group in Rochester Hills MI, with the title, signed by me, keys and all the docs, and I have empowered them to transfer ownership on my behalf. You can inspect it and than pick it up from this location Mon to Fri from 9 to 5 EDT.
If you do not have that possibility you can also do it online and have it shipped to you. You will make payment to them, they will secure your payment and ship the vehicle (all shipping charges will be covered by me). You will receive it, inspect it for 7 days and if you accept it, they will pay me and transfer the title to your name, if not, they will pick it up from you and refund your full payment. To go ahead you will need to Start the Purchase on their website: www.hollmanngroup.com using my reference number (XXXXXXXXXXXX).

You have detailed description and Free Carfax & Inspection Report available on my listing: https://www.hollmanngroup.com/invent...AB29962S685298

Phone: (248) 509-8125"
Old 12-09-2019, 09:40 PM
gcthree
Burning Brakes

Location: Williamsburg, Virginia by way of Garden City, New York
Received 116 Likes on 37 Posts

Saw that, too! But the 1st picture (and of course this price) was the giveaway that it was a scam: there are no palm trees in Richmond.

So, how do we take this guy down?? I called and reported him to the FTC, and they requested that I also register a complaint with the FBI (IC3?). Seems to me that the actual Hollmann International in Germany cannot be too happy about them using their photos on their bogus website?

Originally Posted by Fabio421
I too have had a run in with these guys. This time it was a 6 speed 2002 996tt coupe advertised on Richmond, VA Craigslist. This car had around 50k miles and the asking price was $28,500. I was looking for a cabriolet but for that price and mileage they had my interest. Anyway, same story. The guy claims he was a pilot for "First Air" and that he was now in Canada but that he had left the car at a broker, Hollman Group, in Michigan. The text of his last email is below. I had already thought there was something amiss but now I know for sure. So textbook scammy. LOL

"I have the car now at Hollmann Group in Rochester Hills MI, with the title, signed by me, keys and all the docs, and I have empowered them to transfer ownership on my behalf. You can inspect it and than pick it up from this location Mon to Fri from 9 to 5 EDT.
If you do not have that possibility you can also do it online and have it shipped to you. You will make payment to them, they will secure your payment and ship the vehicle (all shipping charges will be covered by me). You will receive it, inspect it for 7 days and if you accept it, they will pay me and transfer the title to your name, if not, they will pick it up from you and refund your full payment. To go ahead you will need to Start the Purchase on their website: www.hollmanngroup.com using my reference number (XXXXXXXXXXXX).

You have detailed description and Free Carfax & Inspection Report available on my listing: https://www.hollmanngroup.com/invent...AB29962S685298

Phone: (248) 509-8125"
Old 12-10-2019, 11:52 AM
mr_scsi
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This web site is a Panama registration.

These guys have spent some money making this quite believable to average casual lookers.

The address is not an actual dealership, so you would never be able to see the vehicle.

Emails received read like form letters and never answer any specific questions.

All photos of cars are of a low resolution and hve no metadata attached.

A scam on the high order.

Good catch guys!
Old 12-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

As elaborate as this seems to be, is there anyone who would read the initial email and NOT immediately know this is a.scam? I mean, really, he offers to ship a car at his cost, hold your money and refund it after 7 days if you're not happy--and then pay for shipping back--again, on his dime.

The whole 'I gave a third party power to sign on my behalf' bit is textbook scammer as well.

Then, there's the price... .

The detective work here is very interesting, but I feel like anyone who actually falls for that has more money than sense.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by gcthree
Saw that, too! But the 1st picture (and of course this price) was the giveaway that it was a scam: there are no palm trees in Richmond.

So, how do we take this guy down?? I called and reported him to the FTC, and they requested that I also register a complaint with the FBI (IC3?). Seems to me that the actual Hollmann International in Germany cannot be too happy about them using their photos on their bogus website?
Don't want to be the Devil's avocate, but the pics could have been taken while the guy was on vacation in Florida or something. And is the Hollman group scammers, or are scammers using their name to sound solid ???
Old 12-10-2019, 03:29 PM
alexkroeger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The scammer is also going by Scott O'Connor at (438)795-1273. Same story. Craigslist post here: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto...022880426.html

I contacted the scammer just to ask why the price was so low. Wasn't interested in a soft top ! I was already on edge, but his first email back (which didn't address my questions in the slightest and offered wayyyyy too much unwanted information) made it clear the listing is fraudulent.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:34 AM
crazeazn
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My alarm bells went off too and thank god for Rennlist. I saw this ad: https://austin.craigslist.org/for/d/...025464177.html and replied to it.

Same spiel, got a reply via email from a380@pilotsfirstair.com:
"Hi, the GT4 is still available for $68,500. It has 4,950 miles, VIN# WP0AC2A84GK192758, clean title, no accidents and no money owing on it, selling only because I am in need of cash fast to put a down payment on a new house. I have left the car with a broker, with all the paperwork (title signed by me, keys) since I am currently in Montreal, Canada with my new work contract as a pilot for First Air. Let me know if you are interested so I can put you in contact with them so you can inspect it. More pictures: XYZ. I have attached the Carfax & Inspection Report

Regards,
Matthew Taylor"

1. The email URL AND redirect struck me as odd; did a WHOIS on it. It was registered last November-ish in Panama (SCAM!).
2. Did a VIN search and realized the photos he sent were from another dealer, San Francisco Sports Cars which shows the car the as Sale Pending with 1363 miles. This doesn't show up on the CarFAX report he attached. https://sanfranciscosportscars.com/v...che-cayman-gt4 (SCAM!!)
3. Oh, 4950 miles matches with the "broker" here: https://www.hollmanngroup.com/invent...AC2A84GK192758
4. The above url was also registered around the same time in Panama (SCAM!!!)
5. The "staff" listed in the above url seem to be real? people working for the real? dealer in Germany, https://hollmann.international based on a cursory LinkedIn search.
6. The scammer's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoP...PtA-t26PfvfL-w seems to be stealing videos from the real guys too! Their "Michigan" showroom video shows a bunch of cars with Euro style plate supports. (SCAM!!!!)
7. The listed address is: 2534 Product Ct, Rochester Hills, MI 48309 There isn't a car dealership there according to google maps. (SCAM!!!!!)
8. They even registered their business on Yelp!

I'm sure the attached Carfax was photoshopped. Sheesh

Well that was fun.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:18 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
As elaborate as this seems to be, is there anyone who would read the initial email and NOT immediately know this is a.scam? I mean, really, he offers to ship a car at his cost, hold your money and refund it after 7 days if you're not happy--and then pay for shipping back--again, on his dime.

The whole 'I gave a third party power to sign on my behalf' bit is textbook scammer as well.

Then, there's the price... .

The detective work here is very interesting, but I feel like anyone who actually falls for that has more money than sense.
This. The scam is elaborate, but still quite obvious.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:26 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,451 Likes on 2,715 Posts

Speaking of scams----> There is a guy who is selling Porsche in Vancouver BC & Blaine Wa.(Border town) who is super scammer.
I was totally up to speed w/his name/info etc but it has been a few years and can't remember the details but searching you will find the story on several 911 sites as well as early 911 forums.
He owns or owned an Antiques store in a small town just north of Vancouver.

This Douche Bag has ripped off Porsche buyers for close to $1million in fraudulent Porsche car sales, selling cars he does not have.
Most of the people he has taken prey are in Europe. A handful on East Coast.
One of his targets contacted me and went into detail how he was taken for $60K and he traveled to Vancouver from NY to find the guy and get his money. Apparently at the border the customs ****** went thru his laptop and found info related to the situation and would not allow him entry.
This scammer has been to court and they do nothing since Canada makes it tough to prosecute.
Outrageous how someone could have the ***** to pull this off and be walking.
Always be careful.
Like I have always suggested, when buying a car on internet insist on copy of sellers drivers license, copy of title and copy of registration and make sure they all match.
*Then before ever sending money get sellers address and work address/contact and most important bank and bank manger contacts and call to confirm before sending deposit.
Also important, if buying a car that has a loan/lien on it, get copies of current payment stub/records and current payoff/etc and contact that bank to confirm all info.
No sh_t---> I always insist on gathering this info before I'd ever send anyone a dime. In my 40 or so out of state purchases I've never had an issue.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:18 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
One of his targets contacted me and went into detail how he was taken for $60K and he traveled to Vancouver from NY to find the guy and get his money. Apparently at the border the customs ****** went thru his laptop and found info related to the situation and would not allow him entry.
I know the CBP folks can be pretty rigid but this just doesn't make any sense...why would they go through his laptop and what info could have been a red flag.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:23 PM
gcthree
Burning Brakes

Location: Williamsburg, Virginia by way of Garden City, New York
Received 116 Likes on 37 Posts

This SOB's website is still up and operational. We need to sticky this on the cars for sale page of the forum to alert members, not just us 997 owners.

Bob
The following users liked this post:
crazeazn (01-05-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 03:41 PM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Came across the same ad in Phoenix today ----> Buyer Beware!! Same Car / Same VIN

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/f...098060113.html

' WP0AC2A84GK192758 '
Old 04-04-2020, 12:20 AM
lbpa18
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Not as pricey but there is guy who calls himself David Peterson or David Murphy selling recaro Porsche seats. Goes by davidpeterson083@gmail.com or davidmurphy9008@gmail.com, or caseywilliams053@gmail.com, or enosjoyce402@gmail.com. His phone number is (857)316-4183. Complete "Confidence Man" sales pitch and hard sell. Then attempts bait and switch on arrangements. He operates using bitcoin and paypal family and friend gifts. Do Not send this guy any money.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:21 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Socialpro
Came across the same ad in Phoenix today ----> Buyer Beware!! Same Car / Same VIN

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/f...098060113.html

' WP0AC2A84GK192758 '
I recognize that garage. That is a place in San Francisco. I tried to purchase a 2012 GTS from them, but they sold before it called . . . sold it within hours of listing it.

Quick Reply: Scammer on the web. Beware!