Sponsored by:

Help Needed for Headlamp Adjustment Fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 09:18 AM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help Needed for Headlamp Adjustment Fault

My car has had a headlamp adjustment fault since I got it. This warning comes up about 30 seconds after the car is started even if the lights are turned on at startup. It is a "09 C2S with the Dynamic Cornering Light Option. Due to front end damage prior to my purchase, I am pretty sure both headlamps were replaced. Through other threads I found information to check the brackets on the front and rear suspension and do the auto calibration with the light switch and key off. So my brackets are in okay and the headlights auto level but I still get the fault. Is there something else I should check? Is it possible that the the bi-xenon lights were replaced with lights that don't have the Dynamic Cornering option? How do I really check the Dynamic Cornering capability of the lights? Are there other other things that I should check? I know there are possible module issues but I would think that the auto leveling function would not work if there were a module issue.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:24 AM
CHICKENHAWK
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You might be able to disable the function with a Durametric, especially if non-cornering lights were installed.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:11 AM
ttreat
Racer

I still am confused as to whether or not the Dynamic Cornering Lights (603) were an optional if you have the Bi-Xenon lights. The PET doesn't seem to show this as an option in the assembly. I also wonder if a failure in the Dynamic Cornering Lights control unit would even give you a Headlamp adjustment failure fault. I also took a video of the lights while recalibrating them and I'm pretty convinced that they do move up and down and side to side during the recalibration. So whether or not the 603 is an option with teh Bi-Xenon lights probably doesn't matter to my problem.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:24 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Have you verified that the linkage on the leveling module on the front suspension is turned the right way? This is a shot in the dark but it is possible install it so the 2 links bend the wrong direction. It can be installed either way but only works when the arms can move through their full travel. A body shop could easily install it incorrectly and not realize it.

If it is installed with the pivot in the wrong orientation, you will get the exact symptoms you are describing.

HTH, James.

Last edited by Iceter; 07-15-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:39 AM
ttreat
Racer

Here is a picture of both sensors. Do they look correct?

Front Sensor

Rear Sensor
Old 07-15-2020, 11:40 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by ttreat
I still am confused as to whether or not the Dynamic Cornering Lights (603) were an optional if you have the Bi-Xenon lights. The PET doesn't seem to show this as an option in the assembly. I also wonder if a failure in the Dynamic Cornering Lights control unit would even give you a Headlamp adjustment failure fault. I also took a video of the lights while recalibrating them and I'm pretty convinced that they do move up and down and side to side during the recalibration. So whether or not the 603 is an option with teh Bi-Xenon lights probably doesn't matter to my problem.
Yes, Dynamic Corning Lights were an extra cost option on my car - and the car did come standard with Bi-Xenon lights. ('09 C2S) - per the original Monroney label. (The DCL option was $690.)

Old 07-15-2020, 07:06 PM
ttreat
Racer

I just got a Foxwell NT530 and was able to see through the live data that the left motor position was not changing as I drove. I then was able to find a fault code on the module (8040) which noted "No Signal/Communication- DTC-LN Bus stepper motor, HBA left".

Does this mean the module is bad? The headlights definitely move in and back during the calibration.

Last edited by ttreat; 07-15-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Help Needed for Headlamp Adjustment Fault