Sponsored by:

997 GT2 Seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 05:56 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts
Default 997 GT2 Seats

Did a search and came up short. Ordered a drivers seat because I want both the driver and the passenger Thorax air bags and my wife does not appreciate the buckets. It appears to be plug and play with the four way sport seat that is currently in the car.

Here is the seat I ordered:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/997...-:-997-version

The question I have, has anyone installed a GT2 seat in a 997.2 and successfully added a heating element?

The car is equipped with heated seats.

What good is a thread without a picture of the 997.2.

Last edited by Patrick3000; 11-30-2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 12-01-2019, 12:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Did a search and came up short. Ordered a drivers seat because I want both the driver and the passenger Thorax air bags and my wife does not appreciate the buckets. It appears to be plug and play with the four way sport seat that is currently in the car.

Here is the seat I ordered:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/997...-:-997-version

The question I have, has anyone installed a GT2 seat in a 997.2 and successfully added a heating element?

The car is equipped with heated seats.

What good is a thread without a picture of the 997.2.
I've had those seats in two 997's and love them. You will too. Put your wife in your driver's seat once you get it installed and it may grow on her. My wife loves them. Feels like they hug her she says. As for heating, I don't think they're configured for that but I could be wrong. They were built as track seats so everything was kept to a minimum. Forget the number now but they are drastically lighter than any other OEM Porsche seat. Beautiful car btw. Looks like GTS exhaust tips?

Oh....one more thing. Not surprised you couldn't find a used set. The first thing the guy I sold my launch 997.2 C4S to did was source a set of regular sport seats and then put the GT2 seats on the market. Snapped up in two days for $7,000 according to him. Those seats were in very nice condition but had 43,000 miles worth of wear so not perfect. Still brought $7K.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:22 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Oh....one more thing. Not surprised you couldn't find a used set. The first thing the guy I sold my launch 997.2 C4S to did was source a set of regular sport seats and then put the GT2 seats on the market. Snapped up in two days for $7,000 according to him. Those seats were in very nice condition but had 43,000 miles worth of wear so not perfect. Still brought $7K.
Those seats are one of the few “bargains” you can get from VWAG/PAG. They were a $4,300 option when I ordered my car my car. I was on the fence but my salesman pointed out how much I could sell them for if I didn’t like them (turns out that I loved them).

Oh, and you might be able to convert them to heated seats. You would probably have to figure out where to put the coils on the seat (not much cushioning to work with), then figure out the wiring harness puzzle to power them (not to mention adding an on/off switch). I think it has been stated by others that all 911 harnesses have a connection for heated seats, you just have to find the wiring (module?) and extend it to the seats and switch, which may be quite an undertaking.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:57 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Guys thanks for the information, quick update.

Gert from Carnwel reached out and suggested that I go with the 991 GT2 drivers seat.

It is a direct bolt in for the 997, same connectors and has heat

This is a nice example of excellent service after the sale.

A big thank you to Gert and Carnwel.

I’ll post and update after the seat arrives and has been installed.

@sandwedge - That is a PSE with stock tips, so similar to GTS but a different color.

Last edited by Patrick3000; 12-03-2019 at 07:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (10-23-2023)
Old 12-04-2019, 01:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Those seats are one of the few “bargains” you can get from VWAG/PAG. They were a $4,300 option when I ordered my car my car. I was on the fence but my salesman pointed out how much I could sell them for if I didn’t like them (turns out that I loved them).

Oh, and you might be able to convert them to heated seats. You would probably have to figure out where to put the coils on the seat (not much cushioning to work with), then figure out the wiring harness puzzle to power them (not to mention adding an on/off switch). I think it has been stated by others that all 911 harnesses have a connection for heated seats, you just have to find the wiring (module?) and extend it to the seats and switch, which may be quite an undertaking.
Not that I need heated seats but those were things that came to my mind too. The GT2 seats seem to be different animals in more ways than just the way they feel when you sit in them. For example, the clips that Lloyds mats use to secure them to the floor don't work on them but work on any other Porsche seat I'm aware of. Which makes me skeptical about them being configured for heating. I get the impression that the GT2 seats were designed and built with one thing in mind. Light weight and an overall feel of performance. Forget about comfort features although I find them very comfortable even without heating.

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Guys thanks for the information, quick update.

Gert from Carnwel reached out and suggested that I go with the 991 GT2 drivers seat.

It is a direct bolt in for the 997, same connectors and has heat

This is a nice example of excellent service after the sale.

A big thank you to Gert and Carnwel.

I’ll post and update after the seat arrives and has been installed.

@sandwedge - That is a PSE with stock tips, so similar to GTS but a different color.
Where do you get the 991 GT2 seats from? Just checked Suncoast https://www.suncoastporsche.com/suncoast-parts.htm and don't see the GT2 carbon fiber buckets available for either the 997 or the 991. If Suncoast doesn't have them I'm just curious who does.

As for the PSE tips,thx. Didn't realize they were that similar to the GTS tips.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:26 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

Was going to comment that they look the same to me 997 and 991 but need to do look at these things closer.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:16 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Not that I need heated seats but those were things that came to my mind too. The GT2 seats seem to be different animals in more ways than just the way they feel when you sit in them. For example, the clips that Lloyds mats use to secure them to the floor don't work on them but work on any other Porsche seat I'm aware of. Which makes me skeptical about them being configured for heating. I get the impression that the GT2 seats were designed and built with one thing in mind. Light weight and an overall feel of performance. Forget about comfort features although I find them very comfortable even without heating.

Where do you get the 991 GT2 seats from? Just checked Suncoast https://www.suncoastporsche.com/suncoast-parts.htm and don't see the GT2 carbon fiber buckets available for either the 997 or the 991. If Suncoast doesn't have them I'm just curious who does.
Originally Posted by workhurts
Was going to comment that they look the same to me 997 and 991 but need to do look at these things closer.
I was at the track with PCA about a month ago and my friend had this setup in his 987.2 Cayman S, drivers seat only. I sat in his Nomex version of the GT2 seat and found it to be very comfortable for me. My car is primarily a street car and will only see 3 or 4 track events per year at our local track.

Keeping the Mrs. comfortable is a priority. She doesn’t like riding in my other cars.

Please note that these GT2 seats are ROW seats, not USA specification seats.

As a result of all the above, I am only interested in the leather GT2 drivers seat which appears to be plug and play.

I ordered the leather 997 GT2 drivers seat and was able to change the order to a leather 991 GT2 drivers seat with heat here:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/991...-:-991-version

Gert is very helpful send him an email if you are interested or have questions, he is very easy to work with.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:50 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I have just installed a set of these seats in my car. They look just like those in the picture linked in the above post. Very comfy.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:52 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

I'm still confused. What are the differences between a 991 GT2 seat and a 997 GT2 seat? Also, seems that your vendor has the 991 set cheaper than the 997 set. If they are both pnp why do people even try to source a 997 GT2 seat?

Are they in the US or are they shipping from overseas? If so, curious how much.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:37 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

I have done extensive research into this ^^^^^^^
Gert is the best and has answered all of my questions.

The Main differences are:
1 - The 997 GT2 seat has 2 cushions on the base Vs. the 991 has 3 cushions
2 - The 997 GT2 seats DO NOT COME with heating Vs. the 991 coming standard heating.
3 - Airbags etc are plug and play with the 997.
4 - If your 997 Seats have heating - they "SHOULD" also be able to plug into the 991 version.

I am about to embark on the interior refresh on my 997 - and will be able to update Point 4 at some point in the near future....

Gert sources his seats (and other parts) directly from PAG and ships around the world. All parts are new...

Simon

Last edited by Full Boost; 12-04-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:55 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

I did some reading up also. Seems like there's no reason to get new seats from Suncoast or used 997 GT2 seats when new 991 GT2 seats are cheaper than new 997 GT2 seats (either Suncoast or gert) and about the same price as used 997 GT2 seats

Still don't understand why they are so much cheaper. 2 cushion vs 3 cushion is pretty irrelevant.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Are they in the US or are they shipping from overseas? If so, curious how much.
Shipped from Belgium, send Gert an e-mail and he will get right back to you with a quote including shipping.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:32 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Dang, some ballers in here, paying $7k for a seat upgrade. And I thought I was starting to spend a little much at around $1600 (and counting) for a custom 991 steering wheel, with very specific trim, custom leather, stitching, etc... Love those carbon backed seats, but with a kid in college now, unfortunately I am already dropping too much coin into my Karting hobby (and associated items like Race suits, new helmet and custom paint, etc...) which doesn't leave much for the Pcar. Unfortunately, as much as I love my 911, for me, nothing compares to wheel to wheel racing in an open wheel racecraft, even if it is something as small as a Kart.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:25 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Rod,

If only it was $7K.....
Im in AU and the value here of the AU Peso - from PCA the seats are around $19K.

Makes a 2nd hand set or a set from Gert worthwhile.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:28 PM
navarrojiii
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did some reading up also. Seems like there's no reason to get new seats from Suncoast or used 997 GT2 seats when new 991 GT2 seats are cheaper than new 997 GT2 seats (either Suncoast or gert) and about the same price as used 997 GT2 seats

Still don't understand why they are so much cheaper. 2 cushion vs 3 cushion is pretty irrelevant.
Yeah I was looking at the Carnewal website and have no clue why the 997 version is so much less than the 991 version. They both fit in the 997 apparently. It can't just be the cushions right?

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Seats