Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tracker Review ---> Product Offered By RL Sponsor Anti-Gravity Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 07:14 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,451 Likes on 2,715 Posts
Default Battery Tracker Review ---> Product Offered By RL Sponsor Anti-Gravity Batteries

All,

Received my Bluetooth Battery Tracker offered for sale ($35.95) by Developer/RL Member "Anti-Gravity Batteries" last week.
As a person who uses his car on rare occasion (1-3x) per month to dinner or joyrides, this product is a great tool.
Received it in record 2 day time via Fedex. I downloaded the APP on my Iphone the day I ordered so I'd be all ready to go.

Easy to mount and photo of tracker on battery is temporary placement - I have since mounted it on side of battery using enclosed Velcro pad that is included.

My car has been sitting in my garage since March 20th which is the last time I took it out for a joyride.

As soon as I attached the Battery Tracker to my battery very simply by securing the NEG and POS ends of Tracker leads to respective battery terminals, I turned on the Bluetooth APP and bingo there it was.
A very accurate readout of my batteries current voltage.
I compared the reading to my 12v voltage reader and they were within 1/100th of one another - Tester read 12.08V and Tracker reads 12.07V
I couldn't be more pleased and how cool to just check on my phone to see how battery is do
**This Product get a AAA+++ groovzilla Rating!

Last edited by groovzilla; 04-21-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:27 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Does it only drain when you do a reading?
Old 04-21-2020, 10:34 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla

12.07V is low... and that bluetooth transmitter voltmeter adds to the battery draining... A simple cigarette lighter plug voltmeter provides the same information and is not a constant drain.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:43 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
12.07V is low... and that bluetooth transmitter voltmeter adds to the battery draining... A simple cigarette lighter plug voltmeter provides the same information and is not a constant drain.
My car has sat for a month so battery was low - Started right up at that 12.07V mark
Old 04-21-2020, 10:44 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Does it only drain when you do a reading?
Good question for the developer
Old 04-22-2020, 12:17 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Good question for the developer
The answer is obvious. The unit is constantly listening to a BT query, it is not off; if it was off it would not reply. It does have a standby draining current. It would be good to learn what that standby current is.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:24 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

First , thanks to the reviewer Groovzilla, appreciate the shout out.

Now Adias.... I can understand you have "opinions and assumptions" but I will have to say you are quite incorrect about our product and I don't think you even made any effort to understand it before making your comments, which is unfortunate. So I'll take some time to clarify.

As far as a Cig lighter Voltmeter providing the same information, or being even remotely comprable to the Antigravity Batteries Battery Tracker... they are not in the same ball park.

1- The Antigravity Battery Tracker shows the real time voltage on your phone from up to 30ft away, so even if you walk by your garage you can see the Voltage and State of Charge of your battery without having to look at the car or be near it.. The accurate real time voltage its tranmitted to your phone as is the prior 31 days of voltage history.. A Cig Lighter Voltmeter can't do that, you have to go into the car and look at it.

2- The Battery Tracker Shows you your voltage for each day as a Graph you can look at on your phone... and it does it for the previous 31 days of data. So this means you can store your car, for a few days or a week you can accurately see in a graphical format how many volts the car is using each day, and if it has a fast or slow parasitic drain. You can use that data understand you cars battery discharge behavior and know how many days you can go without needing to be on a charger. A voltmeter in your Cig Lighter isn't going to do that at all.

3- This voltage graph I'm speaking of above also lets you see you exact charging profile of your car to help you diagnose if you getting a full charge on the battery, if you alternator is going bad, or if you are getting over charge voltage. You can also see the exact voltage for every day all day... so you can see whenever you drove the car in the prior 31 days because it will show the voltage rise and show you exactly how long you drove for. So in theory you can even see if anyone was driving your car, when you were out of town. You could also see if a dealership was driving you car around and if they actually even did the test drive they said they did. Can a Cig Voltmeter do that? Nope.

4- The Antigravity Battery Tracker also has a Starting Test feature that shows how low your voltage drops when you are starting the car. For example if you see it dropping to 8v when starting then you know your battery is not in very good shape because it should be staying above 9.5v in a start attempt for a healty battery. It also has and Alternator Test feature that will make sure you have voltage and current coming to the battery at different RPMS to show you battery is charging correctly. Again not the same as a Cig Lighter voltmeter.

5- The battery tracker will send ALERTS to you phone if the battery is getting LOW. So you can take action before getting a dead battery.... again a voltmeter in your cig lighter is not even in the same universe.

6- As far as claiming the Battery Tracker drains batteries... again you are incorrect. The battery tracker draws 1 milliamp... and will not remotely drain a battery any faster than it would normally it is basically no additional charge on the battery overall. It is intentionally designed for the lowest voltage drain possible which is NOT the case for the lighted voltage meter which are cheaply made products that have a lighted screen that actually never goes out and draws MORE than the Battery Tracker, that a fact.

Anyway just wanted to clarify this is not you Grandfathers Voltmeter. It a great product that provides excellent data/information to those who are interested in this type of stuff, and don't want to come back to a dead car because of the battery.... and judging by the number of Dead Batteries posts on Rennlist most Porsche owners might benefit from one.

The following 3 users liked this post by Antigravity:
DesmoSD (10-27-2020), fayraree (03-12-2021), Viper pilot (10-27-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 01:49 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The answer is obvious. The unit is constantly listening to a BT query, it is not off; if it was off it would not reply. It does have a standby draining current. It would be good to learn what that standby current is.
Its a1 milliamp draw.. and though it can get to higher when in active use, it is NOT searching for a BT connection constantly as you imply. It WILL NOT effect the parasitic draw on your battery in any way that is significant enough to alter your discharge profile on a 70 Amp hour battery. In fact I have one on my 24Ah Battery in my GT3 and I am at 6 weeks and still seeing 13.1v on the battery. A 24Ah lithium Battery is 1/3 the Amp Hours a 70Ah Lead... and if the Battery Tracker had any significant draw would have changed my static test dramatically on a 24Ah battery and there is no way I would get 6 weeks from 24Ah.

You are offering incorrect information that is opinion based ADias. Its frustrating because you are berating a product that kicks-butt and most every one who gets one and sees what is does is excited and pleased. Yet you have not tried one, you have no conclusive data to support your claims yet are claiming incorrect information. So why don't you try one? Then come on here and blast it AFTER you have tested it. I'll pay shipping back and give a full refund if you not satisfied or you show it discharged your battery in any way, or if you just want to test it to get an opinion. Just have the facts first before naysaying a product. I'll put my money where my mouth is all day and night with this product and anything we produce.

So try it then come back and review it, then return it and I'll pay all shipping. No skin off your back and you can prove me wrong.

The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
DesmoSD (10-27-2020), fayraree (03-12-2021)
Old 04-22-2020, 02:24 AM
Gene_GaTech
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey antigravity person,

Great info.

No reason to be aggressive in your replies - just clarify and thank people for the interest.

Thanks for bringing a cool product to the market.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gene_GaTech:
BruceWarne (10-28-2020), Kechu (02-11-2021)
Old 04-22-2020, 08:47 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm struggling to understand the usefulness of this device. If I plug in my battery maintainer in the cigarette lighter socket then I don't have a need to check anything... I would also posit it's better for the battery longevity (with the exception of marine deep cycle batteries) to maintain a charge and not allow it to drain...

Open to missing something here....

Matt
Old 04-22-2020, 08:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,188 Likes on 3,945 Posts

How many of these can you monitor through the app? Can you give each signal from each car it's own nickname, say if you want one in each of your cars and have 7 or 8 cars?

Any plans to tie it into wifi where you can put it on a network where the car lives at night and battery voltage could be checked remotely, or is it and will it remain Bluetooth only. Use case for this could be a kid in college for example where you want a heads up from the alert that their battery is low or going bad before they get stranded somewhere with a car that won't start.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:35 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
I'm struggling to understand the usefulness of this device. If I plug in my battery maintainer in the cigarette lighter socket then I don't have a need to check anything... I would also posit it's better for the battery longevity (with the exception of marine deep cycle batteries) to maintain a charge and not allow it to drain...

Open to missing something here....

Matt
Hi Matt, a couple ways this might be useful is if someone wants to track how much or how fast of a parasitic draw they might have, maybe a new accessory has been added recently and you want to see if it's creating a draw, in addition, maybe they are tracking the car and want to see how the output of the charging profile is working? The app stores the data for 30 days so it's really convenient to see this data via the grid display for each each day. Lastly, and of course one never hopes this happens, but what if the charger stops working or loses power while the car is sitting in the garage and the owner is unaware? Just a few examples of where this could be a handy tool.

Originally Posted by Petza914
How many of these can you monitor through the app? Can you give each signal from each car it's own nickname, say if you want one in each of your cars and have 7 or 8 cars?

Any plans to tie it into wifi where you can put it on a network where the car lives at night and battery voltage could be checked remotely, or is it and will it remain Bluetooth only. Use case for this could be a kid in college for example where you want a heads up from the alert that their battery is low or going bad before they get stranded somewhere with a car that won't start.
HI Petza, The tracker app can do up to 5 vehicles and yes, you can go right into the settings on the App and rename each device accordingly for each vehicle. The device is only Bluetooth, wifi may be something for down the road, but would likely entail creating a higher draw due to that kind of connectivity and having that ability would possibly increase cost as well, so for this we wanted something simple, easy to use and affordable.For the college kid, they would just need to download the app as well, the notification can be set for multiple options so anytime they get within 30 ft of the car they'll be in the know.

As always, feel free to reach out to us with any questions
Best regards,
-Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 04-22-2020, 01:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Now Adias.... The battery tracker draws 1 milliamp... .
If the standby current drain is 1mA fine, no issue. As far as the other features, more power to those who benefit from them!
Old 04-22-2020, 02:00 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I'd like to also add that I have been able to Track my Batteries Voltage from over 100' away. (No trees/structures or interference of any kind between the garage and house)
My Porsche is garaged and garage is 100' from my house/Master Bedroom where I have been frequently checking the battery. --->Wife getting upset, sorry dear, nice heels & Lingerie but I'm busy

I love this devise. One of my favorite features is it lets me know how long to charge my Battery - I gave my Battery a full charge yesterday and the graph showing the slow buildup of Volts to full charge is cool to see and helpful info.
I'm all about critiquing when necessary but hard to beat this ingenious devise.
Wish they sold them by the LBS

Old 04-22-2020, 03:01 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

I installed mine in the Cayenne today. I like it. Actually, the Cayenne is just outside the wall at my office and I am connected to it now. It show 12.31V but says "18%". Not sure what that means. That battery dies in a week if it's not driven. That's why I got this thing.

Quick Reply: Battery Tracker Review ---> Product Offered By RL Sponsor Anti-Gravity Batteries