Scammer on the web. Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 11:16 PM
gcthree
Burning Brakes

Location: Williamsburg, Virginia by way of Garden City, New York
Received 116 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Scammer on the web. Beware!

While searching for the car I bought, I found an '06 Carrera S Club Coupe on Cars.com. It was listed for $38,500, which seemed utterly improbable. But I dropped a 'I'm interested' note for the heck of it. The email car back from the seller indicating that he was now living in Montreal as a pilot for First Air. His name: Christopher Collin Robinette. He signed over the title to the car, gave the keys and the car to a broker in Rochester Hills, Michigan and was permitting him to broker a quick sale. The Carfax was clean showing one owner until Robinette bought it. Hmmm? I indicated that I wanted the car and would provide a deposit and close the deal in a week when the sale of my Esprit was transacted. The seller authorized the broker to hold the car for me and no deposit was needed. I began to do more research on Club Coupes and found prices all over the lot depending on mileage. Nonetheless, $38,500 was seemingly a steal even though the car had 59,000 miles on it.

I found that this car was sold a year ago on BAT for $72k, which aligned with when Robinette had bought it, but there was the red flag.

The name Robinette seemed all too familiar, and a search uncovered his personal website showing that he was a retired Air Force pilot who flew for Southwest. Searching through his site, the bell finally rung; Rob Robinette put together the 'bible' of 3rd Gen RX7 web sites with comprehensive information at the very same time I owned a '93 twin turbo and had frequently referenced Rob's site for guidance. I found another email address on the site and dropped a note to Rob at that address inquiring whether he owned a 911 and was he selling it. You got it! Rob doesn't own a Porsche and was not aware that his identity was being used in the scam. A quick Google street view showed that there was no dealership, and the online photos was stolen from a business in Germany (https://hollmann.international/) and repurposed them to create the fictitious www.hollmanngroup.com. They were not interested in my deposit...they wanted to make-off with $38k.

The web is a place where so many things can be foisted on unsuspecting folks.....It's also the place that you can (with a little research) uncover these scammers.

Spread it around. Any suggestions on how to bring an agency down on this guy?

Bob
The following 7 users liked this post by gcthree:
alexb76 (11-26-2019), crazeazn (01-05-2020), Hella-Buggin' (11-26-2019), SCEvan (11-22-2019), SoCal RJ (11-21-2019), ThomasCarreraGTS (11-25-2019), Tsilnner (11-25-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,258 Likes on 1,258 Posts

A car that sold at auction for $72K a year ago and now for sale for $38K screams scam. There is no such thing as a "steal" like that. That's the real red flag.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:47 AM
westlake10
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've actually spoken with this scammer on the phone. We got into quite the shouting match (well, it was more him going off on a barely-understandable profanity-filled rant about how I can't "do ****" about the scam). Feel free to call or text him here's his number: 438-896-3037
The following 2 users liked this post by westlake10:
crazeazn (01-05-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (11-25-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 11:34 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Is Rob Robinette's real name Christopher? That's where I'm confused.

I mean, it's an obvious scam so anyone seriously looking for a 911 shouldn't fall for it but someone not familiar with the cars might. I'm not sure what you can do, especially if the guy is out of the country. Inform the company hosting the website that it is a scam?

Any indication where the guy may be from based on interactions with him?

lol, scam youtube advertising videos.

Someone has put a lot of effort into this scam. Still...it's still extremely obvious that it is a scam.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:37 AM
jkoravos
Pro

OMG, 100% 5-star reviews!

https://birdeye.com/hollmann-group-1...0048144?page=3
Old 11-22-2019, 01:07 PM
adamo
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by westlake10
I've actually spoken with this scammer on the phone. We got into quite the shouting match (well, it was more him going off on a barely-understandable profanity-filled rant about how I can't "do ****" about the scam). Feel free to call or text him here's his number: 438-896-3037
Step 1) Download dick pics from the internet
Step 2) Text them to the number above
Step 3) Giggle like an idiot
Old 11-23-2019, 04:15 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow, that's an elaborate scam!
Old 11-24-2019, 04:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by westlake10
This is what I don't get about how these con artists keep getting away with what would be difficult to describe as anything but outright fraud. With no consequences. The guy referenced to above is easily contacted by phone but still no obvious adverse effect on his business practices.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:05 AM
Donny87
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sheepdog
Was weird seeing a posting mentioning this guy 'Robinette'.....I was searching for a Tesla Model S with specific equipment & a specific color combination
and guess what - I found one. Just one and it was a posting from him. Just like you indicated, he was a pilot and in Canada and 'gave' the car to this Hollmann
Group along with power of attorney, signed title, etc.
I actually talked to one of their ( Hollmann's) reps, who I must say, seemed very helpful....Said he did have the title ( signed by Robinette ) and did have the
car in their ( Hollmann's ) possession along with all the proper owner manuals.
That was last Fridary ( 11/22/19 ).
What I plan to do now is see if they ( Hollman ) will take payment in the form of a "sight draft" or have my bank transfer funds directly into their ( Hollman's )
bank account in reserve. - It'll be interesting to see the response I get AND even more interesting to see if I actually get the car.
Payment using one of these methods, protects me and also gives the seller protection in the form of a guarantee that the funds are good and available once
I'd release them.
I live in the Northwest Suburban area of Chicago and according to Hollman's representative, shipment to me, via enclosed carrier, would be the same day the
car would leave their facility.
I'll post the results of all of this within a few days !!
This post seems pretty suspect. This guy joins Rennlist today just to post how good his experience with Hollman is going? I'm sure he'll report back it went great.
The following users liked this post:
alexb76 (11-26-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Holy crap that guys good. Makes it sound like he gets protected by a sight draft.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:28 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Holy crap that guys good. Makes it sound like he gets protected by a sight draft.
It must be true...he put it in writing.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny87
This post seems pretty suspect. This guy joins Rennlist today just to post how good his experience with Hollman is going? I'm sure he'll report back it went great.
Since you just called him on it, if you are right, my guess is that this was his last post 😏
Old 11-25-2019, 12:23 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by sheepdog
Was weird seeing a posting mentioning this guy 'Robinette'.....I was searching for a Tesla Model S with specific equipment & a specific color combination
and guess what - I found one. Just one and it was a posting from him. Just like you indicated, he was a pilot and in Canada and 'gave' the car to this Hollmann
Group along with power of attorney, signed title, etc.
I actually talked to one of their ( Hollmann's) reps, who I must say, seemed very helpful....Said he did have the title ( signed by Robinette ) and did have the
car in their ( Hollmann's ) possession along with all the proper owner manuals.
That was last Fridary ( 11/22/19 ).
What I plan to do now is see if they ( Hollman ) will take payment in the form of a "sight draft" or have my bank transfer funds directly into their ( Hollman's )
bank account in reserve. - It'll be interesting to see the response I get AND even more interesting to see if I actually get the car.
Payment using one of these methods, protects me and also gives the seller protection in the form of a guarantee that the funds are good and available once
I'd release them.
I live in the Northwest Suburban area of Chicago and according to Hollman's representative, shipment to me, via enclosed carrier, would be the same day the
car would leave their facility.
I'll post the results of all of this within a few days !!
You live in Chicago and you are NOT going to drive to Rochester Hills, Michigan, which is about a 3 hour drive???
Old 11-25-2019, 03:46 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Originally Posted by Donny87

I'm really looking forward to hearing how his make believe experience went!
Old 11-25-2019, 10:53 PM
JACK PRINGLE
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Did anybody here visited this place, or is this a conclusion based on past experience? cause I talked to this people today and not for a second did they tried to not make me visit the place... what is the point in them doing all of this and how is it possible to have 163 reviews on birdeye and all of them fake?? listed on every business directory possible, phone numbers, address, website, all public and nobody takes down such an obvious business if it is a scam?? I do not want to offend anyone I simply came here after I've googled Hollmann and saw this post, and I was planning to go there this Friday...

Quick Reply: Scammer on the web. Beware!