Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOFTRONIC IS NOW ON RENNLIST

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 05:58 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Scott, Is it possible to bump the 997.2 idle 50 rpm or so to alleviate the slight resonance I get with the Sharkworks center muffler delete x-pipe (common with PDK)?
Old 02-14-2020, 08:56 PM
crazy997
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I am tempted to get this just so I can hear the snap crackles and pops coming out of the Fister's
Old 02-14-2020, 09:06 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 165 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by morefun
Scott, Is it possible to bump the 997.2 idle 50 rpm or so to alleviate the slight resonance I get with the Sharkworks center muffler delete x-pipe (common with PDK)?
Generally no as it will affect checking the oil and some other items. Why would you want it raised as it hasnt been asked or done for any of the DFI cars? The only time there has been idle issues that Im aware of are from some bolt ons that cause issues.

Best,
Scott
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:08 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by crazy997
I am tempted to get this just so I can hear the snap crackles and pops coming out of the Fister's
Just as a note I usually do this for the DFI cars .

Best,
Scott
Old 02-15-2020, 07:28 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic
Generally no as it will affect checking the oil and some other items. Why would you want it raised as it hasnt been asked or done for any of the DFI cars? The only time there has been idle issues that Im aware of are from some bolt ons that cause issues. Best, Scott
Thanks for the quick response, your answer makes sense (oil check, etc.)! I asked as I would like to eliminate the slight resonance at idle that was the result of the x-pipe install. That resonance goes away with an incremental rpm increase....
Old 02-15-2020, 07:49 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by morefun
Thanks for the quick response, your answer makes sense (oil check, etc.)! I asked as I would like to eliminate the slight resonance at idle that was the result of the x-pipe install. That resonance goes away with an incremental rpm increase....
Oh yes now I see that.... I read it and then was distracted and forgot you did say about the pipe.

Best,
Scott
Old 02-17-2020, 11:28 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Vendor discount is ending today and no exceptions and Thank You to all that placed orders.

Best,
Scott.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:39 PM
Dk27
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 997.1 w/ Burble Tune

I was lucky enough to get the discount on the softronic tune and very happy with the results. When I was contacted by Scott I asked if I could do a burble/pops&crackles tune on my port injected 997.1 C4. He said I would be the first, and the result was exactly what I was looking for. Below is a link to what I recorded with a gopro hanging off my rear window . Also note that I have the Soul Valved exhaust with the valves open. When the valves are closed the pops and bangs are more subtle. The clip is broken down into three parts, First just a slow cruise, Second part is hard acceleration, and the third is coasting/decel. I have been running the tune for about 125 miles over the last two days without issue. The sound brings a smile to my face every time. Scott was very responsive and I am glad I went ahead with this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12a-...ew?usp=sharing
The following 2 users liked this post by Dk27:
Jim Cobb (02-23-2020), martini_mike (03-12-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 07:22 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Dk27
I was lucky enough to get the discount on the softronic tune and very happy with the results. When I was contacted by Scott I asked if I could do a burble/pops&crackles tune on my port injected 997.1 C4. He said I would be the first, and the result was exactly what I was looking for. Below is a link to what I recorded with a gopro hanging off my rear window . Also note that I have the Soul Valved exhaust with the valves open. When the valves are closed the pops and bangs are more subtle. The clip is broken down into three parts, First just a slow cruise, Second part is hard acceleration, and the third is coasting/decel. I have been running the tune for about 125 miles over the last two days without issue. The sound brings a smile to my face every time. Scott was very responsive and I am glad I went ahead with this.

how does the power increase feel? tell us about the differences you notice. what did you feel right after install or did it take several miles before you noticed anything.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:48 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for the video. Sounds great.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:46 AM
Dk27
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
how does the power increase feel? tell us about the differences you notice. what did you feel right after install or did it take several miles before you noticed anything.
I was told that it takes about 30 miles for the DME to fully adapt as you are erasing the old data. With that said the butt dyno says it pulled a bit harder earlier on(~3K) and didn't fall off on the higher end (~6k+). It is subtle but there.

The process itself was very easy from start to finish and Scott was very responsive. The sound was what I was mostly after. I know it hadn't been done on these cars but i have see and heard a port injected M3 with a burble tune and was hoping for the same.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:59 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

It sounds great! Supposedly, the crackle pop feature means that they are injecting unburned fuel into exhaust, right?...so that means less fuel economy? Curious if you can see any measurable difference on the fuel economy over time, although who really cares with these cars, right? Lol.

I was told that it takes about 30 miles for the DME to fully adapt as you are erasing the old data. With that said the butt dyno says it pulled a bit harder earlier on(~3K) and didn't fall off on the higher end (~6k+). It is subtle but there.

The process itself was very easy from start to finish and Scott was very responsive. The sound was what I was mostly after. I know it hadn't been done on these cars but i have see and heard a port injected M3 with a burble tune and was hoping for the same.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:22 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
It sounds great! Supposedly, the crackle pop feature means that they are injecting unburned fuel into exhaust, right?...so that means less fuel economy? Curious if you can see any measurable difference on the fuel economy over time, although who really cares with these cars, right? Lol.
The answer without getting into what is done is ....No on the fuel.

Best,
Scott
Old 02-24-2020, 04:13 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic
The answer without getting into what is done is ....No on the fuel.

Best,
Scott
Ok, thanks for the info!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:58 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

So I have been interested in ECU Tuning for my cars for quite a while. I did several dyno tuning sessions on my Boxster 3.4 project when I did the engine conversion many years ago. I know the benefits of a proper tuning and adjusting air fuel ratios from rich to lean. I have an air fuel ratio gauge in my Boxster and also have a hand held computer/ MAF air signal controller I can adjust air fuel ratios from the drivers seat.
I have usually been on the optimistic side of bolt-ons and tuning, but like most of us, am always a bit skeptical. My first concern with any modification is that no harm is done, but that only an improvement is made, even if it seems small.

So, with that said, I decided to take advantage of the 20% discount offered a couple weeks ago. I Thought it was a fair price and I actually bit the bullet for Softronic tuning for 2 cars. My 987.1 Cayman S and 997.1 Carrera 4S.

It's taken me some time to put miles on each car. I have used about 1/2 a tank on each car or about 100-150 miles in each so far. This is my review of the Softronic tune and process so far:

First off, Thank you Scott for taking the time to answer all my questions and even have a lengthy phone conversation about maf housing diameters, plenums, exhausts, and air fuel ratios. I learned a lot from our discussions. So Scott is VERY knowledgeable about all things "Porsche tuning". This put my mind at ease and discussing specifics about how the Softronic tune works also helped me feel more at ease and that no harm would be done and performance would improve.

After payment was made it took a few days to receive the softronic obd dongle and usb chord in the mail. Scott emailed me instructions on which specific ecu/dme format to choose and steps to take. I also received an email with a download link to the Softronic Program to install on your windows laptop computer and a couple of video files showing the process to read the dme file from your car and then also a video on how to program the tuned file back to your dme. I must admit, I was nervous about doing this process because in a way it is not reversible and if something went wrong it could corrupt your dme.

So I started on the Cayman first and then repeated the process on the Carrera 4S. I downloaded the program, installed it on my windows laptop and watched the how to videos several times. It is a fairly easy process and you feel confident after the first run. I made sure to be safe and plugged a battery charger onto the car and the laptop in to a power source. Then I plugged in the softronic obd dongle via usb cable into my laptop and the dongle has a light so that you know it is powered and plugged in. Place your laptop on the ground or steady surface so that usb cable has no chance of being pulled out by accident during the reading process.

When ready to download/read the dme you plug the softronic obd dongle into your cars obd port and turn the car key to power on the vehicle, but without starting the engine. With the car switched on you can now open/start the Softronic laptop software. I just followed the steps that I watched on the provided videos.

Scott emails you which dme type file to select before the reading/programming process. Hit the "READ ECU MEMORY" and save the file to your desktop. The reading Process takes about 3 minutes and your car radiator fans will turn on full blast. Once ecu is read and file saved you can close the program and shut off the car. Send the original file in to Softronic and wait a few days to get a "TUNED" file back.

In a few days Scott will email you a few more specific instructions with the Tuned file. Follow safety measures as before and the same process for the program, but this time select "PROGRAM ECU MEMORY" and select the "TUNED" file when prompted. The programming will take 5-6 minutes and an extra step at the end to turn the key to car to the off position and wait to be prompted that process is complete. I sat next to the computer during the programming process to make sure nothing strange happened or computer shut down, move the mouse around to keep screen on and out of sleep mode. It's a nice relief when everything reads and programs without a hitch. I did this process to both cars and had absolutely no issues.

So here are my thoughts after driving the cars with the new ecu tune. I must admit that in CA we only have 91 Octane fuel. Scott recommended adding 104+ Octane booster for some added benefit, but not totally necessary. I added the 104+ Octane Booster to a full tank of fuel on both cars. So a 20 HP power increase is what is advertised for the Cayman S and a 24 HP increase is advertised for the Carrera 4S. These are basically about 7% increases in power. These are not night and day power increases for vehicles already running 300+ HP. (For night and day power increases you would need 50-60 HP) With that said, it is recommended to put about 30-50 miles on the car for the the ecu to rewrite some fuel maps because the previous memory was erased. I went through several scenarios of highway driving and also full throttle pulls to redline through each gear. I did this in each car several times over a few days.

Over all.... I am impressed. No harm was done and performance has increased. The power at first feels subtle, but as you put the miles on and the ecu adjusts you start to find yourself in familiar situations on the road, but this time the car feels like it pulls much stronger. It's not an OMG difference, but more of a smile and a nod and "Hey, that feels pretty good and definitely pulls harder to redline". The more miles I put on the more I feel it's making the right adjustments and the more I want to run to redline to feel the difference. It's hard to really know what a 7% difference will feel like, but I can say that the difference is noticeable. The cars just feel like they are running stronger and more eager to pull through the mid range than before, but the biggest difference felt is from 4500-7000 rpm. It just feels like it is pulling with more urgency. There is also less of a "flat spot to power surge" feel when the car comes on cam at 5000 rpm. The car feels like it's making more power before the cams hit so there is less of that flat spot on/off power surge.

You have to remember our naturally aspirated power curves take time to build and our cars make the most power above 5000 rpm. That is when the ecu tune makes the biggest difference too. It starts to improve around 3000 rpm, but really makes the most difference from 4000-7000 rpm.
Would I do this again? ... Yes... I think I would. I am happy with the modest increase in power and extra pull to redline. I like to tinker with safe/conservative mods. I feel Softronic has a good and safe product and it made a nice difference. After having my cars for many years and wanting a little more excitement, I think this did the job. I was always excited to drive my cars, but now I feel a bit more excited to explore the new power differences. Thanks Scott.

ps... This program should, technically, improve gas mileage because it's not running as rich as before the tune.... BUT, with any new mod you can expect to be pedal to the metal more often too... so to hell with gas mileage

Last edited by qikqbn; 03-02-2020 at 06:02 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by qikqbn:
GT3FZS (04-06-2020), Jim Cobb (03-01-2020), mertztr (03-02-2020), Softronic (03-01-2020), stantaur (10-24-2021), V124ZA (11-11-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: SOFTRONIC IS NOW ON RENNLIST