Sponsored by:

brake pad sensor tie off

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 02:15 PM
sfelker
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pad sensor tie off

Can you tie off the brake sensors, Tie the 2 wires to gather on each wheel and by the sensors, without causing a brake light error.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:23 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by sfelker
Can you tie off the brake sensors, Tie the 2 wires to gather on each wheel and by the sensors, without causing a brake light error.
Yes you can. I took them out, cut them short, soldered the wires together and put them back in, no error. It's a simple resistance measurement that triggers an error when the resistance is too high and the sensor bit is deemed to be worn off.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:33 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 292 Likes on 173 Posts

Did the same. Took off, cut, solder plus heat shrink for a slightly more professional look.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:33 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If the sensors are still functional, there is no need to cut and resolder wires. I know most would want to do this so they don't have to replace sensors that were worn through but I did mine proactively. You don't want the sensors in for track days. Some track pads don't even accept the sensors.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:46 PM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ttreat
If the sensors are still functional, there is no need to cut and resolder wires. I know most would want to do this so they don't have to replace sensors that were worn through but I did mine proactively. You don't want the sensors in for track days. Some track pads don't even accept the sensors.
Agree. When I changed to Ferodo 2500s there was no slot for the sensors so just bundled them up, covered in black tape, and used monel wire to secure to the control arms. No warning lights and can still use them again if I (or the future owner) want to go back to Textars.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 380 Posts

I left mine off. No light.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:40 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieVan
Agree. When I changed to Ferodo 2500s there was no slot for the sensors so just bundled them up, covered in black tape, and used monel wire to secure to the control arms. No warning lights and can still use them again if I (or the future owner) want to go back to Textars.
I had the same motivation but I don't like the loose wires flopping around in the braking area. So I cut and soldered them and bought a fresh new set for all 4 wheels as reserve, should I ever want to sell the car. The sensors are really cheap, a lot cheaper than they were for my M3.

Quick Reply: brake pad sensor tie off