Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foxwell NT520 Pro vs NT530

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 01:07 AM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Ordered the 530 directly from Foxwell yesterday.
The following users liked this post:
cavediver32043 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 07:46 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Some additional info on the Foxwell NT530: While the oil reset and fault scans are straightforward, subsystem programing is a kluge. For an idea of what's possible, use this link...

https://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesal...-software.html

...and scroll down to the (blue) Porsche hotlink which will open an excel spreadsheet with all the potential fcns accessible for each subsytem within each Porsche model. So, for example, here's the row that presumably would be relevant to turning off the seat-belt chime in a 996:

911(996) Instrument cluster Active test Belt Buzzer

Or it may be just the way you can turn on the "buzzer" to test that it's working. Can't say for sure b/c I have a 991 and there is no similar entry among the 496 (!) rows for that model.

Included with the NT530 amzn package is the contact info for the Foxwell US distributor under the heading "Extermely Important!!" I called this fella and I have to say that the info he provided was not extremely useful. Basically, you use the NT530 to drill down into each subsystem menu to find "special functions" under which you may have some subset of the items listed in the spreadsheet. Even if listed, an item may not be useful, eg, battery registration is listed as...

911(991) Gateway Special Functions Battery change

..for the 991. On checking I discovered that to use this feature you had to enter the Porsche part number for the new battery. Well, if I sprung for a Porsche battery, I'd probably be the sort of fella that had the dealer install and register it. No easy way to to register an after-market battery as far as I can tell.

So, my updated assessment of the NT530 is that it's quite good for resetting maintenance intervals (eg, oil light) and includes a comprehensive list of subsystems with associated fault codes which are sometimes explained, and can always be cleared. The "activation" of certain items (see "active test" in the spreadsheet) could prove valuable for trouble shooting, as could plotting system parameters. OTOH, programming features (eg, turn off chime, register battery, etc) within each subsystem is of questionable utility. The US distributor is not much help for programming; he advises emailing foxwell for more specific info.

Generally, these <$200 tools are made in China by folks who have hacked the CPUs in each model, and added some descriptive info to the basic data that they can access. It's a work in progress with each tool having it's own strengths and weaknesses. For example, the Carista dongle is very popular on audiworld, especially for programming, but only serves as a basic OBD2 reader for P-cars. The US distributor for Foxwell and iCarsoft claims that Foxwell makes the most comprehensive tools for Porsche but he lacks experience with tools that he doesn't handle.

Spyder

Last edited by TSpyder; 07-30-2020 at 07:52 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TSpyder:
ADias (07-31-2020), Joe911991 (06-21-2021), Nova997 (08-01-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 09:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TSpyder
So, my updated assessment of the NT530 is that it's quite good for resetting maintenance intervals (eg, oil light) and includes a comprehensive list of subsystems with associated fault codes which are sometimes explained, and can always be cleared. The "activation" of certain items (see "active test" in the spreadsheet) could prove valuable for trouble shooting, as could plotting system parameters. OTOH, programming features (eg, turn off chime, register battery, etc) within each subsystem is of questionable utility. The US distributor is not much help for programming; he advises emailing foxwell for more specific info. ...
Spyder
It seems that the app-controlled Autel Maxi AP200 OBD2 tool does that for $60. Probably a better tool for most people.

Appreciated your analysis!

Old 07-31-2020, 11:04 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
It seems that the app-controlled Autel Maxi AP200 OBD2 tool does that for $60. Probably a better tool for most people.

Appreciated your analysis!
Thx! I did look at the reviews for the Autel Maxi AP200 before deciding on the Foxwell. A disadvantage for the Autel is that additional vehicles cost something like ~$25 per year. I never verified this, but if true, I'd be paying about $75 a year for my 4 cars which is a deal-breaker for me. You also have to pay $60 per additional car with the Foxwell, but it's a one-time charge. Anyway, if you have experience with the Autel, I'd be interested in your opinion of its performance. Many folks will only use an OBD2 tool on a single vehicle so will not incur a yearly fee.

Spyder
Old 07-31-2020, 11:34 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Thx! I did look at the reviews for the Autel Maxi AP200 before deciding on the Foxwell. A disadvantage for the Autel is that additional vehicles cost something like ~$25 per year. I never verified this, but if true, I'd be paying about $75 a year for my 4 cars which is a deal-breaker for me. You also have to pay $60 per additional car with the Foxwell, but it's a one-time charge. Anyway, if you have experience with the Autel, I'd be interested in your opinion of its performance. Many folks will only use an OBD2 tool on a single vehicle so will not incur a yearly fee.

Spyder
Good question! I saw in-app purchases stated at US$15 and US$21.99 but do not know the exact amount. I emailed Autel to clarify their price structure and will report here when/if they reply. Another issue is one will need to pay in-line with a CC... To do so it should only be done with one of the new CC special numbers to isolate the vendor in case of fraud.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:57 PM
everybodywildou
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you recode rear control modules for 997.2 led tail lights with the nt530?
teddysam1 (04-22-2021)
Old 08-02-2020, 08:03 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by CharlesDesoto
Can you recode rear control modules for 997.2 led tail lights with the nt530?
The only way to know for sure is if someone with a 997.2, and an NT530, posts their experience. What I can say is that recoding is not the strong suit of the NT530.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:06 PM
everybodywildou
Instructor

The only way to know for sure is if someone with a 997.2, and an NT530, posts their experience. What I can say is that recoding is not the strong suit of the NT530.
Thats disappointing, but understandable. I hope someone has some insight on this.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:14 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Spyder
I contacted Autel re the different module fees and they confirmed that these are indeed annual fees. That makes the product far more expensive than it seems initially. In addition being an annual thing one is at the mercy of the manufacturer (in China) to deal with and deliver. This is a no for me.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:27 AM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 124 Posts

Bought the Foxwell NT530 from Amzn. Got Honda software with it. Installed their management software called FoxAssist. Then contacted Foxwell to get Mazda and Porsche. It has not been smooth to get the other makes installed, but they are very responsive via email (in their time zone) so it's all installed. There are a few things I discovered lost in translation.
  • The upgrades and registration of the scanner are all handled by their management app called FoxAssist. There is a different version of management software if you have an older scanner. It seems the 530 is of the newer generation that uses the new app and setup. You have to create an online account within the FoxAssist app. One of the things you will do is register the serial number of the scanner. This is how they authorize software upgrades. The app checks online for upgrades "assigned" to your serial number.
  • When you put the scanner itself into upgrade mode, all you are really doing is making the SD card readable by your PC when the USB is connected. It has all these scary warnings about not interrupting it, but its just presenting the SD card to the PC. You can do the same upgrades by removing the card from the scanner and using a USB SD card reader with FoxAssist.
  • My Honda software is installed but no longer shows up on my FoxAssist inventory. It shows Mazda and Porsche but not Honda even though it's there. They had to reset my units serial number in their system to get the last 2 makes to install and so probably erased my Honda from their online inventory. This may be an issue with future upgrades. I have emailed them.
  • When setting up your FoxAssist account, you have to use a password that doesn't contain special characters or it won't take. It doesn't actually say so, but it just won't allow you to login.
I will post more quirks if and when I discover them.
BL

Last edited by BucketList; 08-04-2020 at 03:30 AM. Reason: clarity
The following 3 users liked this post by BucketList:
Joe911991 (06-21-2021), maschinetheist (02-28-2021), Nova997 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:33 AM
everybodywildou
Instructor

Originally Posted by BucketList
Bought the Foxwell NT530 from Amzn. Got Honda software with it. Installed their management software called FoxAssist. Then contacted Foxwell to get Mazda and Porsche. It has not been smooth to get the other makes installed, but they are very responsive via email (in their time zone) so it's all installed. There are a few things I discovered lost in translation.
  • The upgrades and registration of the scanner are all handled by their management app called FoxAssist. There is a different version of management software if you have an older scanner. It seems the 530 is of the newer generation that uses the new app and setup. You have to create an online account within the FoxAssist app. One of the things you will do is register the serial number of the scanner. This is how they authorize software upgrades. The app checks online for upgrades "assigned" to your serial number.
  • When you put the scanner itself into upgrade mode, all you are really doing is making the SD card readable by your PC when the USB is connected. It has all these scary warnings about not interrupting it, but its just presenting the SD card to the PC. You can do the same upgrades by removing the card from the scanner and using a USB SD card reader with FoxAssist.
  • My Honda software is installed but no longer shows up on my FoxAssist inventory. It shows Mazda and Porsche but not Honda even though it's there. They had to reset my units serial number in their system to get the last 2 makes to install and so probably erased my Honda from their online inventory. This may be an issue with future upgrades. I have emailed them.
  • When setting up your FoxAssist account, you have to use a password that doesn't contain special characters or it won't take. It doesn't actually say so, but it just won't allow you to login.
I will post more quirks if and when I discover them.
BL
Well that stinks. I literally just placed the order as well today, too.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:55 AM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

OK they responded while I was posting. I have to say their customer service is really good. Yes, it has the usual chinese to english communication issues, but they are really on it via email which makes things really simple. They fixed my Honda download so I am all good now.

Quick Start - after you receive the scanner, download and install FoxAssist.
  • Create an account in FoxAssist
  • Reboot (maybe not necessary)
  • Plug in the scanner via USB
  • Put the scanner in upgrade mode
  • Launch FoxAssist and click the Activate Tab and enter the serial number and click Activate. - this should be successful registration of the serial number
  • Click the download tab - this should show the software packages, Even my unit pre-purchased with Honda did not actually have Honda installed I had to download and install it
  • Pick a package by clicking the radio button and click download - this will install it and show progress.
  • Once done it will show up on the list of installed makes.
  • If you want to purchase more makes, you have to email their support so they can add the purchase to your units serial number so FoxAssist has ability to download it.
  • Some makes are $80 (Honda, Mazda) and some are $60 (Porsche! - go figure) so pick one of the more expensive makes for your freebie (included) make.

Last edited by BucketList; 08-04-2020 at 03:58 AM. Reason: clarity
Joe911991 (06-21-2021)
Old 08-04-2020, 09:13 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Recruiter_Bruno
For Porsche you get all the models.
Can't comment on the other manufacturers.
Seems to be the case for all models. I also have the software for bmw and ferrari and it lists most models for each make. It's worth mentioning that just because it is listed doesn't mean it'll work on every module even if they're listed.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:33 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by BucketList
OK they responded while I was posting. I have to say their customer service is really good. Yes, it has the usual chinese to english communication issues, but they are really on it via email which makes things really simple. They fixed my Honda download so I am all good now.

Quick Start - after you receive the scanner, download and install FoxAssist.
  • Create an account in FoxAssist
  • Reboot (maybe not necessary)
  • Plug in the scanner via USB
  • Put the scanner in upgrade mode
  • Launch FoxAssist and click the Activate Tab and enter the serial number and click Activate. - this should be successful registration of the serial number
  • Click the download tab - this should show the software packages, Even my unit pre-purchased with Honda did not actually have Honda installed I had to download and install it
  • Pick a package by clicking the radio button and click download - this will install it and show progress.
  • Once done it will show up on the list of installed makes.
  • If you want to purchase more makes, you have to email their support so they can add the purchase to your units serial number so FoxAssist has ability to download it.
  • Some makes are $80 (Honda, Mazda) and some are $60 (Porsche! - go figure) so pick one of the more expensive makes for your freebie (included) make.
@BucketList , thanks for the write-ups.

Quick question: Can you do all of the downloading with a Mac or is it PC-only?

Thx!

Bob
Old 08-04-2020, 01:29 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

I don't see a MAC client for FoxAssist which is the app that does the downloading, so Windows only.
VT Blue (08-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Foxwell NT520 Pro vs NT530