Sponsored by:

2008 997 Smokin huge

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yelcab
I don't believe those compression and leak down numbers. 300psi compression? Where do you get those numbers? That seems awfully high. And leak down test without telling you where the leak is going? That's half the value of the test. And if you have that much leak down, 40% or more, you are not getting 250 psi compression.
I agree. I don't know how you get that much pressure with a leak like that. Champion Porsche, huge dealer did the comp and leakdown test. I'd hope they could do that but it still doesn't make sense. The 300PSI number is what they said they look for as a target but that seems very high. The part in my OP is a paste from their invoice notes.

Definitely burning oil. Not water and too much to be a valve seal.

It's got to be something like the air/oil separator.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:08 AM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
I agree. I don't know how you get that much pressure with a leak like that. Champion Porsche, huge dealer did the comp and leakdown test. I'd hope they could do that but it still doesn't make sense. The 300PSI number is what they said they look for as a target but that seems very high. The part in my OP is a paste from their invoice notes.

Definitely burning oil. Not water and too much to be a valve seal.

It's got to be something like the air/oil separator.
Compression math is ratio x atmospheric pressure. 9A1 is 12:1 so 12x14.7 (sea level) = 174psi. Less with elevation. Don’t know where they get 300.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:16 AM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

Bad valve seals will yield smoke too.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:03 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Compression testing is a peak value. You can have worn rings and still show decent compression on the gauge.

A leakdown test can be more useful--especially if the leak is big, as these test results imply. With readings in the 30-40% range, the tech should have been able to hear air escaping into the intake (intake valves), the exhaust (exhaust valves), sump or oil tank (rings) or bubbling into the coolant (head gasket, cracked head). In the latter case, the compression test would probably have indicated which cylinders were suspect.

It seems to me that the tests (or the information about them that the OP is receiving) were not complete. The tech should be able to use those tests to do a much better diagnosis. I think if you want to help this lady, you need better information.

Not to mention the fact that a leakdown of 30-40% on any smallblock Ford I ever worked on would make me wonder if I had a hole in a piston. That's almost a catastrophic value. I imagine it's a terrible value on a P-car as well.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:50 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,466 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Originally Posted by BucketList
Compression math is ratio x atmospheric pressure. 9A1 is 12:1 so 12x14.7 (sea level) = 174psi. Less with elevation. Don’t know where they get 300.
Wish I knew you during my Physics exam back in College

Quick Reply: 2008 997 Smokin huge