Sponsored by:

PDK - gears not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 02:16 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
The problem is the pdk is way past due on service. Needs to be serviced every 6 years regardless of miles.

You are now at 11 years, almost double the service interval. Unfortunately, many are not doing their pdk service at 6 years regardless of miles as many are doing service stuff themselves or using Indies, many of which do not do pdk services.
Good info. The first PDK service is always referred to as "the 60,000 mile service". At least that's what I've read. Can't recall ever seeing the 6 year regardless of miles thing but I take your word for it. Worth mentioning is that the failure on my -09 C4S happened at just over 40K miles on a 5 year old car.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Good info. The first PDK service is always referred to as "the 60,000 mile service". At least that's what I've read. Can't recall ever seeing the 6 year regardless of miles thing but I take your word for it. Worth mentioning is that the failure on my -09 C4S happened at just over 40K miles on a 5 year old car.
Check out owner's manual. Been discussed on here a lot.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-6-years.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...k-service.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ndy-shops.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ange-cost.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...service-2.html

Additional Maintenance Every 60,000 Miles / 90,000 KM Or 6 Years

• Change manual transmission oil
  • Change PDK transmission oil
  • PDK Change clutch oil
https://www.rusnakwestlakeporsche.com/997-intermediate/
Old 09-16-2020, 09:15 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

I don't own a pdk car yet, but will... I think the smart thing to do is to over service the oil. Change it out like the manual oil at 30k miles. Plus with the work PV997 is doing on finding the modules, I wouldn't fear the pdk.. but I work on my own cars. If you're needing a shop to do it, the extended warranty is the best option.

Cw
The following users liked this post:
David350 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:38 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
I don't own a pdk car yet, but will... I think the smart thing to do is to over service the oil. Change it out like the manual oil at 30k miles. Plus with the work PV997 is doing on finding the modules, I wouldn't fear the pdk.. but I work on my own cars. If you're needing a shop to do it, the extended warranty is the best option.

Cw
I had a shop change the PDK oil at 60 and 120 thousand miles. The pan (filter) was changed both times. Both times the oil and filter were pristine.

I fully understand proactive maintenance but with the 991 oil change interval being increased to 120K miles I'm not seeing a reason to go earlier than 60K with the 997 PDK.

Electrical connections seem to be the Achilles heel of the PDK. And those seem to be refreshingly rare considering the total PDK miles driven.
Kpadas (09-19-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 09:58 PM
David350
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

you know what, I was holding out for a manual but I settled for PDK because it had sport+. All I can say is I am thoroughly impressed by it. All things equal car would smoke a geezer in a manual
Old 09-16-2020, 10:02 PM
David350
Intermediate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by PV997
David - Please get a code readout using a Durametric, PIWIS 2, or similar scan tool as there will be one stored from the service message (code should start with a "P"). It could be something as simple as a sensor malfunction at the gear shifter which is easy to access and relatively inexpensive to fix. It could also be a glitch in the CAN bus communication between the units. Last off (and hopefully not) it could be an intermittent fault with one of the sensors inside the PDK. These are rare and the PDK is very reliable, but they do happen.

Post the code once you get it as I've got all the factory diagnostic and t-shooting guides. Thanks for the kind comments on my PDK post, we are learning more and more about the PDK everyday and have a few success stories already with folks doing DIY repairs.
no codes stored!
Old 09-16-2020, 11:46 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by David350
no codes stored!
Thanks for posting. I reread your post and realized the dashboard message was just a standard service message (coincidence I guess?) and not a fault message. Sorry for the mix-up.

Not sure what to make of it other than maybe there was a communication glitch. The gearshift control, transmission control unit (TCU), and ECU all talk to each other over the CAN bus and maybe there was some sort of comm error. The sensors and solenoids within the PDK are not on the CAN bus but use simple analog or PWM signaling to the TCU. If those sensors went out of range (e.g. open of short circuit) then there would definitely be a fault stored as the TCU implements a deliberate procedure to lock out gears and disable functions in response to it (and throws very specific codes).

If I had to guess it would be that the gearshift selector had a comm issue with the TCU. So the TCU didn't think anything was wrong, just that it was getting the neutral signal from the gearshift so it left it in neutral. No codes were stored as the TCU didn't realize it was being commanded to change gears. Just a hypothesis but it seems to fit the symptoms. What I don't understand is why the dashboard indicator would change as that would come across the CAN bus also.

BTW, there is no fluid level sensor in the PDK, just temp and fluid pressure. If the fluid was low enough from the incline I suppose pressure could have been tripped but it should have stored a fault. Don't think it's likely though. Please post if it happens again. How's your battery condition?
Old 09-16-2020, 11:58 PM
David350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PV997
Thanks for posting. I reread your post and realized the dashboard message was just a standard service message (coincidence I guess?) and not a fault message. Sorry for the mix-up.

Not sure what to make of it other than maybe there was a communication glitch. The gearshift control, transmission control unit (TCU), and ECU all talk to each other over the CAN bus and maybe there was some sort of comm error. The sensors and solenoids within the PDK are not on the CAN bus but use simple analog or PWM signaling to the TCU. If those sensors went out of range (e.g. open of short circuit) then there would definitely be a fault stored as the TCU implements a deliberate procedure to lock out gears and disable functions in response to it (and throws very specific codes).

If I had to guess it would be that the gearshift selector had a comm issue with the TCU. So the TCU didn't think anything was wrong, just that it was getting the neutral signal from the gearshift so it left it in neutral. No codes were stored as the TCU didn't realize it was being commanded to change gears. Just a hypothesis but it seems to fit the symptoms. What I don't understand is why the dashboard indicator would change as that would come across the CAN bus also.

BTW, there is no fluid level sensor in the PDK, just temp and fluid pressure. If the fluid was low enough from the incline I suppose pressure could have been tripped but it should have stored a fault. Don't think it's likely though. Please post if it happens again. How's your battery condition?
I buy your gear shifter comm issue hypothesis. I’ve had cars not want to start for something like a bad ground on a gear shift module. Just never had one freak out while IN GEAR! I guess the PDK is a unique beast.

Funny you bring up the battery. It’s good, holds a charge, good crank, but it’s old - 2014 birthday. Mean anything?
Old 09-17-2020, 12:02 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

I buy your gear shifter comm issue hypothesis. I’ve had cars not want to start for something like a bad ground on a gear shift module. Just never had one freak out while IN GEAR! I guess the PDK is a unique beast.

Funny you bring up the battery. It’s good, holds a charge, good crank, but it’s old - 2014 birthday. Mean anything?
Probably not unless you were having electrical issues. Just fishing for ideas.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:10 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,467 Likes on 2,725 Posts

you know what, I was holding out for a manual but I settled for PDK because it had sport+. All I can say is I am thoroughly impressed by it. All things equal car would smoke a geezer in a manual
It's difficult smoking a Geezer in a MT car when your car is up on a lift having it's PDK repaired

Ironman88 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:28 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

I just took a look at the wiring diagrams to refresh my memory and realized something I forgot. Both the gearshift level and the TCU are on the CAN bus, but there's a dedicated serial data line going directly from the gearshift control only to the TCU. This would explain why the dashboard indicator showed the right gear but the TCU had the wrong gear. The dashboard gets it's info via the CAN bus whereas the TCU get's it's gear shift info directly from the gearshift control via that serial data line. (The TCU is on the CAN bus for other functions).

So if there is a fault with that serial data connection it would cause what you were seeing. This could just be an electrical glitch or possibly something flaky on either end in the TCU or the gearshift control (like the UART). Both units are much cheaper than a PDK if needed, don't know about the gearshift control but a TCU is ~$800. Hopefully it was just a glitch though.
David350 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:29 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by groovzilla
It's difficult smoking a Geezer in a MT car when your car is up on a lift having it's PDK repaired
Visa versa when your clutch is being replaced.
David350 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:03 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:27 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,467 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
Aye touché
Interesting that OP mentions he wanted a Manual Transmission car but "settled" for PDK
I Posted a thread several months ago regarding Manual vs PDK preference and also market value and I wonder how many PDK owners have "settled" for PDK because Manual Transmission cars are harder to locate?

In any case I hope OP's PDK issue is relatively simple and an quick easy fix. Hate hearing these stories.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:32 AM
David350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Interesting that OP mentions he wanted a Manual Transmission car but "settled" for PDK
I Posted a thread several months ago regarding Manual vs PDK preference and also market value and I wonder how many PDK owners have "settled" for PDK because Manual Transmission cars are harder to locate?

In any case I hope OP's PDK issue is relatively simple and an quick easy fix. Hate hearing these stories.
I’ll keep you all posted if the issue re-appears post PDK service.

re MT vs. PDK, I think it is an education thing. People (myself included) think of it as a boring automatic which it really isn’t. Combined with sport+ it is quite thrilling.
sandwedge (09-19-2020)

Quick Reply: PDK - gears not engaging