Received 191 Likes on 124 Posts

For the win!
The following users liked this post:
Cmcdaniel993 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 06:48 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can the iCarsoft Por II reset throttle and transmission adaptations? I have contacted them and they could not answer my question.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:14 PM
Cmcdaniel993
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Final update to say that the new coils took care of the problems. I have had the car back from the shop for a week now and added 300 miles, trying to make up for lost driving time this spring.
I also added a 6 year Fidelity Gold warranty to the car to reduce my blood pressure going forward. Thanks for all of the feedback that helped me get through this!
Chris
Old 05-08-2020, 01:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmcdaniel993
Final update to say that the new coils took care of the problems. I have had the car back from the shop for a week now and added 300 miles, trying to make up for lost driving time this spring.
I also added a 6 year Fidelity Gold warranty to the car to reduce my blood pressure going forward. Thanks for all of the feedback that helped me get through this!
Chris
Great news. I take it the Fidelity Gold plan covers the PDK. Not familiar with that plan. Only had the platinum plan with Fidelity.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:42 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 318 Posts

I also added a 6 year Fidelity Gold warranty to the car to reduce my blood pressure going forward.
Originally Posted by sandwedge
I take it the Fidelity Gold plan covers the PDK. Not familiar with that plan.
The Fidelity Powertrain warranty is an inclusionary policy. I'm by no means an expert on this, but there might be coverage issues when it comes to a failure with the PDK electronics/sensors: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16454196

The Fidelity Gold warranty also seems to be the inclusionary kind, and it only adds the following on top of the Fidelity Powertrain Warranty when it comes to the Transmission.
  • Oil pan; detent cable; kickdown link; throttle cable; vacuum modulator; transmission mounts.

No electronics/sensors were added to the Gold coverage list

I recommend reading the fine print very carefully.

Karl.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
The Fidelity Powertrain warranty is an inclusionary policy. I'm by no means an expert on this, but there might be coverage issues when it comes to a failure with the PDK electronics/sensors: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16454196

The Fidelity Gold warranty also seems to be the inclusionary kind, and it only adds the following on top of the Fidelity Powertrain Warranty when it comes to the Transmission.
  • Oil pan; detent cable; kickdown link; throttle cable; vacuum modulator; transmission mounts.

No electronics/sensors were added to the Gold coverage list

I recommend reading the fine print very carefully.
Karl.

Great advice. Inclusionary plans give the warranty company a lot of options to deny coverage since each and every part that's covered is mentioned. So in this case, if a certain electronic part is what made the PDK fail isn't mentioned, coverage will probably be denied. Given that most if not almost all PDK failures seem to be electronically related, one would have to ask how many electronically related components there are in a PDK and how many of those are specified in the items covered by the inclusionary coverage?

That's why whenever I bought an extended warranty it was always an exclusionary one. The list of items not covered is fairly short and is also short on specifics making it much harder for them to wiggle their way out of covering whatever fails. Just looked at my Fidelity Platinum policy. Most if not all of the exclusions are in reference to damage due to theft, lack of required and timely maintenance, track use and things along those lines. I didn't see any specific parts not covered except for normal wear and tear items such as brakes, tires, etc. No mention of specific transmission parts for example.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had this error come in about 5 times in 8,000 miles / 1.5 years of ownership, it's always random timing and I can never get any error codes. Maybe I will try again. I just got the emergency warning today when I turned the car on, it had been sitting in the parking lot for 4 hours and said the transmission was too hot

I figure it's gotta be that temperature sensor problem that there is a bulletin for, but I don't know if there is any reason to have the dealer repair per the bulletin as a preventative measure?
Old 05-09-2020, 01:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
I've had this error come in about 5 times in 8,000 miles / 1.5 years of ownership, it's always random timing and I can never get any error codes. Maybe I will try again. I just got the emergency warning today when I turned the car on, it had been sitting in the parking lot for 4 hours and said the transmission was too hot

I figure it's gotta be that temperature sensor problem that there is a bulletin for, but I don't know if there is any reason to have the dealer repair per the bulletin as a preventative measure?
Is the dealer allowed to do it though? The list of items they're allowed to touch on the PDK is pretty short I've been told by my service advisor. Hence the full replacement being more common with any issues than what would seem reasonable.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:02 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
Originally Posted by sandwedge
Is the dealer allowed to do it though?. The list of items they're allowed to touch on the PDK is pretty short
For that one, yes.

Here’s the repair procedure: https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...by-porsche.pdf

Karl.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:08 PM
Cmcdaniel993
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the discussion. Its a good point, and while I do sleep better at night knowing that I am limiting some of my exposure, I know I am not free from liability.
I understand that I am at a disadvantage here when attempting to predict what an insurer will deem in my favor, but when I read the Powertrain Coverage plan it states...

TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/TRANSFER CASE:
All internally lubricated parts contained within the transmission, transaxle and transfer case, plus the following: all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; shift cover and forks; bell housing, components within the bell housing; torqueconverter; external valve bodies, control units and solenoids; seals and gaskets

A glass half-full guy might read 'control units', or 'components within the bell housing' and think that a temperature sensor might be included here? Maybe these mean something very specific and more limiting in scope to someone more knowledgeable than me? I'm learning more about the PDK each day, but couldn't begin to tell you where these sensors are physically located.

Chris

Old 05-12-2020, 02:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the discussion. Its a good point, and while I do sleep better at night knowing that I am limiting some of my exposure, I know I am not free from liability.
I understand that I am at a disadvantage here when attempting to predict what an insurer will deem in my favor, but when I read the Powertrain Coverage plan it states...

TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/TRANSFER CASE:
All internally lubricated parts contained within the transmission, transaxle and transfer case, plus the following: all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; shift cover and forks; bell housing, components within the bell housing; torqueconverter; external valve bodies, control units and solenoids; seals and gaskets

A glass half-full guy might read 'control units', or 'components within the bell housing' and think that a temperature sensor might be included here? Maybe these mean something very specific and more limiting in scope to someone more knowledgeable than me? I'm learning more about the PDK each day, but couldn't begin to tell you where these sensors are physically located.

Chris
Tough call. The PDK is full of electronic components which are usually the cause of PDK failures (referring back to post # 21 https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16609207). I guess the big question here is what's included in "control units"? A reasonable warranty adjuster would include every unit/part required to keep the transmission operating normally while an unreasonable adjuster could possibly point to the fact that the failed unit isn't specifically mention as a covered item.

No mention of specific electronic parts in the powertrain policy that I pick up on. With some luck, some are located within the bell housing (seems unlikely) which would then be covered as I read your summary of the policy but what about the rest?

Quick Reply: Emergency Transmission Run Error